Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge set to open in Rwanda in summer of 2017
Rwanda is one of three countries inhabited by mountain gorillas, and in effort to both draw tourists and protect the primates, Wilderness Safaris plans to open Bisate Lodge in the summer of 2017. The lodge is located next to Volcanoes National Park, which is home to mountain gorillas as well as numerous other exotic species.
Located ad adjacent to Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park, Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge is set to open in the summer of 2017. The park is home to the endangered mountain gorilla.
A small resort comprised of only six forest villas, the lodge will specialize in gorilla conservation experiences as well as exploration of the region, one of the countries in Africa most biodiverse. The region’s forests are also home to the chimpanzee, Spotted hyena, elephants, and the golden monkey. The park is also home to almost two hundred bird species.
The new lodge was planned by Wilderness Safaris Rwanda as part of a circuit of resorts focused on ape and primate species. The Bisate Lodge will not only offer a perfect base for mountain gorilla trekking but will function as a conservation project as well. Wilderness Safaris chief executive Keith Vincent reports that more than 5,000 indigenous trees have already been planted with the help of the Tuzamurane Cooperative.
Few other lodges can boast a setting to rival Bisate’s. It is located within the natural amphitheatre of an extinct volcano and offers incredible views of the Karisimbi, Bisoke, and Mikeno volcanoes. Volcanoes National Park is the oldest national park in Rwanda. In 1929, the park was extended into Rwanda and the Belgian Congo, and was divided in the 1960s when both countries gained their independence.
American zoologist, Dian Fossey, began researching the area’s mountain gorillas in the 1960s and led the effort to protect the animals from poaching. She continued her work until her murder in 1985 and is buried at the research centre next to the grave of her favourite gorilla.
Rwanda, Uganda, and Congo are the only countries with mountain gorillas. In order to protect the gorillas, the government of each country requires visitors to get permits for gorilla trekking. The cost of Rwanda’s permit is $750, and visitors are required to follow certain guidelines for the protection and safety of the gorilla population.
A number of years ago, Rwanda introduced the Kwita Izina, or gorilla naming ceremony. The ceremony, in which the new born gorillas are named, is celebrated each year and typically brings thousands of visitors to the park.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Relaxing by the pool with a glass of a cocktail while enjoying spectacular views of the Red Sea
- Get the most of the 24-Hour all-inclusive service
- Enjoy the private beach and on-site dive centre with opportunities for scuba diving at the house coral reef
- Great hotel for families with plenty of activities to keep the kids and adults busy throughout
Unique experience to discover the beautiful nature of South Africa and the dynamic life of Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- extraordinary South Africa tour gives you the flexibility to discover the beauty of this amazing country at your own speed
- Your hotel in Dubai enjoys a fantastic locaiton in the heart of the historic Deira within walking distance to the gold souks
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Enjoy the best of Egypt's coastal riches as you make the resort town of Sharm El Sheikh your home away from home. And...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Beautifully crafted to reflect modern Andalusian style, a Spanish region that was for long conquered by the Moroccan...