Top sites for scuba diving adventures in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the world’s greenest destinations and over recent years it has become a hotspot or adventure lovers. With two coastlines facing the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling adventures in the country, and it is home to a variety of diving sites such as Cocos Island, Cano Island and Catalina Islands.
Over recent years, Costa Rica has gained a reputation for being a destination for adventure and nature lovers. With two coastlines facing two difference oceans, there are plenty of places to enjoy snorkelling and scuba diving adventures.
With both a Caribbean coastline and a coastline facing the Pacific Ocean, there are a plethora of diving sites where visitors can explore the diverse marine life in crystal clear waters. The sea temperature in Costa Rica is around 21oC to 29oC, and the country’s dry season is November to May. However, if travellers want to catch sightings of hammerhead sharks, the beautiful creatures can be seen off the coast during the rainy season between June and November.
Diving sites around Costa Rica are plentiful and divers can explore the underwater volcanic rock formations, pinnacles and wide range of hard coral, soft coral, and sponges. Here are some of the best scuba diving sites to explore in Costa Rica.
Located about 300 miles off the mainland, Cocos Island is a World Heritage Site. The island is a great place to see marlin, sharks, and sailfish feeding in the nutrient-rich waters, and visitors can catch sightings of whale sharks and schools of hammerhead sharks.
Sea temperature averages between 24°C and 26°C, and visibility is between six and 25 metres. Divers can see a wide range of sea creatures including White Tip Reef Sharks, Dolphins, red-lipped batfish, octopi, eels, and Hammer Head Sharks.
Big Scare, Bat Island
The Big Scare drop at Bat Island measures more than 30 metres, and has ever-changing currents, so it’s best for advanced divers only. Visibility is seven to 23 metres, and divers might get the chance to swim with bull sharks. Marine species that frequent the waters include seahorses, devil rays, eagle rays, manta rays and whale sharks.
Located on the northwest side of the Pacific coast in the Gulf of Papagayo, Catalina Islands has six dive sites that are home to beautiful underwater arches, caves, caverns and volcanic rock formations. With visibility between five and 35 metres, divers will catch sightings of colourful corals, white tip reef sharks, sea turtles, moray eels, giant grouper, manta rays, and snapper. Visibility is usually between 5m and 35m.
Cano Island is situated in Drake Bay, on the northwest side of the Osa Peninsula, and it is one of the world’s most bio-diverse regions. There’s a variety of wildlife both on land and underwater, and it’s a top spot to see manta rays. Beneath the surface of the sea, divers can see jagged shelves, plates, drop-offs and large reef systems that encircle the idyllic island. The waters boast diverse marine creatures including orca whales, dolphins, pilot and humpback whales, and there’s a PADI dive centre at Pirate Cove Hotel where visitors can improve their scuba diving skills.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...