Riviera Maya authorities to work with Secretariat of Ecology and Environment to prevent coastal erosion
Several popular coastal areas in the Riviera Maya in Mexico are to undergo recovery and restoration work to counteract coastal erosion before the annual influx of spring breakers. The state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment says that public beaches in five municipalities will need to be addressed, and officials are holding meetings with local hotel associations, local authorities, and sand dunes and reef restoration experts to discuss how they can keep the sand areas stable.
Beaches in the Riviera Maya are facing such severe coastal erosion problems that the state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment (SEMA) are calling for meetings with local authorities. The organisation is keen to develop a plan to counteract the erosion before the annual spring breakers arrive in the area.
Several beaches in five municipalities of the Quintana Roo state in Mexico will need attention. Some of the most vulnerable sandy stretches include Cozumel, Solidaridad, Tulum, Puerto Morelos and Benito Juarez, all of which have been affected by coastal erosion and the loss of sand dunes. Nearly 800 million pesos has already been allocated between 2006 to 2015 to try and keep the areas stable.
“The state Secretariat of Ecology and Environment (SEMA) is looking for strategies to recover, restore and create prevention measures to stop the loss of public beaches. For this reason, we will hold meetings with local authorities, hotel associations, trusts and sand dunes and reef restoration experts from the states of Yucatan and Veracruz.”
Stated Alfredo Arellano Guillermo, the Head of SEMA.
SEMA is working with the Secretariat of Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra), to create a new strategy that will save this area. The ongoing work will require billions of pesos of investment to help restore the reefs and the beach vegetation so that the sand will accumulate in the future and prevent erosion.
Alfredo Arellano Guillermo added that management accompanies by both technical and scientific advice is necessary to ensure further problems. The plan is to recover the five mentioned beaches, as well as others in the Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, and the shores near the Moon Palace resort.
The Quintana Roo province is located on the north east coast of Mexico and is home to the Yucatan Peninsula, the easternmost point of the country. It is Mexico’s most popular province for holidaymakers due to its tropical landscapes, Caribbean coastline, nature reserves, white sandy beaches and ancient Mayan ruins. The city of Cancun is a thriving tourist destination that is rich in culture and beautiful beaches, as well as shops, restaurants, bars, night clubs and luxury hotels.
As well as being a prime location for “spring break” celebrations, particularly with students from the United States, the region attracts travellers of all ages throughout the year thanks to its idyllic scenery, cultural diversity and ancient history. The region hosts regular annual festivals including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, the Oasis Dance U music event, and the Oasis Jazz Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...