The Holiday Place launches video to reveal what lies behind the quintessential mojito
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
Probably the most easily recognisable Cuban drink in the world, the unmistakable mojito is indeed close to our hearts at The Holiday Place, so much so, that when a few days ago we did a contest to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our staff members (and Cuba experts), it was ultimately crowned the island's best cocktail.
A long-time favourite, not just for our staff (who have all been to Cuba on several occasions and tried mojitos at over 20 different bars and hotels), there are many facts about this Cuban staple that the public ignores, like the fact that the Cuban mojito is actually the UK's number cocktail!
Feeding off this insightful feedback, we decided to make our own video about the mojito, to enlighten the world about this popular Cuban drink's history, its origins, its ingredients (with detailed proportions) and a few fun facts to ponder on next time you sip on this refreshing beverage that has rum, lime, sugar and mint leaves as its main core ingredients.
In our video we not only show you how to make the best, most authentic mojito in town, but we let you in on a few secrets regarding its creation, the famous people who flew all the way to Havana to enjoy it, as well as the etymological meaning of its name, with African roots that roughly translate as "spellbinding".
We also give you the best tip anyone could ever give you when it comes to sampling the best mojito – you should come and experience it in Cuba! Only there you will get to appreciate it in all its glory and feel a little of its spellbinding magic, from the authenticity of the flavour, to the original surroundings that inspired its coming into the world. Clink, clink...bottoms up!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the crystal clear waters of Varadero and slip into total relaxation this summer
- Enjoy a grilled feast with a restaurant on the beach
- Within close proximity to such famous attractions as the Ecological Reserve at Varahicacos
- Close to one of the best windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...