Pilot's Cuba experiences caters for high-end travellers
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
With its own unique and utterly incomparable culture, stunning beaches and charming urban architecture, it’s unsurprising so many people want to land on the Caribbean’s least accessible island. Hence the exponential increase in overseas visitors tour operators have witnessed in recent years.
Nevertheless, including Cuba in any travel plans is still far from straightforward, particularly for U.S. nationals. For the last 50 years an embargo by America has been in place, severely restricting the ability for people to vacation on the island. Although these laws have been eased under the Obama administration, it is still impossible for citizens to land on the island for purely tourism purposes.
Even so, corporate pilot Eric Norber has made it his business to facilitate “legal cultural exchanges” between Americans and Cubans for the last quarter of a century. Establishing Cultural Contrast in 1990 following his own inaugural journey to the socialist country, since then the firm has organised hundreds of tours with focuses on religion, arts, theatre, sport and culinary arts, to name but a few disciplines.
Most recently he organised a VIP programme in Cuba for the directors of a major U.S. aviation advocacy organisation, and wound up breaking records – the first officially recorded all-female crew to land a private aircraft on the island.
Norber has now launched a new company, Cuba Handling, with the emphasis on making it easier for independent, high-end travellers to touch down in Havana and other cities. Cuba Handling will offer customers secured aircraft permits for private jets, flight logistics, visas and bespoke itineraries for anyone travelling via their own or personally chartered aircraft. The idea being to remove the stress and worry many American travellers have when finalising their arrangements for the country.
“Cuba, while warm and friendly, is still a complicated destination for a private aircraft.”
Norber told Aviation International News.
“There are restrictions, bureaucracy, cultural innuendos, and delicate situations to navigate that can make the difference between a delightful, memorable trip and one fraught with problems- both legal and logistical.”
U.S visitors are particularly susceptible to what you might call ‘hidden charges’ in Cuba. Many businesses do not accept American credit cards are not accepted by businesses, making money transfers essential. However, changing U.S. dollars into Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) carries a 13% service charge. One of the biggest benefits of using Cuba Handling will be the ability to pre-pay for many aircraft and itinerary services before travelling, significantly reducing the cost to the individual, lowering the overall price of any trip. The impact is expected to be yet more temptation for Americans to take advantage of new opportunities to visit this remarkable destination, and it’s not hard to see why.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...