The Maldives celebrates arrival of one millionth visitor in 2016
The Maldives has celebrated the arrival of its one millionth visitor this year at Ibrahim Nasir International Airport. Alefiya Merchant from India arrived to the Maldives on an Air India flight with her husband to celebrate their honeymoon last week, and they were welcomed by the high commissioner of India to the Maldives, tourism ministers, and other officials who gave them a commemorative plaque and a complimentary package for the Hurawalhi Resort.
The Maldives welcome its one millionth visitor so far this year last week, following the arrival of a honeymoon couple to Ibrahim Nasir International Airport. Alefiya Merchant and her new husband Ali Asgar Godhrawala from India arrived on an Air India flight.
The couple were welcomed by tourism officials including Hussain Lirar and Shazail Shiyam, the deputy ministers of tourism in the Maldives, Akhilesh Mishra, the high commissioner of India to the Maldives, and the acting managing director of Maldives Marketing & Public Relations Corporation, Haris Mohamed. Representatives from the Maldives Airports Company were also present.
The newlyweds were handed a commemorative plaque by Shiyam and Cherry Zhuang, the Sales and Marketing manager of Crown & Champa Resorts to mark the occasion. A complimentary holiday package to use at the Hurawalhi Resort was also given to the couple.
The milestone was celebrated as part of the Visit Maldives Year 2016 campaign, which also celebrated the arrival of the first, the 500,000th and the 750,000th visitor to the Maldives this year. The recent arrival of an Indian passengers allows the Maldives to promote itself as a leading tourist destination to the huge Indian market.
India is currently one of the top five source markets to the Maldives, and the Indian Ocean archipelago is keen to attract more holidaymakers from the region. This year, visitor arrivals from India increased by 21.5 per cent between January and July, compared to the same period in 2015. A total of 34,884 Indian holidaymakers visited the Maldives during the first six months of 2016.
The Maldives is one of the world’s leading destinations for tropical holidays and romantic honeymoons due to its postcard-perfect landscapes that are made up of palm-fringed white sand beaches, and the sparkling turquoise sea and lagoons.
The archipelago spans nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited, and visitors can choose from a variety of beachfront resorts, private island getaways, and overwater villas. The capital Male is home to bustling markets and souvenir shops along Orchid Magu, or there are boutiques and beauty shops in Majeedhee Magu.
During a visit to the Maldives, holidaymakers can go snorkelling in crystal clear waters where they can catch sightings of parrotfish, snapper, whale sharks and hammerheads, go kayaking around to secluded coves and beaches, or play golf on seafront golf courses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...