Maldives' Hideaway Beach Resort launches free-diving school
The Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa in the Maldives has added a new free-diving programme to its list of aquatic activities available to guests. The PADI-accredited lessons will allow guests to explore the surrounding coral reefs without underwater breathing apparatus.
The five-star Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa in the Maldives has launched PADI free-diving classes at its on-site Meridis Dive and Relax dive centre. The resort is one of a handful of hotels in the tropical archipelago to offer free-diving to guests.
Designed for both novices and diving enthusiasts, the new lessons teach guests the art of moving efficiently underwater with one single breath and without the use of scuba apparatus. Freed from the weight of bulky scuba equipment, divers can have a more natural and immersive experience exploring the Maldives famously rich coral reefs and crystalline waters. With no oxygen bubbles to distort visibility, it’s easier to get an up-close look at the island's most exotic sea life, from dolphins and stingrays to whale sharks and sea turtles.
The freediving classes are run by professional and knowledgeable instructors, Yuko Nolte and Kirsten Franz-Peter Nolt, who have more than 20 years of collective diving expertise. Combining the practices used in yoga and meditation, guests will learn free-diving techniques as well as the fundamental principles of breath-hold (Apnea), and the ways to manage the urge to breathe underwater.
Meridis Dive & Relax offers an array of PADI-accredited free-diving lessons, including one- to three-day beginner courses incorporating essential techniques such as streamlining and duck diving, and a three-day advanced course teaching the skills necessary to reach depths of up to 24 metres.
The one-day fun free-diving lesson takes divers out to two sites of their choice by boat. Guests can choose to explore the Aquarium dive site featuring two ship wrecks at 16 metres teeming with marine life including manta rays, moray eels and lion fish. Another spectacular dive site is Mathi Faru with colourful soft corals, octopi and stingrays. For those new to free-diving, Mathi Faru offers a reef plateau just 10 metres deep, while advanced divers can explore its vertical wall dropping down to 30 metres.
Fun free-diving lessons start from £91 per person including two dives over the course of one day and a designated free-diving instructor.
The luxury Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa is surrounded by a unique reef system and numerous shelving sandy beaches, with almost 50 dive spots close by. Its extensive facilities include the first fully functional marina in the Maldives.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....