St Lucia reveals details of new proposed sports and leisure development on south of island
St Lucia is planning to open a brand new sports and leisure resort nicknamed "the Pearl of the Caribbean". Government officials have launched a public consultation to develop the resort that will be located on the south of the Caribbean island. It will have a marina, a shopping mall, holiday villas, a casino, residential apartments, a Free Trade Zone, a race course, and a variety of entertainment and leisure facilities.
The “Pearl of the Caribbean” is set to come to the island of St Lucia, after the government announced plans to build a new sport and leisure resort. Government officials have launched a public consultation on plans for the development which will be located on the south of the island.
The government has partnered with the Invest Saint Lucia (ISL) group to ask for feedback from the general public on the complex that is said to cost US $2.6 billion and will be completed in several stages. A fact-sheet has been handed out to locals by the government about concerns raised by the public about the price of the land being sold, and whether beach access for the public will be limited by the development.
The first phase has already been approved, pending the results of an environmental study, and will see the construction of a new racecourse that will span 200 acres in the town of Vieux Fort and will host racing carnivals.
Most of the land that has been allocated for the new development is currently not in use, and so far, there is one farmer who will be affected by the project. Seryozha Cenac, the corporate secretary for Invest Saint Lucia (ISL), said that they are prepared to negotiate fairly with the farmer:
"I don’t think the interest of one single individual should outweigh that of an entire population, so all of these things have to be put to scale and weighed – what the pros and cons are of any particular project.”
“From ISL's point of view, we can see that the project is most advantageous to Vieux Fort.”
The plans for the new complex include a marina, a casino, a racecourse, a shopping mall, a Free Trade Zone, facilities for entertainment and leisure, luxury holiday villas and residential apartments. There are also plans to renovate the existing but neglected 9,000-capacity George Odlum football stadium.
Vieux Fort is a town on the south coast of St Lucia which was named after a fort that was once used to watch out towards the island of St Vincent. In the area, tourists can relax on the pristine palm-fringed white sand beaches, and take part in fun activities in the aquamarine sea, or visit nearby Savannes Bay for water sports such as windsurfing, kayaking, fishing and sailing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- New Sale with incredible savings of upto 30% in all room types plus an exclusive upgrade to the next room
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Book one of the Honeymoon and Wedding Packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
- Unique Couples only resort designed for Honeymoons and Weddings
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
Check into a pretty boutique hotel and experience St Lucia's best beaches, restaurants and nightlife - you can even try your luck at Treasure Bay Casino!
- Exclusive! Book and save £500 per person!
- Perfectly placed at the heart of lively Rodney Bay Village
- Go for a de-stressing or beautifying treatment at the hotel's spa
- Enjoy a spicy island vibe at the hotel's Koko Cabana Bistro & Bar, offering regular live entertainment, barbecues & much more
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...