Mexico protects the stunning Playa del Amor and its Pacific islands
Mexican authorities have declared a new biosphere reserve in one of the world’s most beautiful beaches, Playa del Amor. The government will formally sign a decree for the protection of this amazing natural site along with all of Mexico’s tiny islands (over 1,000 islands in total) from the menace of uncontrolled tourism.
Only a few centimetres from Punta Mita, in Mexico’s Pacific coast lays the incredible Playa del Amor, hidden away in a circular den that can only be accessed through a cave. This impressive site was only discovered recently and was rapidly acclaimed as one of the most amazing natural sites in the world; Playa del Amor even features in the list of the most beautiful beaches in the world from the February issue of British newspaper The Guardian.
Mexican government recently announced it would not only continue to protect one of its most amazing biosphere reserves, Playa del Amor, but also all of its small islands. Due to their breath-taking beauty, tourists have flocked to these stunning natural sites, causing damage and pollution. Last Easter over 3,000 people swarmed Playa del Amor daily, contaminating the reduced 690 square metre space.
The authorities were forced to close down the beach on 9th May and just re-opened it to the public on 31st August after important restoration works. According to Alejandro Del Mazo, the man in charge at Mexico’s National Committee for Protected Natural Areas the situation had reached grave danger:
“We had to close down the beach, due to massive and unorganised tourism. There were even pieces of chewing gum stuck to the coral reefs. Now we have a limit of 116 visitors a day, in groups of 15 people, and they will not be able to dive in the coral reefs.”
Playa del Amor is just one of the many natural sites that will be protected by the Mexican government. President Enrique Pena Nieto will sign a decree within this month and the next to protect each one of Mexico’s small islands (over 1,000 in total). This decree will create the new Pacific Islands of Baja California Reserve, with a group of 21 islands and its 97 keys in eight different regions: Coronado, Todos Santos, San Martín, San Benito y Cedros, San Jerónimo, Adelaida, Magdalena y Los Alijos.
This reserve will join the 941 islands in the California Gulf, that already protected by a decree since 1978. Del Mazo insists that:
“All islands will be officially under government protection by the end of 2016. We would like these beautiful biosphere reserves to be acknowledged and admired in a sustainable manner. Over 300 million tourists visit American national parks every year; Mexico only receives 3 million. We have great potential.”
However, Mexican institutions worry that these official measures won’t be enough if tourism isn’t properly controlled. As it occurred with Playa del Amor that had to be closed off to the public, despite being protected since 2005, visitors’ nasty habits and wrongful behaviour, like throwing waste onto the beach or throwing stones at the birds, needs to be stopped and all newcomers closely monitored.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...