Fox News encourage readers to explore the secrets of the Riviera Maya
Mexico's Mayan Riviera is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, and the once sleepy fishing village of Tulum is growing in popularity. With more tourists arriving in the city each year, it can be difficult to escape the crowds. The following list offers six tips for experiencing Tulum more like a local and incorporating a little serenity into your Tulum holiday.
Mexico’s Caribbean coast continues to grow in popularity as a tourist destination, particularly for American spring breakers. For those who want to experience the beauty of Mexico’s Mayan Riviera without the throngs of tourists, here are six off-the-beaten-path locales in Tulum that sacrifice nothing in the way of beauty or amenities—only the crowds.
Tulum, which was once a small, unremarkable fishing village, is now one of Mexico’s most popular destinations. With Mayan ruins, turquoise waters and a laid-back, friendly atmosphere, the town is a charming introduction to Caribbean Mexico.
- Tulum now boasts several noteworthy restaurants, but one of the best is Cenzontle. It’s tucked away behind an iron gate in a “secret garden.” Cenzontle has succeeded in creating the kind of welcoming, unrushed atmosphere that makes guests want to linger and enjoy themselves. To give guests a bit more incentive to stay a while, the restaurant offers live music most nights.
- The recently-opened beach club, Alma Tulum, is a departure from most of the town’s beach clubs, which are closed to the public. Alma Tulum is open to everyone and is located on one of Tulum’s most beautiful beachfronts.
- Mateo’s Mexican Grille is a restaurant and bar, but its rooftop lounge is the real stand-out. It offers a characteristically low-key atmosphere and a view over the jungle and the Caribbean that is spectacular, especially as the sun sets.
- With Tulum becoming increasingly popular, it can be difficult to find accommodations if serenity is what you’re looking for. Two welcome exceptions are the Hotel Jashita and Rosa del Viento. Jashita is roughly twenty minutes north of Tulum and, located down a private drive, is an oasis of quiet away from Tulum’s tourists. Rosa del Viento is one of the oldest hotels in Tulum and is located at the southern end of the city near a wildlife refuge, where peace and quiet is the order of the day.
- A short walk from Hotel Jashita is one of Tulum’s best restaurants, Chamico’s. Locals agree that the best ceviche in Tulum can be found here, where food is fresh and prices are affordable. For fish tacos, the best choice is Taqueria La Eufemia, Tulum’s only beachside taco stand.
- And here’s a technology tip: to make getting into Tulum much easier (it’s almost a two-hour drive from the airport in Cancun), consider Ararat Transfer. For $220 roundtrip, you’re transported in a Volkswagen van with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, air conditioning, and soft drinks.
Tulum is a beautiful slice of the Mayan Riviera, and is justifiably popular with tourists. But there are still plenty of under-the-radar experiences available for travellers who want a bit more quiet with their holiday.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...