Mauritius celebrates the double-digit growth of its travel industry
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
The island nation of Mauritius is celebrating its second year of double-digit growth in international visitors. According to the Mauritius Tourism Authority, the country received 1.28 million visitors in 2016, an 11 per cent increase compared to the year before.
The number of tourists from the UK increased by nine per cent year on year, and the total number of European visitors reached 734,506, making up two thirds of the final total of international travellers. The increased visitor arrivals are said to have been helped by the Mauritius 365 campaign, which promoted the country’s low season (May to September) campaign, and highlighted the refurbishment of many of the island’s hotels, resorts and attractions.
The statistics office in Mauritius is predicting a 4.3 per cent increase in the number of international tourists in 2017 this year, with a target of 1.3 million. Tourism revenues reached nearly $1.4 billion in 2016, and are expected to reach approximately $1.6 billion this year.
Mauritius is a picturesque island that is home to tropical postcard-perfect landscapes including white sandy palm-fringed beaches, turquoise sea, and emerald hills. The country is a hotspot for romantic breaks, honeymoons, and family breaks where visitors can enjoy a wide range of activities, or enjoy the all-year-round sunshine.
For nature-loving tourists, there’s the Black River Gorges National Park with cascading waterfalls, thriving rainforests, and diverse wildlife species. The Crocodile and Giant Tortoise Park is a great place to catch sightings of these huge creatures and learn more about them.
Water-lovers can take part in fun activities in the sea such as kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, snorkelling, or scuba diving. The surrounding reefs are teeming with colourful marine creatures, and visitors can swim alongside sea turtles, parrot fish, groupers, angelfish, sergeant majors, trumpet and clown fish, and moray eels. Divers can enjoy crystal-clear waters and access to various sites including cliffs, caverns, reefs, pinnacles and sunken shipwrecks.
On the north-west coast of Mauritius is the capital city of Port Louis. Visitors can stroll along streets lined with historic buildings and sites such as the Forte Adelaide, the UNESCO-listed Aapravasi Ghat, and Place D’Armes. The bustling Caudan Waterfront is full of restaurants, cafes, and shops where tourists can pick up a local souvenir or handcrafted gift.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
luxury resort ideal for both couples and families
- Click through for our special Honeymoon Offers
- Located on the Bel Ombre's beach the resort is offering own nature reserve to explore
- Guests can benefit from a daily free green fees, mini bar in each room, or the fabulous spa treatments including one free 45-minute spa treatment per person per stay
Mauritius is more than sugar and spice, it's a melting pot of fusion cooking, hospitable islanders and stunning natural surroundings - experience it all at the Intercontinental Mauritius
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Relax & rejuvenate at the Yuj Spa - Inspired by the various local cultural manipulation and wellness practices
- Indulge in a selection of Four Restaurants from Asian Fusion, Indian to Mauritian Cuisine
- Enjoy Evening Entertainment including Dance shows & Music Bands
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...