World Travel Awards Gala Ceremony names Jamaica as Caribbean's Leading Destination
Jamaica was honoured with the title of the Caribbean's Leading Destination at the regional World travel Awards Caribbean & North America Gala Ceremony 2016. The tropical island was awarded at the annual ceremony which this year took place at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort in Jamaica. The Caribbean's Leading Beach Destination award went to Turks and Caicos, and Antigua and Barbuda scooped the award for Caribbean's Most Romantic Destination.
The Caribbean & North America Gala Ceremony 2016 took place in Jamaica last week, celebrating the best of the region’s travel and hospitality companies. During the ceremony, Jamaica was awarded the title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination.
The glamourous ceremony took place at the Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, and was hosted by Jamaican television celebrities, Yendi Phillips and Adrian Atkinson. During the ceremony there were performances from Ana Strachan, Tami T, Phylia and Etana.
Graham Cooke, the president of the World Travel Awards said:
“It has been an honour for World Travel Awards to return to Jamaica this evening and in particular to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort,” this has been a true celebration of tourism here in the Caribbean and North America and it has been a pleasure to recognise some of the leading lights of the industry here tonight.”
The annual event highlighted the best of the region’s airlines, hotels, tour operators and more. Winners included Turks & Caicos, the twin-island nation that was named as the Caribbean’s Leading Beach Destination, and Antigua & Barbuda, who scooped the title of the Caribbean’s Most Romantic Destination.
Sandals Resorts International was named as the Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand once again. The hotel group owns and operates several luxury all-inclusive hotels and resorts on islands including Jamaica, St Lucia, Antigua, The Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos. The company’s Sandals Foundation was also given a special award for Outstanding Contribution to Corporate Social Responsibility Projects.
An additional special award was given to Edmund Bartlett, the Minister of Tourism for Jamaica. The minister was named as the Caribbean’s Leading Personality for Outstanding Services to Tourism.
Jamaica is one of the leading tourist destinations thanks to its powder-soft white sandy stretches, turquoise sea and dense tropical vegetation. The island has seen an increase in arrivals year on year, and so far this year, more than 2,084,960 visitors have travelled to the country, with a total of four million expected by the end of 2016.
Some of the island most popular attractions include the five-mile-long Doctor’s Cave Beach in Montego Bay, the famous Bob Marley Museum verdant botanical gardens, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation. The Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios are the perfect place to cool off in lagoons beneath the cascading water, and the soaring Blue Mountains are fantastic for hiking and climbing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Enjoy the private beach and Sugar Mill Falls Water Park nearby
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...