Caribbean nations record increase in tourists during first six months of 2016
Several destinations in the Caribbean have welcomed an increase in overnight visitor arrivals during the first half of 2016. According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, many nations received double-digit increases between January and June, including lesser-known tourist destinations in the region such as Belize, Antigua and Barbuda and Grenada.
The Caribbean has received an increase in overnight visitors from North America during the first half of 2016, according to new data released by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO).
Many destinations in the region recorded a double-digit increase in arrivals during this period. The study revealed results from 27 countries in the Caribbean, and many lesser-known nations in the region saw positive growth in tourist numbers from the United States. These included Grenada with a 26.2 per cent increase, Belize with 25.5 per cent, Antigua & Barbuda 20.3 with per cent, Barbados with 13.1 per cent, and Bermuda with 10.6 per cent.
While the number of tourists from the United States was on the up, visitor numbers from Canada were not so strong, with just eight out of 24 CTO countries reporting a year-on-year increase in arrivals. During their first six months, Curacao (6.7 per cent) and Guyana (4.7 per cent) were the only two nations to that saw a significant increase in holidaymakers from Canada.
Obie Wilchcombe, the Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, and the Tourism Minister for the Bahamas, commented :
“I think it is imperative for us to focus on the fact that this has not been a bad year for the Caribbean thus far. The challenges have come from Canada, and I think we are all aware of the circumstances and the troubling economy in Canada. But by in large we have seen tremendous growth.”
Mr. Wilchcombe also added:
“We’ve seen growth in our airlift and we’ve seen growth in cruise. We’ve seen our airlift increase by 15.7 million seats this year so far, which is significant for all of us.”
Cruise arrivals in some countries also increased, with the Dominican Republic recording a 58.4 per cent year-on-year rise, and the British Virgin Islands seeing an increase of 48.4 per cent. The rise in cruise passengers was helped by the addition of new cruise facilities at ports in both of the nations. In the Dominican Republic, the $85 million Amber Cove port in Puerto Plata opened in October, 2015, and in the British Virgin Islands, the cruise pier’s $52 million expansion project was completed by the end of 2015.
The Caribbean is a region that heavily relies on international tourism for its economy. While many international holidaymakers continue to flock to the tropical island nations for sun, sea and a slice of paradise, the travel and tourism industry in the area is reporting lower occupancy and average daily room rates across many hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...