Mexico protects the stunning Playa del Amor and its Pacific islands
Mexican authorities have declared a new biosphere reserve in one of the world’s most beautiful beaches, Playa del Amor. The government will formally sign a decree for the protection of this amazing natural site along with all of Mexico’s tiny islands (over 1,000 islands in total) from the menace of uncontrolled tourism.
Only a few centimetres from Punta Mita, in Mexico’s Pacific coast lays the incredible Playa del Amor, hidden away in a circular den that can only be accessed through a cave. This impressive site was only discovered recently and was rapidly acclaimed as one of the most amazing natural sites in the world; Playa del Amor even features in the list of the most beautiful beaches in the world from the February issue of British newspaper The Guardian.
Mexican government recently announced it would not only continue to protect one of its most amazing biosphere reserves, Playa del Amor, but also all of its small islands. Due to their breath-taking beauty, tourists have flocked to these stunning natural sites, causing damage and pollution. Last Easter over 3,000 people swarmed Playa del Amor daily, contaminating the reduced 690 square metre space.
The authorities were forced to close down the beach on 9th May and just re-opened it to the public on 31st August after important restoration works. According to Alejandro Del Mazo, the man in charge at Mexico’s National Committee for Protected Natural Areas the situation had reached grave danger:
“We had to close down the beach, due to massive and unorganised tourism. There were even pieces of chewing gum stuck to the coral reefs. Now we have a limit of 116 visitors a day, in groups of 15 people, and they will not be able to dive in the coral reefs.”
Playa del Amor is just one of the many natural sites that will be protected by the Mexican government. President Enrique Pena Nieto will sign a decree within this month and the next to protect each one of Mexico’s small islands (over 1,000 in total). This decree will create the new Pacific Islands of Baja California Reserve, with a group of 21 islands and its 97 keys in eight different regions: Coronado, Todos Santos, San Martín, San Benito y Cedros, San Jerónimo, Adelaida, Magdalena y Los Alijos.
This reserve will join the 941 islands in the California Gulf, that already protected by a decree since 1978. Del Mazo insists that:
“All islands will be officially under government protection by the end of 2016. We would like these beautiful biosphere reserves to be acknowledged and admired in a sustainable manner. Over 300 million tourists visit American national parks every year; Mexico only receives 3 million. We have great potential.”
However, Mexican institutions worry that these official measures won’t be enough if tourism isn’t properly controlled. As it occurred with Playa del Amor that had to be closed off to the public, despite being protected since 2005, visitors’ nasty habits and wrongful behaviour, like throwing waste onto the beach or throwing stones at the birds, needs to be stopped and all newcomers closely monitored.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...