Egypt's Tourism Authority predicts 2017 to be good year for its travel industry
The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic about the future of the country's tourism industry as it predicts 2017 to be a year of growth. After an unstable few years, consumer research reveals that British people are once again looking to travel to Egypt for good value holidays, and a new flight has been launched by Egyptair between Heathrow and Luxor.
After a rocky few years, Egypt’s tourism industry could be about to receive a welcome boost as consumer research reveals that British travellers are once again planning holidays to the country. The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic that 2017 will be a year of growth from the United Kingdom, as more tourists seek value for money destinations.
Speaking at the World Travel Market in London earlier this month, Yehia Rashed, the Egyptian Minister of Tourism said that the country had a tourism strategy in place. A series of advertising and promotion campaigns were planned for 2017 to make people aware that Egypt is open to holidaymakers.
Mr Rashed commented:
“More than 1.5 million British visitors came to Egypt in 2010,” “Last year it was 870,000 and this year we expect it will be down by 70 per cent to fewer than 300,0000 visitors. But we are very confident that 2017 will be a year of growth.”
Germany and Belgium lifted their ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt in May this year, following the crash of a Russian plane at Sharm El Sheik airport last year, which was suspected to be a planned attack. The UK is the only country in Europe with the ban still in place.
Mr Rashed added:
“I personally believe it is just a matter of time before the UK government reviews the work and investment we’ve done in improving security in our airports and lifts the ban on flights to Sharm El Sheikh.”
Many flights continue to operate weekly services to various destinations in Egypt from the UK, including Thomas Cook, Thomson, EasyJet and Egyptair. The launch of the new flights to Luxor will give UK tourists access to the some of the world’s most ancient sites including Tut-Ankh-Amoun, the Luxor and Karnak Temples, and the Valley of the Kings and Queens.
Egypt has been a popular destination for British travellers for decades, with many tourists heading to Cairo for the Giza Pyramids, Luxor for its ancient sites and cruises down the Nile, and Sharm el Sheikh for its beaches and scuba diving in the Red Sea. The country’s hot climate, friendly hospitality, all-year-round sunshine and affordable luxury hotels and resorts have made it a firm favourite for families, couples and solo travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...