Shangri-La's Hambantota Resort and Spa in Sri Lanka appoints new General Manager
Shangri-La's Hambantota Resort & Spa has appointed a new General Manager for the recently-opened Sri Lanka hotel. Iain McCormack is bringing 38 years of expertise and experience to the role, after his previous position as General Manager at Naman Retreat in Danang in Vietnam, and various roles with global companies such as the Leading Hotels of the World.
A new General Manager has been appointed at the Shangri-La’s recently-opened Hambantota Resort & Spa in Sri Lanka. Iain McCormack has taken over the role and will bring 38 years of experience and knowledge to the hotel.
Mr McCormack has worked in various roles in Asia, including his most recent position as the General Manager of the Naman Retreat in Danang, Vietnam. Before that, he worked as the General Manager of InterContinental Danang, Vietnam, and had various roles with global companies such as Leading Hotel of the World and the InterContinental Group.
Mr McCormack, stated:
“I am thrilled to join this highly anticipated new resort at such an exciting time. The Shangri-La brand is one I have long admired and its debut into Sri Lanka with Hambantota marks a momentous milestone for the company. As a passionate resort specialist I am keen to use my experience to help establish Shangri-La’s Hambantota as a must-visit resort, not only in the Indian Ocean but also globally.”
Shangri-La’s Hambantota Resort & Spa opened to the public with a soft launch three months ago. Located on the island’s ancient Spice Route on the picturesque south coast, the property faces the ocean and boasts 145 acres of tropical gardens.
The hotel has 301 guest rooms, including 21 suites, and all offer views of the turquoise lagoon, the lush gardens, the golf course, or the Indian Ocean. In-room amenities include TVs with satellite channels, complimentary wireless internet, minibars, coffee and tea making facilities, and bathrooms with Shangri-La toiletries, separate showers and bath tubs, and plush bathrobes.
The luxury hotel’s facilities include an 18-hole golf course, three swimming pools, the CHI, The Spa with a range of replenishing Ayurvedic treatments and therapies, a health club, and an Artisan Village with a selection of locally-made arts and handicrafts. Young guests can enjoy a range of activities at the Cool Zone Kids Club, with its seven-metre-high trapeze, a drone flying area, outdoor water park, and childrens' pool.
Dining venues include Bojunhala with local Sri Lankan dishes, and Sera which has outdoor seating and was inspired by Southeast Asia’s famous hawker stalls. In the Gimanhala and Ulpatha bars, guests can refresh with a healthy juice, or unwind at night with a cocktail or glass of wine.
Golf-lovers can tee off within a coconut palm plantation, and play golf in three landscaped zones that overlook the ocean on the par-70 course. Guests who love nature and wildlife can visit the nearby thriving nature reserves such as Yala and Bundala National Parks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....