Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge set to open in Rwanda in summer of 2017
Rwanda is one of three countries inhabited by mountain gorillas, and in effort to both draw tourists and protect the primates, Wilderness Safaris plans to open Bisate Lodge in the summer of 2017. The lodge is located next to Volcanoes National Park, which is home to mountain gorillas as well as numerous other exotic species.
Located ad adjacent to Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park, Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge is set to open in the summer of 2017. The park is home to the endangered mountain gorilla.
A small resort comprised of only six forest villas, the lodge will specialize in gorilla conservation experiences as well as exploration of the region, one of the countries in Africa most biodiverse. The region’s forests are also home to the chimpanzee, Spotted hyena, elephants, and the golden monkey. The park is also home to almost two hundred bird species.
The new lodge was planned by Wilderness Safaris Rwanda as part of a circuit of resorts focused on ape and primate species. The Bisate Lodge will not only offer a perfect base for mountain gorilla trekking but will function as a conservation project as well. Wilderness Safaris chief executive Keith Vincent reports that more than 5,000 indigenous trees have already been planted with the help of the Tuzamurane Cooperative.
Few other lodges can boast a setting to rival Bisate’s. It is located within the natural amphitheatre of an extinct volcano and offers incredible views of the Karisimbi, Bisoke, and Mikeno volcanoes. Volcanoes National Park is the oldest national park in Rwanda. In 1929, the park was extended into Rwanda and the Belgian Congo, and was divided in the 1960s when both countries gained their independence.
American zoologist, Dian Fossey, began researching the area’s mountain gorillas in the 1960s and led the effort to protect the animals from poaching. She continued her work until her murder in 1985 and is buried at the research centre next to the grave of her favourite gorilla.
Rwanda, Uganda, and Congo are the only countries with mountain gorillas. In order to protect the gorillas, the government of each country requires visitors to get permits for gorilla trekking. The cost of Rwanda’s permit is $750, and visitors are required to follow certain guidelines for the protection and safety of the gorilla population.
A number of years ago, Rwanda introduced the Kwita Izina, or gorilla naming ceremony. The ceremony, in which the new born gorillas are named, is celebrated each year and typically brings thousands of visitors to the park.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Look out onto the powdery beach or take a stroll into the town centre, all at your own pace
- An excellent array of activities available including dance lessons, football, bowling and water sports
- Close proximity to 3 nearby golf courses and only a short stroll away from the Souk Al Had shopping district with its lovely cafes and traditional boutiques
- Daily live entertainment and shows, and a children and teens club make this perfect for families
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Oozing Moroccan charm through all its pores, this elegant and picturesque boutique hotel and "maison" sitting...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...