Riviera Maya authorities to work with Secretariat of Ecology and Environment to prevent coastal erosion
Several popular coastal areas in the Riviera Maya in Mexico are to undergo recovery and restoration work to counteract coastal erosion before the annual influx of spring breakers. The state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment says that public beaches in five municipalities will need to be addressed, and officials are holding meetings with local hotel associations, local authorities, and sand dunes and reef restoration experts to discuss how they can keep the sand areas stable.
Beaches in the Riviera Maya are facing such severe coastal erosion problems that the state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment (SEMA) are calling for meetings with local authorities. The organisation is keen to develop a plan to counteract the erosion before the annual spring breakers arrive in the area.
Several beaches in five municipalities of the Quintana Roo state in Mexico will need attention. Some of the most vulnerable sandy stretches include Cozumel, Solidaridad, Tulum, Puerto Morelos and Benito Juarez, all of which have been affected by coastal erosion and the loss of sand dunes. Nearly 800 million pesos has already been allocated between 2006 to 2015 to try and keep the areas stable.
“The state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment (SEMA) is looking for strategies to recover, restore and create prevention measures to stop the loss of public beaches. For this reason, we will hold meetings with local authorities, hotel associations, trusts and sand dunes and reef restoration experts from the states of Yucatan and Veracruz.”
Stated Alfredo Arellano Guillermo, the Head of SEMA.
SEMA is working with the Secretariat of Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra), to create a new strategy that will save this area. The ongoing work will require billions of pesos of investment to help restore the reefs and the beach vegetation so that the sand will accumulate in the future and prevent erosion.
Alfredo Arellano Guillermo added that management accompanies by both technical and scientific advice is necessary to ensure further problems. The plan is to recover the five mentioned beaches, as well as others in the Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, and the shores near the Moon Palace resort.
The Quintana Roo province is located on the north east coast of Mexico and is home to the Yucatan Peninsula, the easternmost point of the country. It is Mexico’s most popular province for holidaymakers due to its tropical landscapes, Caribbean coastline, nature reserves, white sandy beaches and ancient Mayan ruins. The city of Cancun is a thriving tourist destination that is rich in culture and beautiful beaches, as well as shops, restaurants, bars, night clubs and luxury hotels.
As well as being a prime location for “spring break” celebrations, particularly with students from the United States, the region attracts travellers of all ages throughout the year thanks to its idyllic scenery, cultural diversity and ancient history. The region hosts regular annual festivals including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, the Oasis Dance U music event, and the Oasis Jazz Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...