Barbados recorded increase in tourist arrivals and visitor spending in 2016
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation has revealed that Barbados recorded a 6.7 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016, compared to 2015. The Barbados Statistical Service reported that the Caribbean island received 631,513 stay-over visitors between January and December last year, and there was an increase of arrivals every month of the year except for April.
The island of Barbados is experience a growth in tourism following an increase in visitors last year. The Caribbean Tourism Organisation revealed that the island recorded a 6.7 per cent increase in visitors in 2016, compared to the year before.
Figures released by the Barbados Statistical Service show that Barbados received a total of 631,513 stay-over travellers between January and December, 2016. Every month apart from April recorded an increase in visitors, and the top performing months were December, November, January, and February.
The majority of holidaymakers originated from the United Kingdom and remains the island’s main source market. A total of 218,638 stay-over visitors from the UK were recorded last year, which was 2.1 per cent increase compared to 2015. The numbers made up 35 per cent of the total number of international visitors to Barbados. The United States was the second main source market, with a 27 per cent share in the visitors totalling 168,945 arrivals. This was an increase of 14.1 per cent compared to the year before.
Statistics from the CTO Quarterly Exit Survey showed that the daily average spend of stay-over tourists was $167.41, and slight increase compared to $164.40 recorded in 2015. The highest spending visitors were from the United States, and the total expenditure increased by 18.5 per cent. Overall, Europe was the highest-spending continent with $61 million recorded during 2016.
Barbados is one of the Caribbean’s most popular holiday destinations, thanks to its idyllic tropical landscapes and all-year-round warm weather and sunshine.
The country is home to luxury beachfront hotels, charming B&Bs, and upscale self-catering accommodation. The white sand beaches are a huge attraction for holidaymakers, and they can enjoy a variety of fun activities on the beach or in the turquoise sea. Some of the most popular activities include beach volleyball, snorkelling, scuba diving, kayaking, sailing and jet-skiing.
Visitors can explore the island’s heritage and history at its museums, former sugar plantations, forts, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bridgetown. Popular attractions include the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary, towns of Holetown and Speightstown, Harrison’s Cave, St Nicholas Abbey, Andromeda Botanic Gardens, Government Buildings and Crane Beach.
The island hosts a range of annual events that can be enjoyed by locals and visitors of all ages. These include the Dragon World Championships, the Barbados Festival of Cycling, the Barbados beach Wellness Festival, the Crop Over festival, and the Barbados Food, Wine and Run Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...