San Jose, Costa Rica - a must for chocolate lovers
For sweet-toothed visitors to Costa Rica, a trip to Sibu Chocolate should not be missed. It offers guests the opportunity not only to sample some of the country’s fine chocolate, but to learn about chocolate’s place in history. Consider it a sweet, chocolate-flavoured version of a wine-tasting in an exotic tropical environment.
Among Costa Rica’s many charms is one that is sure to be irresistible to anyone with a sweet tooth—Sibu Chocolate, a chocolate-tasting tour that must be experienced to be believed.
A short drive north of downtown San Jose and located in a picturesque restaurant, the chocolate tour is part culinary experience and part history lesson. In spite of its somewhat misleading name, there is no actual walking involved in the “tour;” instead, guests sit around a comfortable table while delectable tasting plates are prepared.
The experience begins with hot chocolate, but not the thin, flavourless chocolate most people know. This is a deep, rich hot chocolate, a delightful introduction to the wonders to come. Under the guidance of Julio, one of Sibu Chocolate’s founders, guests are given a variety of chocolates to try and are given guidance in identifying the different flavours and notes in the chocolates. Many of Sibu’s chocolates combine unusual flavours, such as lime and coriander with white chocolate.
But a chocolate tasting at Sibu isn’t only about eating chocolates. Julio and Sibu’s other guides give an informative and fascinating account of chocolate’s role in society from the beginning of civilization. The discussion covers the ways that indigenous people drank their chocolate and how the treat first made its way to Europe. The discussion covers as much material as a university seminar, but in a light-hearted and often comedic manner.
Assuming visitors to Sibu Chocolate aren’t too full after indulging in copious amounts of chocolate, there is also a farm-to-table lunch menu, offering a generous variety of savoury to balance out all of the sweet.
Costa Rica is becoming increasingly known for its chocolate, particularly artisanal chocolates. Chocolate was an important part of the country’s economy until the mid-twentieth century, when a fungus wiped out the majority of Costa Rica’s cacao crop. As a result, most growers either abandoned their farms or learned to cultivate other crops. Although Costa Rica’s production of chocolate is still in its infancy, the quality of its cacao beans is not up for debate; its quality surpasses that of other countries in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay in a Preferred Club room, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Enjoy activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- Choose between 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Enjoy all-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service.
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...