The Holiday Place launches video to reveal what lies behind the quintessential mojito
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
Probably the most easily recognisable Cuban drink in the world, the unmistakable mojito is indeed close to our hearts at The Holiday Place, so much so, that when a few days ago we did a contest to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our staff members (and Cuba experts), it was ultimately crowned the island's best cocktail.
A long-time favourite, not just for our staff (who have all been to Cuba on several occasions and tried mojitos at over 20 different bars and hotels), there are many facts about this Cuban staple that the public ignores, like the fact that the Cuban mojito is actually the UK's number cocktail!
Feeding off this insightful feedback, we decided to make our own video about the mojito, to enlighten the world about this popular Cuban drink's history, its origins, its ingredients (with detailed proportions) and a few fun facts to ponder on next time you sip on this refreshing beverage that has rum, lime, sugar and mint leaves as its main core ingredients.
In our video we not only show you how to make the best, most authentic mojito in town, but we let you in on a few secrets regarding its creation, the famous people who flew all the way to Havana to enjoy it, as well as the etymological meaning of its name, with African roots that roughly translate as "spellbinding".
We also give you the best tip anyone could ever give you when it comes to sampling the best mojito – you should come and experience it in Cuba! Only there you will get to appreciate it in all its glory and feel a little of its spellbinding magic, from the authenticity of the flavour, to the original surroundings that inspired its coming into the world. Clink, clink...bottoms up!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...