Dive St Lucia awarded Platinum LEED certification for its energy efficient practices
Dive St Lucia has become the world’s most energy-efficient scuba diving facility, after it was awarded a Platinum LEED certification by the United States Green Building Council. The accolade was celebrated with a poolside ceremony which was attended by was the country’s education minister Dr. Gale Rigobert, who is also responsible for sustainable development.
Dive St Lucia was honoured with a prestigious award earlier this month, when it became the world’s most energy efficient scuba diving facility. The centre received the Platinum LEED certification by the United States Green Building Council in recognition of its green practices and amenities.
The centre held a poolside ceremony to celebrate its achievement which added it to a select list of less than 1,300 platinum LEED-certified projects in the world. The ceremony was attended by the education minister in St Lucia, Dr. Gale Rigobert, who is also responsible for sustainable development.
Co-director of Dive St Lucia, Marcel Buechler first announced his ambitions to pursue the sustainability accreditation 36 months ago. The evaluation process of LEED projects is made up of six criteria: site sustainability, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality, and innovation in design. The platinum distinction is the highest possible rating awarded by the United States Green Building Council.
Dive St Lucia is a PADI-certified five-star Instructor Development Centre in Rodney Bay, which offers a wide range of PADI courses, from beginner to instructor, in its purpose-built pool. Experienced professional divers take locals and visitors to some of the island’s most beautiful underwater sites where they can discover coral reefs and sunken ships. The company also offers scuba diving packages and snorkelling tours on its two boats that have aluminium ladders and handrails for easy access into the water.
St Lucia boasts white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise, crystal-clear waters. Beneath the surface of the ocean, there is a plethora of marine delights, from colourful fish to diverse scuba diving sites. The Soufriere Marine Management Agency helps to protect the island’s fragile reefs and marine species from damage caused by climate change, tourism and fishing.
Some of Caribbean island’s most popular diving sites include Le Sport on the north coast where divers can catch sightings of Scorpion Fish and the Flying Gurnard, turtles and rays; Smugglers Cove, which is great for beginners; and Dinosaur Reef which resembles a sleeping dinosaur and is home to moray eels and parrot fish. The Soufriere Marine Reserve near Anse La Raye is also a hotspot for snorkelling and diving adventures, and is home to the Daini Koyomaru Wreck, a Japanese dredger which was sunk in 1996 to create an artificial reef, and Rosemund’s Trench, which has deep valleys, trenches and tunnels and boasts colourful coral, seahorses, and turtles.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Book one of the Honeymoon and Wedding Packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
- Unique Couples only resort designed for Honeymoons and Weddings
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...