Pilot's Cuba experiences caters for high-end travellers
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
With its own unique and utterly incomparable culture, stunning beaches and charming urban architecture, it’s unsurprising so many people want to land on the Caribbean’s least accessible island. Hence the exponential increase in overseas visitors tour operators have witnessed in recent years.
Nevertheless, including Cuba in any travel plans is still far from straightforward, particularly for U.S. nationals. For the last 50 years an embargo by America has been in place, severely restricting the ability for people to vacation on the island. Although these laws have been eased under the Obama administration, it is still impossible for citizens to land on the island for purely tourism purposes.
Even so, corporate pilot Eric Norber has made it his business to facilitate “legal cultural exchanges” between Americans and Cubans for the last quarter of a century. Establishing Cultural Contrast in 1990 following his own inaugural journey to the socialist country, since then the firm has organised hundreds of tours with focuses on religion, arts, theatre, sport and culinary arts, to name but a few disciplines.
Most recently he organised a VIP programme in Cuba for the directors of a major U.S. aviation advocacy organisation, and wound up breaking records – the first officially recorded all-female crew to land a private aircraft on the island.
Norber has now launched a new company, Cuba Handling, with the emphasis on making it easier for independent, high-end travellers to touch down in Havana and other cities. Cuba Handling will offer customers secured aircraft permits for private jets, flight logistics, visas and bespoke itineraries for anyone travelling via their own or personally chartered aircraft. The idea being to remove the stress and worry many American travellers have when finalising their arrangements for the country.
“Cuba, while warm and friendly, is still a complicated destination for a private aircraft.”
Norber told Aviation International News.
“There are restrictions, bureaucracy, cultural innuendos, and delicate situations to navigate that can make the difference between a delightful, memorable trip and one fraught with problems- both legal and logistical.”
U.S visitors are particularly susceptible to what you might call ‘hidden charges’ in Cuba. Many businesses do not accept American credit cards are not accepted by businesses, making money transfers essential. However, changing U.S. dollars into Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) carries a 13% service charge. One of the biggest benefits of using Cuba Handling will be the ability to pre-pay for many aircraft and itinerary services before travelling, significantly reducing the cost to the individual, lowering the overall price of any trip. The impact is expected to be yet more temptation for Americans to take advantage of new opportunities to visit this remarkable destination, and it’s not hard to see why.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...