World Travel Awards Gala Ceremony names Jamaica as Caribbean's Leading Destination
Jamaica was honoured with the title of the Caribbean's Leading Destination at the regional World travel Awards Caribbean & North America Gala Ceremony 2016. The tropical island was awarded at the annual ceremony which this year took place at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort in Jamaica. The Caribbean's Leading Beach Destination award went to Turks and Caicos, and Antigua and Barbuda scooped the award for Caribbean's Most Romantic Destination.
The Caribbean & North America Gala Ceremony 2016 took place in Jamaica last week, celebrating the best of the region’s travel and hospitality companies. During the ceremony, Jamaica was awarded the title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination.
The glamourous ceremony took place at the Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, and was hosted by Jamaican television celebrities, Yendi Phillips and Adrian Atkinson. During the ceremony there were performances from Ana Strachan, Tami T, Phylia and Etana.
Graham Cooke, the president of the World Travel Awards said:
“It has been an honour for World Travel Awards to return to Jamaica this evening and in particular to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort,” this has been a true celebration of tourism here in the Caribbean and North America and it has been a pleasure to recognise some of the leading lights of the industry here tonight.”
The annual event highlighted the best of the region’s airlines, hotels, tour operators and more. Winners included Turks & Caicos, the twin-island nation that was named as the Caribbean’s Leading Beach Destination, and Antigua & Barbuda, who scooped the title of the Caribbean’s Most Romantic Destination.
Sandals Resorts International was named as the Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand once again. The hotel group owns and operates several luxury all-inclusive hotels and resorts on islands including Jamaica, St Lucia, Antigua, The Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos. The company’s Sandals Foundation was also given a special award for Outstanding Contribution to Corporate Social Responsibility Projects.
An additional special award was given to Edmund Bartlett, the Minister of Tourism for Jamaica. The minister was named as the Caribbean’s Leading Personality for Outstanding Services to Tourism.
Jamaica is one of the leading tourist destinations thanks to its powder-soft white sandy stretches, turquoise sea and dense tropical vegetation. The island has seen an increase in arrivals year on year, and so far this year, more than 2,084,960 visitors have travelled to the country, with a total of four million expected by the end of 2016.
Some of the island most popular attractions include the five-mile-long Doctor’s Cave Beach in Montego Bay, the famous Bob Marley Museum verdant botanical gardens, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation. The Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios are the perfect place to cool off in lagoons beneath the cascading water, and the soaring Blue Mountains are fantastic for hiking and climbing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...