Riviera Maya authorities to work with Secretariat of Ecology and Environment to prevent coastal erosion
Several popular coastal areas in the Riviera Maya in Mexico are to undergo recovery and restoration work to counteract coastal erosion before the annual influx of spring breakers. The state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment says that public beaches in five municipalities will need to be addressed, and officials are holding meetings with local hotel associations, local authorities, and sand dunes and reef restoration experts to discuss how they can keep the sand areas stable.
Beaches in the Riviera Maya are facing such severe coastal erosion problems that the state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment (SEMA) are calling for meetings with local authorities. The organisation is keen to develop a plan to counteract the erosion before the annual spring breakers arrive in the area.
Several beaches in five municipalities of the Quintana Roo state in Mexico will need attention. Some of the most vulnerable sandy stretches include Cozumel, Solidaridad, Tulum, Puerto Morelos and Benito Juarez, all of which have been affected by coastal erosion and the loss of sand dunes. Nearly 800 million pesos has already been allocated between 2006 to 2015 to try and keep the areas stable.
“The state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment (SEMA) is looking for strategies to recover, restore and create prevention measures to stop the loss of public beaches. For this reason, we will hold meetings with local authorities, hotel associations, trusts and sand dunes and reef restoration experts from the states of Yucatan and Veracruz.”
Stated Alfredo Arellano Guillermo, the Head of SEMA.
SEMA is working with the Secretariat of Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra), to create a new strategy that will save this area. The ongoing work will require billions of pesos of investment to help restore the reefs and the beach vegetation so that the sand will accumulate in the future and prevent erosion.
Alfredo Arellano Guillermo added that management accompanies by both technical and scientific advice is necessary to ensure further problems. The plan is to recover the five mentioned beaches, as well as others in the Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, and the shores near the Moon Palace resort.
The Quintana Roo province is located on the north east coast of Mexico and is home to the Yucatan Peninsula, the easternmost point of the country. It is Mexico’s most popular province for holidaymakers due to its tropical landscapes, Caribbean coastline, nature reserves, white sandy beaches and ancient Mayan ruins. The city of Cancun is a thriving tourist destination that is rich in culture and beautiful beaches, as well as shops, restaurants, bars, night clubs and luxury hotels.
As well as being a prime location for “spring break” celebrations, particularly with students from the United States, the region attracts travellers of all ages throughout the year thanks to its idyllic scenery, cultural diversity and ancient history. The region hosts regular annual festivals including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, the Oasis Dance U music event, and the Oasis Jazz Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...