Top sites for scuba diving adventures in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the world’s greenest destinations and over recent years it has become a hotspot or adventure lovers. With two coastlines facing the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling adventures in the country, and it is home to a variety of diving sites such as Cocos Island, Cano Island and Catalina Islands.
Over recent years, Costa Rica has gained a reputation for being a destination for adventure and nature lovers. With two coastlines facing two difference oceans, there are plenty of places to enjoy snorkelling and scuba diving adventures.
With both a Caribbean coastline and a coastline facing the Pacific Ocean, there are a plethora of diving sites where visitors can explore the diverse marine life in crystal clear waters. The sea temperature in Costa Rica is around 21oC to 29oC, and the country’s dry season is November to May. However, if travellers want to catch sightings of hammerhead sharks, the beautiful creatures can be seen off the coast during the rainy season between June and November.
Diving sites around Costa Rica are plentiful and divers can explore the underwater volcanic rock formations, pinnacles and wide range of hard coral, soft coral, and sponges. Here are some of the best scuba diving sites to explore in Costa Rica.
Located about 300 miles off the mainland, Cocos Island is a World Heritage Site. The island is a great place to see marlin, sharks, and sailfish feeding in the nutrient-rich waters, and visitors can catch sightings of whale sharks and schools of hammerhead sharks.
Sea temperature averages between 24°C and 26°C, and visibility is between six and 25 metres. Divers can see a wide range of sea creatures including White Tip Reef Sharks, Dolphins, red-lipped batfish, octopi, eels, and Hammer Head Sharks.
Big Scare, Bat Island
The Big Scare drop at Bat Island measures more than 30 metres, and has ever-changing currents, so it’s best for advanced divers only. Visibility is seven to 23 metres, and divers might get the chance to swim with bull sharks. Marine species that frequent the waters include seahorses, devil rays, eagle rays, manta rays and whale sharks.
Located on the northwest side of the Pacific coast in the Gulf of Papagayo, Catalina Islands has six dive sites that are home to beautiful underwater arches, caves, caverns and volcanic rock formations. With visibility between five and 35 metres, divers will catch sightings of colourful corals, white tip reef sharks, sea turtles, moray eels, giant grouper, manta rays, and snapper. Visibility is usually between 5m and 35m.
Cano Island is situated in Drake Bay, on the northwest side of the Osa Peninsula, and it is one of the world’s most bio-diverse regions. There’s a variety of wildlife both on land and underwater, and it’s a top spot to see manta rays. Beneath the surface of the sea, divers can see jagged shelves, plates, drop-offs and large reef systems that encircle the idyllic island. The waters boast diverse marine creatures including orca whales, dolphins, pilot and humpback whales, and there’s a PADI dive centre at Pirate Cove Hotel where visitors can improve their scuba diving skills.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay in a Preferred Club room, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Enjoy activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- Choose between 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Enjoy all-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service.
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...