Preparations advance for Leonardo DiCaprio's Blackadore Caye hotel project
After it was first announced in the spring of 2015, Leonardo DiCaprio's hotel project in his very own private island off the coast of Belize is taking significant steps forward. Set in the enchanting Blackadore Cave, this venue is being designed by firm Denniston which aims to provide the most comfortable accommodations all the while preserving and protecting the island's rich biodiversity.
Since he purchased a private island off the coast of Belize in 2005, Hollywood sensation Leonardo DiCaprio was interested in protecting its stunning nature. Last year, the Oscar-winning actor announced the project for building a lavish, eco-friendly hotel in Blackadore Caye aiming to set the bar high for green hospitality and local ecosystem restoration. Currently being developed by design firm Denniston, the ambitious project is taking significant steps forward in order to open its doors to the public soon.
For the time being, Blackadore Caye will feature 36 resort bungalows and 36 estate homes. This charming island is set to the west of Ambergris Cay, Belize’s largest island, and is home to breath-taking landscapes, making it a paradise-like destination for nature lovers. In order to be as respectful as possible to the environment, DiCaprio and his team have been asking for the opinion of local stakeholders and citizens on the original project design.
The project developers will be taking all this feedback into account, including key concerns like the removal of overwater structures which, according to a few local environmentalists “garnered great design acclaim” but proved risky for the surroundings. DiCaprio has invested a great sum into making sure the island’s infrastructure is being designed under a “unique conservation framework developed by top biologists and ecologists,” who have reportedly studied ways to support and enhance the island’s habitat and biodiversity.
Taking an avant-garde approach on eco-friendly technologies and luxury, all of the project’s power will be sourced from renewable energy, while water will be provided through rainwater collection and onsite water treatment. Flora and fauna are also being respected, as developers plan to replant mangrove, enhance soil and habitat, as well as replace invasive species with native species.
Preparations for the ground-breaking eco-lodgings of Blackadore Caye continue to move forward. Nonetheless, this hasn’t been the only environment-friendly project the renowned Italian-American actor has embarked on. DiCaprio, who currently sets an example by driving an ecological car and powering his personal residence with solar panels, has destined millions to organisations that work to prevent climate change, decrease contamination and preserve biodiversity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...