Maldives' Hideaway Beach Resort launches free-diving school
The Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa in the Maldives has added a new free-diving programme to its list of aquatic activities available to guests. The PADI-accredited lessons will allow guests to explore the surrounding coral reefs without underwater breathing apparatus.
The five-star Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa in the Maldives has launched PADI free-diving classes at its on-site Meridis Dive and Relax dive centre. The resort is one of a handful of hotels in the tropical archipelago to offer free-diving to guests.
Designed for both novices and diving enthusiasts, the new lessons teach guests the art of moving efficiently underwater with one single breath and without the use of scuba apparatus. Freed from the weight of bulky scuba equipment, divers can have a more natural and immersive experience exploring the Maldives famously rich coral reefs and crystalline waters. With no oxygen bubbles to distort visibility, it’s easier to get an up-close look at the island's most exotic sea life, from dolphins and stingrays to whale sharks and sea turtles.
The freediving classes are run by professional and knowledgeable instructors, Yuko Nolte and Kirsten Franz-Peter Nolt, who have more than 20 years of collective diving expertise. Combining the practices used in yoga and meditation, guests will learn free-diving techniques as well as the fundamental principles of breath-hold (Apnea), and the ways to manage the urge to breathe underwater.
Meridis Dive & Relax offers an array of PADI-accredited free-diving lessons, including one- to three-day beginner courses incorporating essential techniques such as streamlining and duck diving, and a three-day advanced course teaching the skills necessary to reach depths of up to 24 metres.
The one-day fun free-diving lesson takes divers out to two sites of their choice by boat. Guests can choose to explore the Aquarium dive site featuring two ship wrecks at 16 metres teeming with marine life including manta rays, moray eels and lion fish. Another spectacular dive site is Mathi Faru with colourful soft corals, octopi and stingrays. For those new to free-diving, Mathi Faru offers a reef plateau just 10 metres deep, while advanced divers can explore its vertical wall dropping down to 30 metres.
Fun free-diving lessons start from £91 per person including two dives over the course of one day and a designated free-diving instructor.
The luxury Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa is surrounded by a unique reef system and numerous shelving sandy beaches, with almost 50 dive spots close by. Its extensive facilities include the first fully functional marina in the Maldives.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
All villas are surrounded by palm trees or on stilts over the lagoon, making for a memorable stay.
- Free Upgarde from Half Board to All Inclusive! Book Now!
- Set on the tropical island of Dhuni Kolhu surrounded by warm waters of the Indian Ocean, and located only 30 minutes by sea plane from Male International Airport.
- Witness schools of dolphins playing in the azure waters or try fishing in the traditional Maldivian way while enjoying breath-taking sunset
- Find a state of relaxation with a variety of different treatments and massages created to indulge personal desires for well-being
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Eriyadu Island is located in the far North Western edge of North Male Atoll, the island is the perfect tropical escape...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...