New hotels, shops and restaurants revive Costa Rica’s surf town Nosara
Costa Rica is renowned for its laidback lifestyle and green living, and many people are choose to move there to enjoy its natural landscapes, people and slow pace of life. Nosara is one of the country’s oldest expat towns, and thanks to the entry of new hotels, restaurants and shops, its being revived and attracting more visitors who come to enjoy its undeveloped coastline and excellent surf conditions.
Lush tropical rainforests, two beautiful coastlines, diverse wildlife, and a laidback way of living, are just some of the reasons why more people are visiting Costa Rica. Some are even choosing to make it their home, and one of the nation’s oldest expat towns is being revived, making it even more appealing to international visitors.
The surf town of Nosara is located in the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica on the Pacific coast, and it is a hotspot for yoga enthusiasts and surfers. With miles of undeveloped coastline, pristine beaches and excellent surf conditions with consistent breaks at Playa Guiones beach, the town has always been popular with visitors, and with the help of new hotels, restaurants and shops, it looks set to attract even more travellers.
Conde Nast Traveler highlights
The Living Hotel is a located just a short walk from the beach and has plenty of activities to entertain guests. There are lush gardens with hammocks, a full-service spa, regular fitness classes, a cafe, and a saltwater pool to cool off in the soaring heat.
For a local experience, away from hotels, Namaste Oasis offers four modern apartments set within the forested slopes of a hill. Located close to the beach and The Yoga Institute, these well-designed apartments allow guests to soak up the natural surroundings.
Surfing is big in this part of Nicaragua, and Juan Surfo's surf shop is one of the best in the area. The owner grew up locally and offers surf lessons, and surfboards can be hired for just $75 a week, and visitors have the option to change boards as they improve their skills.
Nosara’s roads are more like tracks and can be bumpy, dusty and without pavements. One of the best ways to travel on them is on a quad bike (ATV), allowing easy, fast and more comfortable access on the uneven roads. Tourists will blend in with the locals if they wear protective goggles and a scarf to cover their face from the dust.
In addittion, Love Nosara is a charming open-air shop that sells affordable clothing, jewellery and accessories. It has a chic New Age feel to it, and all items are designed and made locally by the owner Susana Brown. Tourists can pick up a souvenir or a t-shirt with the country’s famous "Pura Vida" slogan on it.
As well as surfing, the town is a hotspot for skateboarders, thanks to its modern skate park, Eskina, with its music, graffiti art, and skaters of all ages. The park doubles up as community hub and visitors can eat at the onsite restaurant and watch the talented skaters do their thing. On Saturday afternoons, the skate parks transforms into a bustling Farmer’s Market, with stalls selling local produce including fruit, vegetables, fresh bread, and healthy “Surf Snax”, made up of a blend of nuts, coconut flakes and seeds.
For dining, La Luna is one of the only restaurants situated on the beach. As well as a picturesque setting, the restaurants boasts a Mediterranean menu with fresh-grilled seafood, home-made flatbreads and mezze plates. The twinkling fairy lights and whitewashed furnishing create a relaxing ambience as diners enjoy delicious food and sea views.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay in a Preferred Club room, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Enjoy activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- Choose between 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Enjoy all-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service.
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
Overview Costa Ricans will all agree that the Caribbean side of the country has a culture of its own. Coconut in every...