Abu Dhabi continues to see increase in guest arrivals
Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture announced that the country saw an eight per cent increase in tourists in 2016. Nearly 4.5 million tourists checked into Abu Dhabi hotels last year, a significant increase over the prior year. Among international visitors to Abu Dhabi, the UK contributed the third largest number of guests.
Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority reports that 2016 saw an eight per cent increase in the city’s hotel guests compared to 2015. A total of 4,440,314 guests checked into hotels in Abu Dhabi in 2016.
Among those visitors, the UK is the third highest contributor and the leading European market. In 2016, the number of visitors to Abu Dhabi from the UK increased to 238,167, a three per cent increase from 2015. The authority also reports that UK guests are among those who stay the longest, with an average visit of 3.96 nights.
Abu Dhabi’s top ten inbound markets for 2016 were: UAE, India, UK, China, Philippines, Egypt, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, USA, Germany, and Jordan.
The country was founded in 1971, and has experienced rapid change and development, although not, perhaps, on the same disorienting scale as Dubai. Though still very much an Arabic country, English is widely spoken in Abu Dhabi, making it especially attractive for English-speaking travellers. Additionally, it boasts year-round sunny weather, fine beaches, and a modern, safe environment.
Visitors to Abu Dhabi will find that it is an immensely well-planned city with numerous large developments in the works. It’s still a relatively new destination for international tourists, meaning that visitors aren’t likely to encounter unmanageable crowds or the kind of loud, drunken behaviour that is common in well-trod tourist spots.
Among the many attractions in Abu Dhabi, the Corniche, or the seafront, is arguably the most impressive site in the city. Roughly eight kilometres, it has a pedestrianized promenade, including cafes and restaurants. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is also one of Abu Dhabi’s most iconic sites.
A massive mosque that can accommodate 41,000 worshippers, it is one of the few mosques in the region that is open to non-Muslims. With more than 1000 pillars as well as enormous minarets, the mosque is considered an outstanding example of modern Islamic architecture.
Like its neighbour Dubai, Abu Dhabi also has its share of modern attractions, such Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. The attraction is currently developing plans to add 19 additional rides and attractions, including Turbo Track, a 180-metre track based on a Ferrari training facility.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Choose from 15 award-winning restaurants and bars including a famous Jazz Bar
- One of the longest stretches of private beach in Abu Dhabi
- Facilities include swimming pools, tennis courts and a selection of watersports
Unwind and be pampered at a luxurious beachside retreat in the golden shores of the Arabian Gulf, on Abu Dhabi's Corniche.
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Upgrade your experience and book a room including tickets to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Direct connection to Al Raha Mall for the perfect shopping experience
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
Come and experience the dreamlike beauty of the stunning Radisson Blu on the coast of the famous Yas Island. With the...