London Symphony Orchestra to perform open-air concert in Old Hanoi
Hanoi's heritage quarter around Hoan Kiem Lake is set to become the backdrop for an exclusive concert from the London Symphony Orchestra next month. The open-air performance is part of the Vietnam Airlines Classic – Hanoi Concert, an annual event that promotes arts and culture in the Vietnamese capital.
The London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) travels to the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi next month to perform an open-air concert in the city’s heritage quarter. The annual Vietnam Airlines Classic – Hanoi Concert 2017 is scheduled for the evening of 4 March and will feature nearly two hours of classical music in the unique setting of Ly Thai To Statue and Flower Gardens beside Hoan Kiem Lake.
The performance by the LSO at the yearly event held by Vietnam Airlines will be the first ever by a British orchestra in Vietnam. The almost 100-strong orchestra of the world’s finest classical musicians will be led by conductor Elim Chan, who was the first female conductor to win the Donatella Flick LSO conducting competition, before going on to become the LSO’s conductor.
The concert in Old Hanoi will be the final stop on LSO’s tour of Asia. For those who can’t get tickets, the event will also be beamed live from big screens in nearby Dinh Tien Hoang Street and Tonkin Free School Square.
According to Vietnam Airlines the concert is designed
“(...) to bring world-class cultural and artistic works to local audiences, as well as promoting cultural exchange between Vietnam and other parts of the world.”
Many well-known classical musicians, choirs, symphony orchestras and ballet troupes have been invited to perform in previous years. The airline said it hopes events like this will help showcase Hanoi as a destination for arts and culture enthusiasts.
According to Hanoi Times, the organisers are going to great lengths to ensure outdoor sound quality for the event. About 4.5 tons of equipment and 367 types of instruments will be shipped from the UK to Hanoi to prepare for the upcoming concert.
It’s the first in a programme of cultural tourism activities involving international co-operation planned over the next five years and is expected to be an attractive arts event and a unique experience for both local residents and tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Combine the bustling streets of Hanoi with an idyllic beachfront stay in Danang
- Range of water sports available on Non Nuoc Beach
- Complimentary shuttle from the beach to Hoi An and Danang City
- Charming boutique hotel set in Hanoi’s Old Quarter
An indepth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Get under the skin of Vietnam with an adventurous tour taking in the classic sights as well as getting off the beaten track
- Overnight train to Sapa - hike through the hills and meet remote communities
- Overnight cruise down the Mekong River on a converted rice barge with all modern amenities
- Spend the night in Halong Bay and see the sun rise over the remarkable karst landscape (includes meals)
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
Discover the beauty and unique heritage of Vietnam with this incredible tour across some of its most famous sites and...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...
Discover the beauty of a superb Sandy Beach Non Nuoc Resort Danang, located by the pristine stretch of beach and...