The Holiday Place launches video to reveal what lies behind the quintessential mojito
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
Probably the most easily recognisable Cuban drink in the world, the unmistakable mojito is indeed close to our hearts at The Holiday Place, so much so, that when a few days ago we did a contest to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our staff members (and Cuba experts), it was ultimately crowned the island's best cocktail.
A long-time favourite, not just for our staff (who have all been to Cuba on several occasions and tried mojitos at over 20 different bars and hotels), there are many facts about this Cuban staple that the public ignores, like the fact that the Cuban mojito is actually the UK's number cocktail!
Feeding off this insightful feedback, we decided to make our own video about the mojito, to enlighten the world about this popular Cuban drink's history, its origins, its ingredients (with detailed proportions) and a few fun facts to ponder on next time you sip on this refreshing beverage that has rum, lime, sugar and mint leaves as its main core ingredients.
In our video we not only show you how to make the best, most authentic mojito in town, but we let you in on a few secrets regarding its creation, the famous people who flew all the way to Havana to enjoy it, as well as the etymological meaning of its name, with African roots that roughly translate as "spellbinding".
We also give you the best tip anyone could ever give you when it comes to sampling the best mojito – you should come and experience it in Cuba! Only there you will get to appreciate it in all its glory and feel a little of its spellbinding magic, from the authenticity of the flavour, to the original surroundings that inspired its coming into the world. Clink, clink...bottoms up!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...