Egypt's Tourism Authority predicts 2017 to be good year for its travel industry
The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic about the future of the country's tourism industry as it predicts 2017 to be a year of growth. After an unstable few years, consumer research reveals that British people are once again looking to travel to Egypt for good value holidays, and a new flight has been launched by Egyptair between Heathrow and Luxor.
After a rocky few years, Egypt’s tourism industry could be about to receive a welcome boost as consumer research reveals that British travellers are once again planning holidays to the country. The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic that 2017 will be a year of growth from the United Kingdom, as more tourists seek value for money destinations.
Speaking at the World Travel Market in London earlier this month, Yehia Rashed, the Egyptian Minister of Tourism said that the country had a tourism strategy in place. A series of advertising and promotion campaigns were planned for 2017 to make people aware that Egypt is open to holidaymakers.
Mr Rashed commented:
“More than 1.5 million British visitors came to Egypt in 2010,” “Last year it was 870,000 and this year we expect it will be down by 70 per cent to fewer than 300,0000 visitors. But we are very confident that 2017 will be a year of growth.”
Germany and Belgium lifted their ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt in May this year, following the crash of a Russian plane at Sharm El Sheik airport last year, which was suspected to be a planned attack. The UK is the only country in Europe with the ban still in place.
Mr Rashed added:
“I personally believe it is just a matter of time before the UK government reviews the work and investment we’ve done in improving security in our airports and lifts the ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh.”
Many flights continue to operate weekly services to various destinations in Egypt from the UK, including Thomas Cook, Thomson, EasyJet and Egyptair. The launch of the new flights to Luxor will give UK tourists access to the some of the world’s most ancient sites including Tut-Ankh-Amoun, the Luxor and Karnak Temples, and the Valley of the Kings and Queens.
Egypt has been a popular destination for British travellers for decades, with many tourists heading to Cairo for the Giza Pyramids, Luxor for its ancient sites and cruises down the Nile, and Sharm el Sheikh for its beaches and scuba diving in the Red Sea. The country’s hot climate, friendly hospitality, all-year-round sunshine and affordable luxury hotels and resorts have made it a firm favourite for families, couples and solo travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Located in the heart of Luxor's tourist district, there is plenty to see and do.
- Luxor Temple, Luxor Museum, Karnak Temple and the Valley of the Kings are easily accessible from the hotel
- A wonderful outdoor pool, where guests can cool off, relax and enjoy the spectacular views of the magnificent Nile. A health club with massage, sauna and fitness room
- A magnificent position right on the banks of the River Nile
Cruise on the world's longest river with 7000 years of history while enjoying 21st century comfort on the cruise liner featuring superb amenities.
- Enjoy nightly entertainment at the Lounge with its resident DJ, drinks and dancing.
- The Cruise allows you to discover the stunning sights and attractions of the River Nile in comfort.
- The hotel ship offers a comprehensive program of sightseeing which is accompanied by an expert guide.
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Relax and benefit from the fabulous architecture of The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers
- Enjoy luxury accommodations with spectacular views of Red Sea
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Oberoi Spa treatments
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Surprise yourself with a holiday on the shores of the Red Sea at Hurghada, one of Egypt's most sought-sfter resort...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...
Rising above the city, overlooking the mighty River Nile is one of Cairo's classiest hotels. The five-star Ramses Hilton...