Vietnam looks set to record 10 million international visitors by end of 2016
The tourism industry in Vietnam looks like it is back on track as it prepares to record a total of 10 million international visitors by the end of 2016. The number of international arrivals visiting the South East Asian country between January and September this year reached 7.27 million, which was an increase of 25.7 per cent compared to the same period last year.
Vietnam’s tourism industry is experiencing a welcome boost as the country looks set to record 10 million international visitors by the end of 2016. Following two years of slow growth, the country is celebrating an increase in visitors from all over the world.
During the first nine months of this year, Vietnam recorded 7.27 million international travellers. The figures indicate a 25.7 per cent increase compared to the same period the year before.
The growth in numbers is said to be helped by the addition of new independent and internationally branded hotels that have been built all over the country, and the increase in international flights. Air arrivals rose by 29.7 per cent, and low-cost airlines increased their services from destinations in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
Visa policies have been relaxed for visitors from various European countries which has helped attract more travellers from these nations. Visitors from Italy increased by 31.1 per cent, Spain 27.9 per cent, the United Kingdom 23.1 per cent, Germany 18.6 per cent, and France 13.8 per cent. The government of Vietnam is considering relaxing visas for residents of The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Canada and the United States.
The majority of visitors to Vietnam originated from Hong Kong with an increase of 79 per cent, followed by China with 57.7 per cent, and South Korea with 39.9 per cent. Taiwan and Japan also reached a double digit growth with a 15.7 per cent and 11.4 per cent increase respectively.
Located in South East Asia bordering Cambodia, Laos and China, Vietnam is a seahorse-shaped country that boasts a long coastline which faces the South China Sea. The nation has grown in popularity thanks to its magnificent natural landscapes made up of huge beaches, winding rivers, ancient cave systems, vast national parks, unique limestone islands, and ancient temples and ruins.
Hanoi, the capital, is a fantastic destination with an array of attractions including the Vietnam Military History Museum, the Hoam Kiem Lake, and Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. The UNESCO World Heritage Site Halong Bay is 30-minute journey via seaplane from Hanoi, and travellers can sail along the emerald waters by boat or kayak, cruising around the huge beautiful jagged limestone isles.
Another popular tourist destination in Vietnam is the southern city of Ho Chi Minh City. Home to French colonial architecture, visitors can wander along cobbled streets and visit the Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica, the lush botanical gardens, the Cu Chi tunnels, the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda, and the War Remnants Museum.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Join an adventure through Vietnam’s most memorable sights culminating in a tropical island stay
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches and turquoise waters of Phu Quoc tropical island
- Overnight cruise on a traditionally-designed junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Entrance fees for all included sightseeing, meals as per itinerary and local guides included
An in-depth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches on a tour through the most remarkable...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...