Preparations advance for Leonardo DiCaprio's Blackadore Caye hotel project
After it was first announced in the spring of 2015, Leonardo DiCaprio's hotel project in his very own private island off the coast of Belize is taking significant steps forward. Set in the enchanting Blackadore Cave, this venue is being designed by firm Denniston which aims to provide the most comfortable accommodations all the while preserving and protecting the island's rich biodiversity.
Since he purchased a private island off the coast of Belize in 2005, Hollywood sensation Leonardo DiCaprio was interested in protecting its stunning nature. Last year, the Oscar-winning actor announced the project for building a lavish, eco-friendly hotel in Blackadore Caye aiming to set the bar high for green hospitality and local ecosystem restoration. Currently being developed by design firm Denniston, the ambitious project is taking significant steps forward in order to open its doors to the public soon.
For the time being, Blackadore Caye will feature 36 resort bungalows and 36 estate homes. This charming island is set to the west of Ambergris Cay, Belize’s largest island, and is home to breath-taking landscapes, making it a paradise-like destination for nature lovers. In order to be as respectful as possible to the environment, DiCaprio and his team have been asking for the opinion of local stakeholders and citizens on the original project design.
The project developers will be taking all this feedback into account, including key concerns like the removal of overwater structures which, according to a few local environmentalists “garnered great design acclaim” but proved risky for the surroundings. DiCaprio has invested a great sum into making sure the island’s infrastructure is being designed under a “unique conservation framework developed by top biologists and ecologists,” who have reportedly studied ways to support and enhance the island’s habitat and biodiversity.
Taking an avant-garde approach on eco-friendly technologies and luxury, all of the project’s power will be sourced from renewable energy, while water will be provided through rainwater collection and onsite water treatment. Flora and fauna are also being respected, as developers plan to replant mangrove, enhance soil and habitat, as well as replace invasive species with native species.
Preparations for the ground-breaking eco-lodgings of Blackadore Caye continue to move forward. Nonetheless, this hasn’t been the only environment-friendly project the renowned Italian-American actor has embarked on. DiCaprio, who currently sets an example by driving an ecological car and powering his personal residence with solar panels, has destined millions to organisations that work to prevent climate change, decrease contamination and preserve biodiversity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...