Fox News encourage readers to explore the secrets of the Riviera Maya
Mexico's Mayan Riviera is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, and the once sleepy fishing village of Tulum is growing in popularity. With more tourists arriving in the city each year, it can be difficult to escape the crowds. The following list offers six tips for experiencing Tulum more like a local and incorporating a little serenity into your Tulum holiday.
Mexico’s Caribbean coast continues to grow in popularity as a tourist destination, particularly for American spring breakers. For those who want to experience the beauty of Mexico’s Mayan Riviera without the throngs of tourists, here are six off-the-beaten-path locales in Tulum that sacrifice nothing in the way of beauty or amenities—only the crowds.
Tulum, which was once a small, unremarkable fishing village, is now one of Mexico’s most popular destinations. With Mayan ruins, turquoise waters and a laid-back, friendly atmosphere, the town is a charming introduction to Caribbean Mexico.
- Tulum now boasts several noteworthy restaurants, but one of the best is Cenzontle. It’s tucked away behind an iron gate in a “secret garden.” Cenzontle has succeeded in creating the kind of welcoming, unrushed atmosphere that makes guests want to linger and enjoy themselves. To give guests a bit more incentive to stay a while, the restaurant offers live music most nights.
- The recently-opened beach club, Alma Tulum, is a departure from most of the town’s beach clubs, which are closed to the public. Alma Tulum is open to everyone and is located on one of Tulum’s most beautiful beachfronts.
- Mateo’s Mexican Grille is a restaurant and bar, but its rooftop lounge is the real stand-out. It offers a characteristically low-key atmosphere and a view over the jungle and the Caribbean that is spectacular, especially as the sun sets.
- With Tulum becoming increasingly popular, it can be difficult to find accommodations if serenity is what you’re looking for. Two welcome exceptions are the Hotel Jashita and Rosa del Viento. Jashita is roughly twenty minutes north of Tulum and, located down a private drive, is an oasis of quiet away from Tulum’s tourists. Rosa del Viento is one of the oldest hotels in Tulum and is located at the southern end of the city near a wildlife refuge, where peace and quiet is the order of the day.
- A short walk from Hotel Jashita is one of Tulum’s best restaurants, Chamico’s. Locals agree that the best ceviche in Tulum can be found here, where food is fresh and prices are affordable. For fish tacos, the best choice is Taqueria La Eufemia, Tulum’s only beachside taco stand.
- And here’s a technology tip: to make getting into Tulum much easier (it’s almost a two-hour drive from the airport in Cancun), consider Ararat Transfer. For $220 roundtrip, you’re transported in a Volkswagen van with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, air conditioning, and soft drinks.
Tulum is a beautiful slice of the Mayan Riviera, and is justifiably popular with tourists. But there are still plenty of under-the-radar experiences available for travellers who want a bit more quiet with their holiday.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...