Shangri-La's Hambantota Resort and Spa in Sri Lanka appoints new General Manager
Shangri-La's Hambantota Resort & Spa has appointed a new General Manager for the recently-opened Sri Lanka hotel. Iain McCormack is bringing 38 years of expertise and experience to the role, after his previous position as General Manager at Naman Retreat in Danang in Vietnam, and various roles with global companies such as the Leading Hotels of the World.
A new General Manager has been appointed at the Shangri-La’s recently-opened Hambantota Resort & Spa in Sri Lanka. Iain McCormack has taken over the role and will bring 38 years of experience and knowledge to the hotel.
Mr McCormack has worked in various roles in Asia, including his most recent position as the General Manager of the Naman Retreat in Danang, Vietnam. Before that, he worked as the General Manager of InterContinental Danang, Vietnam, and had various roles with global companies such as Leading Hotel of the World and the InterContinental Group.
Mr McCormack, stated:
“I am thrilled to join this highly anticipated new resort at such an exciting time. The Shangri-La brand is one I have long admired and its debut into Sri Lanka with Hambantota marks a momentous milestone for the company. As a passionate resort specialist I am keen to use my experience to help establish Shangri-La’s Hambantota as a must-visit resort, not only in the Indian Ocean but also globally.”
Shangri-La’s Hambantota Resort & Spa opened to the public with a soft launch three months ago. Located on the island’s ancient Spice Route on the picturesque south coast, the property faces the ocean and boasts 145 acres of tropical gardens.
The hotel has 301 guest rooms, including 21 suites, and all offer views of the turquoise lagoon, the lush gardens, the golf course, or the Indian Ocean. In-room amenities include TVs with satellite channels, complimentary wireless internet, minibars, coffee and tea making facilities, and bathrooms with Shangri-La toiletries, separate showers and bath tubs, and plush bathrobes.
The luxury hotel’s facilities include an 18-hole golf course, three swimming pools, the CHI, The Spa with a range of replenishing Ayurvedic treatments and therapies, a health club, and an Artisan Village with a selection of locally-made arts and handicrafts. Young guests can enjoy a range of activities at the Cool Zone Kids Club, with its seven-metre-high trapeze, a drone flying area, outdoor water park, and childrens' pool.
Dining venues include Bojunhala with local Sri Lankan dishes, and Sera which has outdoor seating and was inspired by Southeast Asia’s famous hawker stalls. In the Gimanhala and Ulpatha bars, guests can refresh with a healthy juice, or unwind at night with a cocktail or glass of wine.
Golf-lovers can tee off within a coconut palm plantation, and play golf in three landscaped zones that overlook the ocean on the par-70 course. Guests who love nature and wildlife can visit the nearby thriving nature reserves such as Yala and Bundala National Parks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...