Popular destinations in Dominican Republic record increase in tourist arrivals
Popular tourist destinations in the Dominican Republic are recording an increase in visitor numbers and tourism revenue. Hotspots like Punta Cana and Samana have seen an increase in holidaymakers, and in Samana, more than $1 million investment has been invested into its tourism product. New hotels are also opening across the country to keep up with the demand of international tourists.
The Dominican Republic’s popular tourist destinations are experiencing an increase in visitor numbers and investment opportunities. Places like Samana and Punta Cana have both recorded an increase in tourist arrivals, and $1 million has been invested into Samana’s tourism product.
Punta Cana has recorded a 20 per cent increase in tourism every year, thanks to its beautiful beaches and family-friendly beachfront resorts. In Samana, hotel occupancy levels topped 78.7 per cent last year, and tourism in the area has grown significantly since 2011.
There are also plenty of new hotel developments either completed or underway in popular tourist destinations across the Dominican Republic. In northern Punta Cana, the Excellence El Carmen opened to guests in last month with 492 guest rooms and suites and 12 restaurants, and this November, the new Bahia Principe Fantasia will open in the region and will be part of the Don Pablo Collection.
In September, the Santo Domingo InterContinental hotel opened in the capital with 227 guest rooms and leisure and meeting facilities spread over 21 floors. Also in Santo Domingo, the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando was recently rebranded as Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, and overlooks the Ozama River from its setting in the former palace of the city’s first colonial-time governor.
Samana is located on a peninsula on the north-eastern coast of the Dominican Republic, and it is more accessible to holidaymakers due to its highway that connects it to many destinations in the country in a two-hour drive. Infrastructure development officials are planning to build a new port that will connect Sabana de la Mar by ferry to the peninsula of Samana. A total of 1,000 new hotel rooms are also in the pipeline, by 2017, and another 1,000 rooms are will be added between 2017 and 2018.
Punta Cana is one of the Dominican Republic’s most popular regions, and it sits on the easternmost point of the country. The area boasts an array of luxury and family-friendly hotels and resorts, the award-wining Bavaro Beach, and holidaymakers can enjoy fun activities such as snorkelling, zip-lining, sailing, jeep safaris, kayaking and horseback riding.
Santo Domingo is the country’s historical capital city Santo Domingo, and is a listed UNESCO world heritage site. Divided by the Ozama River, the city is home to old Victorian houses, tree-lined streets, and historic monuments and attractions such as Columbus's Lighthouse and the open caves of the Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...