The Holiday Place launches video to reveal what lies behind the quintessential mojito
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
Probably the most easily recognisable Cuban drink in the world, the unmistakable mojito is indeed close to our hearts at The Holiday Place, so much so, that when a few days ago we did a contest to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our staff members (and Cuba experts), it was ultimately crowned the island's best cocktail.
A long-time favourite, not just for our staff (who have all been to Cuba on several occasions and tried mojitos at over 20 different bars and hotels), there are many facts about this Cuban staple that the public ignores, like the fact that the Cuban mojito is actually the UK's number cocktail!
Feeding off this insightful feedback, we decided to make our own video about the mojito, to enlighten the world about this popular Cuban drink's history, its origins, its ingredients (with detailed proportions) and a few fun facts to ponder on next time you sip on this refreshing beverage that has rum, lime, sugar and mint leaves as its main core ingredients.
In our video we not only show you how to make the best, most authentic mojito in town, but we let you in on a few secrets regarding its creation, the famous people who flew all the way to Havana to enjoy it, as well as the etymological meaning of its name, with African roots that roughly translate as "spellbinding".
We also give you the best tip anyone could ever give you when it comes to sampling the best mojito – you should come and experience it in Cuba! Only there you will get to appreciate it in all its glory and feel a little of its spellbinding magic, from the authenticity of the flavour, to the original surroundings that inspired its coming into the world. Clink, clink...bottoms up!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...