Call us today on 020 7644 1770

News

New luxury hotel planned for Platte Island in Seychelles

The Island Development Company (IDC) has announced that the construction of a brand new luxury hotel on Platte Island in the Seychelles is scheduled to commence this year. Located 170 kilometres south east of the capital Mahe on the flat island of Platte, the hotel will have approximately 60 guest rooms and will cost around $75 million. The project is being carried out in a bid attract more tourists and revenue to the nation.

New luxury hotel planned for Platte Island in Seychelles

A brand new hotel is coming to the Seychelles on the idyllic island of Platte. The government-owned Island Development Company (IDC) will start the construction of the hotel next year, in a bid to attract more tourists and revenue to the lesser-known island.

An environmental impact assessment and feasibility study have already been carried out, and the project will begin once they receive approval from the Seychelles government.The property will have around 70 guest rooms and will cost approximately $75 million.

There was speculation in the media about whether the hotel would be given permission to be built following the placement of a moratorium on hotel development in the Seychelles. However, the Platte development has not been affected because initial approval for the project was granted by the government a few years ago.

Platte Island is situated 170 kilometres south-east of the capital Mahe, and is spans about 0.54 square-kilometres. The low and flat island is encircled by a reef and has its very own azure lagoon.

The project belongs to the Platte Island Development Limited company who currently own the Four Seasons hotel group, and have 80 per cent shares on the new Platte project. The other 20 per cent shares are owned by the Island Development Company who will rent the land to the developer for 60 years, after which all infrastructure will be returned to IDC.

Glenny Savy, the Chief Executive of IDC, explained :

“For those 60 years, they will pay rental for the leased land. We will sell them our services, such as flights and boat transport to carry fuel, equipment and merchandise to the island for which we get paid.”

Before construction of the new luxury Platte Island hotel can be built, the existing airfield will have to be resurfaced, a cost which will be covered by the developer. It has not yet been revealed who will manage and operate the new hotel.

The Seychelles is an archipelago nation located in the Indian Ocean. With 115 islands scattered in the turquoise sea, three main ones are the capital Mahe, and Praslin and La Digue.

On Mahe, beautiful landscapes are made up of white sandy beaches and huge granite boulders that peep out of the sea on Beau Vallon Beach. Holidaymakers can hike through the lush Morne Seychellois National Park on Mahe, and enjoy the colourful flora and fauna, cascading waterfalls, and diverse wildlife.

The crystal clear sea is perfect for scuba diving and snorkelling, and tourists can explore colourful coral reefs and sunken wrecks. The waters are home to gliding stingrays, reef sharks, hawksbill turtles, manta rays and whale sharks.

The small capital city of Victoria on Mahe boasts colonial architecture, and the Sir Selwyn Clarke Market has stalls selling coconut products, spices, and handicrafts.

On Praslin Island, travellers can visit the Praslin Museum, the George Camille Art Gallery, and the one-of-a-kind Black Pearl Ocean Farm. Island-hopping is a popular activity, and tourists can enjoy picnics and snorkelling in secluded coves, or a trip to L’Union Estate on La Digue Island where they can go horse riding or visit the huge land tortoises.

Leave a comment

Talk to a specialist

mahesh

Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.

Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT

Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all

Best Value

From £869 per person
reef holidays apartments

Reef Holidays Apartments

Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...

From £909 per person
au fond de mer view

Au Fond De Mer View

Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....

From £959 per person
berjaya beau vallon bay beach resort and casino

Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Beach Resort and Casino

Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...

From £959 per person
villa koket

Villa Koket

Situated on the northern coast of Mahe, Villa Koket is ideal for those looking for a peaceful self-catering getaway near...