Dragon Bay Resort in Jamaica, Sandals' plans to rebuild and open by 2019
Sandals Resorts International has announced that it will rebuild the old Dragon Bay Resort in Port Antonio on the northeast coast of Jamaica. The $100 million reconstruction project will transform the resort, which was acquired by Sandals in 2002. According to Sandals, the 157-suite resort will open in 2019, and it will not be a Beaches or Sandals-branded property.
Sandals Resorts International has revealed it will be transforming the Dragon Bay Resort in Jamaica into a “brand new concept” resort. The Caribbean hotel group acquired the resort in 2002, and it has been closed since then.
This year, the hotel company will start a $100 million reconstruction project on the resort, which is located in Port Antonio on the northeast coast of Jamaica. The property will have 157 suites, and it is scheduled to open in 2019.
"The hotel will not be a Beaches or Sandals. Innovations are going to be part and parcel of Dragon Bay. It will be the introduction of a brand new concept."
Stated Adam Stewart, the CEO of Sandals Resorts International.
Stewart added that the hotel project had always been a dream of his father’s, the founder of Sandals, Gordon “Butch” Stewart. Since the company bought the resort in 2002, there have been year-on-year hurricanes that have led to poor road conditions and put a hold on the resort project.
Last December, Sandals announced that it was entering into a joint partnership with the Jamaican government to re-develop Port Antonio. Airlift in the area has been a long-term problem in Port Antonio, and the new collaboration will see the expansion of the runway at the Ian Fleming International Airport, as well as an expansion of the North Coast Highway from Portland to Ocho Rio.
Last year, the Jamaican government opened the new North-South link of Highway 2000. The highway links Kingston and Ocho Rios, and reduces travel time by 30 minutes for travellers arriving and departing from Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston in the south and Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay in the north.
Sandals International Resorts is the leading hotel group in the Caribbean, and it owns and operates an array of luxury all-inclusive hotels and resorts throughout the tropical region. The company was founded in the 1980s with its first resort opening in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and it now has properties in more destinations such as St Lucia, Antigua, The Bahamas, Grenada and Turks and Caicos under its brands: Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts and Grand Pineapple Beach Resorts.
Dragon Bay Resort was once a thriving hotel and is located by the Dragon Bay Beach where the film “Cocktail” starring Tom Cruise was filmed. Since it closed more than 10 years ago, Port Antonio has become a ghost town, but the redevelopment is said to bring life back to the area, as well as new jobs for locals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...