Fox News encourage readers to explore the secrets of the Riviera Maya
Mexico's Mayan Riviera is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, and the once sleepy fishing village of Tulum is growing in popularity. With more tourists arriving in the city each year, it can be difficult to escape the crowds. The following list offers six tips for experiencing Tulum more like a local and incorporating a little serenity into your Tulum holiday.
Mexico’s Caribbean coast continues to grow in popularity as a tourist destination, particularly for American spring breakers. For those who want to experience the beauty of Mexico’s Mayan Riviera without the throngs of tourists, here are six off-the-beaten-path locales in Tulum that sacrifice nothing in the way of beauty or amenities—only the crowds.
Tulum, which was once a small, unremarkable fishing village, is now one of Mexico’s most popular destinations. With Mayan ruins, turquoise waters and a laid-back, friendly atmosphere, the town is a charming introduction to Caribbean Mexico.
- Tulum now boasts several noteworthy restaurants, but one of the best is Cenzontle. It’s tucked away behind an iron gate in a “secret garden.” Cenzontle has succeeded in creating the kind of welcoming, unrushed atmosphere that makes guests want to linger and enjoy themselves. To give guests a bit more incentive to stay a while, the restaurant offers live music most nights.
- The recently-opened beach club, Alma Tulum, is a departure from most of the town’s beach clubs, which are closed to the public. Alma Tulum is open to everyone and is located on one of Tulum’s most beautiful beachfronts.
- Mateo’s Mexican Grille is a restaurant and bar, but its rooftop lounge is the real stand-out. It offers a characteristically low-key atmosphere and a view over the jungle and the Caribbean that is spectacular, especially as the sun sets.
- With Tulum becoming increasingly popular, it can be difficult to find accommodations if serenity is what you’re looking for. Two welcome exceptions are the Hotel Jashita and Rosa del Viento. Jashita is roughly twenty minutes north of Tulum and, located down a private drive, is an oasis of quiet away from Tulum’s tourists. Rosa del Viento is one of the oldest hotels in Tulum and is located at the southern end of the city near a wildlife refuge, where peace and quiet is the order of the day.
- A short walk from Hotel Jashita is one of Tulum’s best restaurants, Chamico’s. Locals agree that the best ceviche in Tulum can be found here, where food is fresh and prices are affordable. For fish tacos, the best choice is Taqueria La Eufemia, Tulum’s only beachside taco stand.
- And here’s a technology tip: to make getting into Tulum much easier (it’s almost a two-hour drive from the airport in Cancun), consider Ararat Transfer. For $220 roundtrip, you’re transported in a Volkswagen van with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, air conditioning, and soft drinks.
Tulum is a beautiful slice of the Mayan Riviera, and is justifiably popular with tourists. But there are still plenty of under-the-radar experiences available for travellers who want a bit more quiet with their holiday.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...