Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge set to open in Rwanda in summer of 2017
Rwanda is one of three countries inhabited by mountain gorillas, and in effort to both draw tourists and protect the primates, Wilderness Safaris plans to open Bisate Lodge in the summer of 2017. The lodge is located next to Volcanoes National Park, which is home to mountain gorillas as well as numerous other exotic species.
Located ad adjacent to Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park, Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge is set to open in the summer of 2017. The park is home to the endangered mountain gorilla.
A small resort comprised of only six forest villas, the lodge will specialize in gorilla conservation experiences as well as exploration of the region, one of the countries in Africa most biodiverse. The region’s forests are also home to the chimpanzee, Spotted hyena, elephants, and the golden monkey. The park is also home to almost two hundred bird species.
The new lodge was planned by Wilderness Safaris Rwanda as part of a circuit of resorts focused on ape and primate species. The Bisate Lodge will not only offer a perfect base for mountain gorilla trekking but will function as a conservation project as well. Wilderness Safaris chief executive Keith Vincent reports that more than 5,000 indigenous trees have already been planted with the help of the Tuzamurane Cooperative.
Few other lodges can boast a setting to rival Bisate’s. It is located within the natural amphitheatre of an extinct volcano and offers incredible views of the Karisimbi, Bisoke, and Mikeno volcanoes. Volcanoes National Park is the oldest national park in Rwanda. In 1929, the park was extended into Rwanda and the Belgian Congo, and was divided in the 1960s when both countries gained their independence.
American zoologist, Dian Fossey, began researching the area’s mountain gorillas in the 1960s and led the effort to protect the animals from poaching. She continued her work until her murder in 1985 and is buried at the research centre next to the grave of her favourite gorilla.
Rwanda, Uganda, and Congo are the only countries with mountain gorillas. In order to protect the gorillas, the government of each country requires visitors to get permits for gorilla trekking. The cost of Rwanda’s permit is $750, and visitors are required to follow certain guidelines for the protection and safety of the gorilla population.
A number of years ago, Rwanda introduced the Kwita Izina, or gorilla naming ceremony. The ceremony, in which the new born gorillas are named, is celebrated each year and typically brings thousands of visitors to the park.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhino
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Treat yourself to a wold look at South Africa and a luxury stay in Mauritius
- Near to Fisherman’s Cove, part of an unspoilt and authentic area of the island
- visit some of the oldest caves in the world - the Echo Caves - which have been declared a Historical Monument.
- The Lowveld, also referred to as “Big Game Country”, is the setting for dozens of game reserves teeming with wildlife and birds
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
This is a two-week journey that you will never forget as you are taken in by South Africa's wealth of wonders and...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...