St Lucia reveals details of new proposed sports and leisure development on south of island
St Lucia is planning to open a brand new sports and leisure resort nicknamed "the Pearl of the Caribbean". Government officials have launched a public consultation to develop the resort that will be located on the south of the Caribbean island. It will have a marina, a shopping mall, holiday villas, a casino, residential apartments, a Free Trade Zone, a race course, and a variety of entertainment and leisure facilities.
The “Pearl of the Caribbean” is set to come to the island of St Lucia, after the government announced plans to build a new sport and leisure resort. Government officials have launched a public consultation on plans for the development which will be located on the south of the island.
The government has partnered with the Invest Saint Lucia (ISL) group to ask for feedback from the general public on the complex that is said to cost US $2.6 billion and will be completed in several stages. A fact-sheet has been handed out to locals by the government about concerns raised by the public about the price of the land being sold, and whether beach access for the public will be limited by the development.
The first phase has already been approved, pending the results of an environmental study, and will see the construction of a new racecourse that will span 200 acres in the town of Vieux Fort and will host racing carnivals.
Most of the land that has been allocated for the new development is currently not in use, and so far, there is one farmer who will be affected by the project. Seryozha Cenac, the corporate secretary for Invest Saint Lucia (ISL), said that they are prepared to negotiate fairly with the farmer:
"I don’t think the interest of one single individual should outweigh that of an entire population, so all of these things have to be put to scale and weighed – what the pros and cons are of any particular project.”
“From ISL's point of view, we can see that the project is most advantageous to Vieux Fort.”
The plans for the new complex include a marina, a casino, a racecourse, a shopping mall, a Free Trade Zone, facilities for entertainment and leisure, luxury holiday villas and residential apartments. There are also plans to renovate the existing but neglected 9,000-capacity George Odlum football stadium.
Vieux Fort is a town on the south coast of St Lucia which was named after a fort that was once used to watch out towards the island of St Vincent. In the area, tourists can relax on the pristine palm-fringed white sand beaches, and take part in fun activities in the aquamarine sea, or visit nearby Savannes Bay for water sports such as windsurfing, kayaking, fishing and sailing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
With 30 cottage style suites, lush tropical garden, and a secluded sandy beach, the hotel is sure to make your tropical getaway truly unforgettable.
- Visit the hotel's Open Air Spa Pavilion to enjoy a variety of beauty treatments and relaxing massages as well as the soothing sounds of the garden and the cooling tropical breeze.
- Have some fun in the sun and on the water with a variety of watersports available, including hobie cat sailing, kayaking, snorkelling, and more.
- Enjoy a variety of Exclusive Experiences offered by the hotel, including daily Yoga and Pilates classes, hiking tours, and an open air fitness area.
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...