Luxury Travel Magazine gives the rundown on holidaying in Johannesburg
A recent article in Luxury Travel Magazine outlines the highlights of taking holidays in Johannesburg. The article focuses largely on the vibrant artistic scene in South Africa's "City of Gold" and gives some noteworthy recommendations of the top must see sites in the city including Maboneng and the Soweto township.
Australian lifestyle and travel magazine Luxury Travel Magazine recently published an article outlining all there is to know about holidaying in Johannesburg from where to go and when is the best time of year to visit to what to see and where to stay. The article, written by Mary Holland, notes that Johannesburg, the city widely recognized as the economic hub of Africa, is home to a vibrant artistic and cultural scene as well as some of South Africa’s best restaurants, bars and nightlife.
Included in Holland’s recommendations of places to visit in Johannesburg is the urban area Maboneng- best known for its art scene. Travellers ought to experience Arts on Main while in Maboneng; this converted warehouse is home to a number of art exhibitions and often hosts a number of events including book readings and film screenings. Market on Main, a local market held each Sunday, is ideal for those holidaymakers looking to meet and support local artisans or even sample some of the local cuisine and snacks. Other must see sites in Johannesburg include the Soweto township and specifically the Vilakazi Street precinct which is home to a number of culturally significant monuments including the Nelson Mandela House museum.
In terms of hotels in Johannesburg, Holland recommends the 54 on Bath situated in a trendy shopping district near to the Nelson Mandela Square. The 54 on Bath hotel is also an ideal spot for an afternoon cocktail on the fourth floor garden terrace that boasts breathtaking views of the city’s skyline. Rates start from R3200 per night for a Deluxe Room.
Officials in South Africa have high hopes for the country’s tourism industry which currently accounts for three per cent of South Africa’s GDP. The latest figures suggest that South Africa’s tourism industry will have a strong performance in 2016 with the arrivals in the first seven months of the year surpassing expectations. Reportedly, international arrivals have increased by over 20 per cent year on year (compared to a average global growth of just 4.4 per cent). The recently appointed South African Tourism CEO, Sisa Ntshona, has set the goal that in the next five years the tourism sector’s contribution to South Africa’s GDP should increase to nine per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Combine two fascinating countries in one, with South Africa and Dubai as your perfect choice
- Spend a morning with the Big Five in the Kruger National Park
- Enjoy some ice skating in Dubai, even in summer!
- Gasp at the glory of God's Window, with a boundless view of mountains and fertile plains
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Nestled upon the St Lucia Estuary, the elephant lake hotel is surrounded by natural beauty and offers a thrilling array...
Surrounded by more than 8,000 hectares of malaria free, unspoiled African bushveld, the affordable, laidback and...
Sprinkled alongside the tranquil waterways of the picturesque V&A Waterfront Marina, The waterfront village boasts a...