Caribbean nations record increase in tourists during first six months of 2016
Several destinations in the Caribbean have welcomed an increase in overnight visitor arrivals during the first half of 2016. According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, many nations received double-digit increases between January and June, including lesser-known tourist destinations in the region such as Belize, Antigua and Barbuda and Grenada.
The Caribbean has received an increase in overnight visitors from North America during the first half of 2016, according to new data released by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO).
Many destinations in the region recorded a double-digit increase in arrivals during this period. The study revealed results from 27 countries in the Caribbean, and many lesser-known nations in the region saw positive growth in tourist numbers from the United States. These included Grenada with a 26.2 per cent increase, Belize with 25.5 per cent, Antigua & Barbuda 20.3 with per cent, Barbados with 13.1 per cent, and Bermuda with 10.6 per cent.
While the number of tourists from the United States was on the up, visitor numbers from Canada were not so strong, with just eight out of 24 CTO countries reporting a year-on-year increase in arrivals. During their first six months, Curacao (6.7 per cent) and Guyana (4.7 per cent) were the only two nations to that saw a significant increase in holidaymakers from Canada.
Obie Wilchcombe, the Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, and the Tourism Minister for the Bahamas, commented :
“I think it is imperative for us to focus on the fact that this has not been a bad year for the Caribbean thus far. The challenges have come from Canada, and I think we are all aware of the circumstances and the troubling economy in Canada. But by in large we have seen tremendous growth.”
Mr. Wilchcombe also added:
“We’ve seen growth in our airlift and we’ve seen growth in cruise. We’ve seen our airlift increase by 15.7 million seats this year so far, which is significant for all of us.”
Cruise arrivals in some countries also increased, with the Dominican Republic recording a 58.4 per cent year-on-year rise, and the British Virgin Islands seeing an increase of 48.4 per cent. The rise in cruise passengers was helped by the addition of new cruise facilities at ports in both of the nations. In the Dominican Republic, the $85 million Amber Cove port in Puerto Plata opened in October, 2015, and in the British Virgin Islands, the cruise pier’s $52 million expansion project was completed by the end of 2015.
The Caribbean is a region that heavily relies on international tourism for its economy. While many international holidaymakers continue to flock to the tropical island nations for sun, sea and a slice of paradise, the travel and tourism industry in the area is reporting lower occupancy and average daily room rates across many hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...