Explore Costa Rica's charming beachside town, Playa Hermosa
Costa Rica is one of Central America's most popular tourist destinations with its endless beaches on two coastlines, dense tropical jungles and thriving wildlife. One of the latest hotspots is Playa Hermosa in Guanacaste on the northern Pacific coast, approximately 45 minutes from Liberia International Airport. The small, developed town is home to hotels, restaurants and uncrowded beaches.
Over recent years, Costa Rica has become a leading tourism destination in Latin America, thanks to its natural landscapes, eco-friendly practices, and array of adventure activities.
One new hotspot that is drawing visitors is Playa Hermosa in the Guanacaste Province. Located on the northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica, Playa Hermosa is a small, developed town with a beautiful beach that can be reached within a short walk. The name translates to "Beautiful Beach", and this sandy uncrowded stretch is one of the reasons why it has become such a popular spot, especially for families who come to enjoy the calm, warm waters.
With Liberia International Airport approximately 45 minutes away, Playa Hermosa sits in a valley between two mountains and the lively town of Playas del Coco in the south and the upscale Playa Panama in the north. For such a small beachfront town, there are a wide range of hotels, restaurants and shops in Playa Hermosa, and for late bars and nightclubs, Playa del Coco is a short taxi ride away.
The unique light grey-sand beach is often uncrowded, but for travellers seeking peace and quiet, there’s a small cove around the corner from Playa Hermosa, called Playa Penca. Its turquoise, crystal clear waters are perfect for snorkelling and there is a reef that is home to pufferfish, needle-nose fish and stingrays.
The beach at Playa Hermosa stretches 1.2 miles and fringed with palm and fig trees. Holidaymakers can enjoy a wide range of fun activities such as kayaking, paddle boarding, jet skiing, swimming, diving, snorkelling, and banana boat rides. There are many scuba diving sites to enjoy, such as Catalina and Bat Islands, where manta rays, white-tip reef sharks, and bull sharks frequent the waters.
On dry land, tourists can organise tours and excursions to explore the Guanacaste region, such as ATV rides, horse riding on beaches, zip lining through tropical jungles, and visits to the hot springs and mud baths. For trips further afield, there are plenty of national parks to explore including Las Baulas National Marine Park where sea turtles can be seen, Rincon de la Vieja with its volcanic landscapes, Palo Verde where visitors can tour on river boats, Santa Rosa for hiking, and Lomas Barbudal which has off the beaten tracks that lead to the river and waterfalls.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...