Luxury Travel Magazine gives the rundown on holidaying in Johannesburg
A recent article in Luxury Travel Magazine outlines the highlights of taking holidays in Johannesburg. The article focuses largely on the vibrant artistic scene in South Africa's "City of Gold" and gives some noteworthy recommendations of the top must see sites in the city including Maboneng and the Soweto township.
Australian lifestyle and travel magazine Luxury Travel Magazine recently published an article outlining all there is to know about holidaying in Johannesburg from where to go and when is the best time of year to visit to what to see and where to stay. The article, written by Mary Holland, notes that Johannesburg, the city widely recognized as the economic hub of Africa, is home to a vibrant artistic and cultural scene as well as some of South Africa’s best restaurants, bars and nightlife.
Included in Holland’s recommendations of places to visit in Johannesburg is the urban area Maboneng- best known for its art scene. Travellers ought to experience Arts on Main while in Maboneng; this converted warehouse is home to a number of art exhibitions and often hosts a number of events including book readings and film screenings. Market on Main, a local market held each Sunday, is ideal for those holidaymakers looking to meet and support local artisans or even sample some of the local cuisine and snacks. Other must see sites in Johannesburg include the Soweto township and specifically the Vilakazi Street precinct which is home to a number of culturally significant monuments including the Nelson Mandela House museum.
In terms of hotels in Johannesburg, Holland recommends the 54 on Bath situated in a trendy shopping district near to the Nelson Mandela Square. The 54 on Bath hotel is also an ideal spot for an afternoon cocktail on the fourth floor garden terrace that boasts breathtaking views of the city’s skyline. Rates start from R3200 per night for a Deluxe Room.
Officials in South Africa have high hopes for the country’s tourism industry which currently accounts for three per cent of South Africa’s GDP. The latest figures suggest that South Africa’s tourism industry will have a strong performance in 2016 with the arrivals in the first seven months of the year surpassing expectations. Reportedly, international arrivals have increased by over 20 per cent year on year (compared to a average global growth of just 4.4 per cent). The recently appointed South African Tourism CEO, Sisa Ntshona, has set the goal that in the next five years the tourism sector’s contribution to South Africa’s GDP should increase to nine per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Explore the natural landscapes and wildlife that South Africa has to offer, before experiencing the Paradise of Seychelles.
- Relax in Seychelles, a resort set between a turquoise lagoon and verdant green hills, beside its own bay of white sands on the west coast of Mahe
- 5 days self drive tour in South Africa through the world famous Kruger National Park
- Have the time of your life, combining the best of both worlds!
Combine two fascinating countries in one, with South Africa and Dubai as your perfect choice
- Spend a morning with the Big Five in the Kruger National Park
- Enjoy some ice skating in Dubai, even in summer!
- Gasp at the glory of God's Window, with a boundless view of mountains and fertile plains
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Discover the best of South Africa before an awe-inspiring treat in Dubai
- Unwind and relax on a stretch of private white sand beach or by two pools surrounded by landscaped gardens
- Explore the Kruger National Park which supports the largest variety of wildlife species on the African continent
- Enjoy a tour the city of Durban, the cultural ‘melting pot’ of South Africa
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
This is a two-week journey that you will never forget as you are taken in by South Africa's wealth of wonders and...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
From the moment we depart the Friendly City of Port Elizabeth, youll see and feel the changing landscapeand why we call...
Overview Cape Town is the “Mother City”, South Africa’s oldest city, and one of the world’s...