Sonevi Jani resort opens to guests in Noonu Atoll in the Maldives
The luxurious Soneva Jani island resort has officially opened to guests in the Maldives. The eco-resort is located in the Noonu Atoll on the 150-acre island of Medhufaru, and it has 24 water villas and a four-bedroom island villa, as well as lavish facilities including an outdoor cinema, a full-service spa, a dive centre, an observatory and five restaurants.
The island retreat Sonevi Jani has finally opened to guests in the Maldives. The beautiful eco-resort sits on 150-acre island of Medhufaru, and is surrounded by a 5.6-kilometre sparkling turquoise lagoon.
Encircled by four other uninhabited islands in the Noonu Atoll, the resort offers guests privacy and seclusion during their stay, as well as 24 beautiful water villas and a four-bedroom lavish island villa. Guests can choose from one, two, three and four-bedroom villas that all boast direct access to individual parts of the lagoon via private decks with 13-metre-long private pools and water slides.
The villas have been carefully designed to accommodate guests of all ages, and there’s a sleeping area for children in the main bedroom, a study, a top deck dining area, an outdoor patio with sunken dining table, and living areas. Highlights of the villas include three separate glass-bottomed areas where guests can watch colourful marine life in the lagoon below, and the retractable roofs in the master bedrooms where visitors can lie in the comfort of their beds and gaze up at the starry sky.
Sonu Shivdasani, the CEO and founder of Soneva, commented:
“It has been said that if Soneva Fushi was its own island, Soneva Jani is its own ‘atoll’, as it’s actually a small archipelago of five islands (four of them deserted) within the Medhufaru lagoon.”
“In fact, Medhufaru island is the largest tourist island in the Maldives. Plus, the lagoon is huge; more than 7,000 Olympic swimming pools can fit inside it. In this massive space with the islands and the lagoon, there are only 25 villas. It’s one of the lowest density resorts in the world, by far.”
Unique facilities at the island resort include an observatory where guests can get a close look at the stars with the help of the resident Astronomer, or if they want to stargaze while dining, there are four tables with screens that show live views of the sky. The outdoor Cinema Paradiso is a great place to watch films, and guest wear Bluetooth earphones so they will not disturb the nearby wildlife.
At the centre of the resort is the three-storey The Gathering building where the five diverse restaurants, and cheese, chocolate, ice-cream and charcuterie rooms are housed, and there’s also a library, a wine cellar, a children’s den, and a lavish spa. The Soleni Dive Centre and Marine Biology Champa offer holidaymakers the chance to get up close to the marine species through scuba diving and snorkelling activities, and educational workshops.
The resort has been built with environmental protection at the forefront, and there are several sustainable practises in place such as seawater being uses in pools with UV filtration systems, the use of solar panels for electricity, and an Eco-Centro Waste-to-Wealth centre. The overwater villas have also been constructed over the sandy bed of the lagoon, rather than the delicate coral reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
The lush vegetation, shimmering waters and serene sea air all help the natural elements make this a relaxing break.
- Free Wi-fi allows you to keep up to date with all the latest news in the relaxing and comfortable rooms or villas
- Enjoy the fabulous Dive Centre with professional staff that will guide you throughout your underwater adventure to ensure you experience the lush gardens, colourful fish and magnificent seascapes
- Leave your daily stress behind and treat yourself with a magical Spa treatment
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....