Cancun and Riviera Maya continues to grow as Mexico's most popular tourist destination
New data released by the Mexican government reveals that Cancun and the Riviera Maya is recording a strong growth in tourism. In the first half of 2016, nearly 11 million visitors travelled through Cancun International Airport, which was an eight per cent increase compared to 2015. It has become one of the country’s fastest-growing tourist destinations thanks to its beautiful beaches, ancient Mayan ruins, lush nature reserves and delicious cuisine.
Cancun and the Rivera Maya is the fastest-growing tourist destination in Mexico, according to new data released by the Mexican government. The region’s growth has steadily been increasing for the last ten years.
During the first six months of 2016, the region’s airport, Cancun International, welcomed 11 million visitors, an eight per cent increase compared to the same period last year. Many international tourists are heading to this coastal area on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico to enjoy its beaches, nature parks and culture.
Holidaymakers will find diverse culinary delights that range from local Mexican specialities, to international cuisine including Italian, American, and fresh seafood. Every year, hotels in the region host the popular Cancun Riviera Maya Wine & Food Festival.
As well as miles of pristine coastline and white sand beaches, Cancun and the Rivera Maya boasts a collection of nature reserves and lush landscapes where they can hike or go zip lining. Nature lovers can enjoy the wildlife underwater by scuba diving or snorkelling in the area’s crystal clear, turquoise sea that is home to thousands of vibrant marine species including endangered sea turtles, lemon sharks, whale sharks, and coral reefs.
There’s also a unique underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor. The museum is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature.
The ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids, and 2,000-year-old temples are a hotspot for history lovers. Popular sites include as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza. To discover the region’s culture and heritage, there’s an annual Sacred Mayan Journey that marks the ritual pilgrimage carried out by ancient Mayans.
The Yucatan Peninsula separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea and is a popular tourist destination. On the Caribbean side, the Riviera Maya strip is home to Cancun and its luxury beachfront hotels and vibrant nightlife.
Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves more than 40 years ago, but over the decades, the region has since become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and foodies. Nearby holiday destinations include Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos, and Cancun’s vibrant hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches, and luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and casinos.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...