Ras Al Khaimah 2016 Golf Challenge kicks off with tee-off at top of Jebel Jais Mountain
The first Ras Al Khaimah 2016 Golf Challenge took place recently, with a tee-off on the emirate's highest mountain. Three contenders from Sweden, the Netherlands, and Monaco battled it out at the unique "High Tee" box which was created by Ras Al Khaimah's Tourism Development Authority, and was located just a few hundred metres from the 1,934-metre peak of Jebel Jais, while hitting drives into the rocky terrain of the Al Hajar mountains.
The highest mountain in the United Arab Emirates played its part in its Ras Al Khaimah’s first golf tournament recently. A special tee-off for the Ras Al Khaimah 2016 Golf Challenge took place a couple of hundred metres beneath the peak of the majestic Jebel Jais.
Three contenders took part and teed off on an elevated tee box that was specially designed by the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority. Joel Sjoholm from Sweden, Jurrian Van der Vaart from the Netherlands, and Sandro Piaget from Monaco blasted their drives into the rocky terrain of the Al Hajar Mountains.
Joel Sjöholm, commented:
“The mountain environment is stunning and it’s completely at odds with the typical beach or desert landscapes the UAE is known for. I didn’t even know there were mountains in the UAE, especially mountains as vast as these."
The 31-year-old Swedish golf player added:
“You can’t quite see Oman from here but it’s fascinating to know this stretch of mountains link the final two tournaments of the season; standing up here today has really brought it home that we’re chasing end of season honours now.”
The unique tee-off was part of a publicity stunt ahead of the Ras Al Khaimah 2016 Golf Challenge, which took part at Al Hamra Golf Club and was organised by the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority. The Chief Executive of the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority, Haitham Mattar, said that spot where the players were firing their mountain drives would be the home of a brand new tourism project in the near future.
Mr Mattar said that they are planning to build a new bespoke viewing deck on the plateau on Jebel Jais. The concept will allow visitors from all over the world to enjoy a facility that allows them to relax in the cooler temperatures and soak up the stunning landscapes of the Al Hajar Mountains.
The overall winner of the inaugural Ras Al Khaimah 2016 Golf Challenge was 23-year-old Jordan Smith from England. Smith will go on to the NBO Golf Classic Grand Final this week.
Ras Al Khaimah is becoming an increasingly popular destination for adventure seekers and sports player, thanks to its vast landscapes made up of mountains, deserts, winding creeks, and miles of coastline. The government is expecting to record 820,000 international visitors to the emirate by the end of 2016.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Ras Al Khaimah Browse all
Get the royal treatment at an exclusive island retreat where everything is designed with your ultimate pampering in mind.
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from Â£99 per person
- Create a true sensory experience with tailored treatments, relaxing massages, traditional Turkish and Moroccan Hammams
- Explore local wildlife beauty with discovery walks, traditional camel rides, rock climbing, desert safaris and more
- Sink into spacious rooms and suites set in sophisticated Moorish design and featuring first-class amenities
Enjoy a varied selection of fun activities and evening entertainment at an outstandingly beautiful beach and golf resort.
- Luxuriate at the Spa and select from an array of water sports while children have fun at the Kids' Club
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1649 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Plush accommodation, sumptuous interiors, lavish facilities and outstanding fine dining experiences come together for the ultimate luxury holiday of a lifetime.
- Up to 2 children eat and stay for free
- Take advantage of the 350m stretch of private beach and great range of outdoor activities with the chance to play golf under the stars
- Free Half Board and Shared Airport Transfers - Book by 31 August (for mininum of 6 nights stay) !!!
With a good choice of amenities, surrounded by landscaped gardens and an 18-hole golf course, Hilton Al Hamra Beach is a...
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
If you need to escape the world, even for just a weekend, the Cove Rotana Resort in Ras Al Khaimah is the perfect hotel...
Set just a few minutes away from the city centre, Mangrove Hotel By Bin Majid Hotels and Resort would be an ideal choice...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...
Beautify designed Acacia Hotel By Bin Majid Hotels and Resorts is located in the business district of Ras Al Khaimah...