Fox News encourage readers to explore the secrets of the Riviera Maya
Mexico's Mayan Riviera is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, and the once sleepy fishing village of Tulum is growing in popularity. With more tourists arriving in the city each year, it can be difficult to escape the crowds. The following list offers six tips for experiencing Tulum more like a local and incorporating a little serenity into your Tulum holiday.
Mexico’s Caribbean coast continues to grow in popularity as a tourist destination, particularly for American spring breakers. For those who want to experience the beauty of Mexico’s Mayan Riviera without the throngs of tourists, here are six off-the-beaten-path locales in Tulum that sacrifice nothing in the way of beauty or amenities—only the crowds.
Tulum, which was once a small, unremarkable fishing village, is now one of Mexico’s most popular destinations. With Mayan ruins, turquoise waters and a laid-back, friendly atmosphere, the town is a charming introduction to Caribbean Mexico.
- Tulum now boasts several noteworthy restaurants, but one of the best is Cenzontle. It’s tucked away behind an iron gate in a “secret garden.” Cenzontle has succeeded in creating the kind of welcoming, unrushed atmosphere that makes guests want to linger and enjoy themselves. To give guests a bit more incentive to stay a while, the restaurant offers live music most nights.
- The recently-opened beach club, Alma Tulum, is a departure from most of the town’s beach clubs, which are closed to the public. Alma Tulum is open to everyone and is located on one of Tulum’s most beautiful beachfronts.
- Mateo’s Mexican Grille is a restaurant and bar, but its rooftop lounge is the real stand-out. It offers a characteristically low-key atmosphere and a view over the jungle and the Caribbean that is spectacular, especially as the sun sets.
- With Tulum becoming increasingly popular, it can be difficult to find accommodations if serenity is what you’re looking for. Two welcome exceptions are the Hotel Jashita and Rosa del Viento. Jashita is roughly twenty minutes north of Tulum and, located down a private drive, is an oasis of quiet away from Tulum’s tourists. Rosa del Viento is one of the oldest hotels in Tulum and is located at the southern end of the city near a wildlife refuge, where peace and quiet is the order of the day.
- A short walk from Hotel Jashita is one of Tulum’s best restaurants, Chamico’s. Locals agree that the best ceviche in Tulum can be found here, where food is fresh and prices are affordable. For fish tacos, the best choice is Taqueria La Eufemia, Tulum’s only beachside taco stand.
- And here’s a technology tip: to make getting into Tulum much easier (it’s almost a two-hour drive from the airport in Cancun), consider Ararat Transfer. For $220 roundtrip, you’re transported in a Volkswagen van with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, air conditioning, and soft drinks.
Tulum is a beautiful slice of the Mayan Riviera, and is justifiably popular with tourists. But there are still plenty of under-the-radar experiences available for travellers who want a bit more quiet with their holiday.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...