Cancun and Riviera Maya continues to grow as Mexico's most popular tourist destination
New data released by the Mexican government reveals that Cancun and the Riviera Maya is recording a strong growth in tourism. In the first half of 2016, nearly 11 million visitors travelled through Cancun International Airport, which was an eight per cent increase compared to 2015. It has become one of the country’s fastest-growing tourist destinations thanks to its beautiful beaches, ancient Mayan ruins, lush nature reserves and delicious cuisine.
Cancun and the Rivera Maya is the fastest-growing tourist destination in Mexico, according to new data released by the Mexican government. The region’s growth has steadily been increasing for the last ten years.
During the first six months of 2016, the region’s airport, Cancun International, welcomed 11 million visitors, an eight per cent increase compared to the same period last year. Many international tourists are heading to this coastal area on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico to enjoy its beaches, nature parks and culture.
Holidaymakers will find diverse culinary delights that range from local Mexican specialities, to international cuisine including Italian, American, and fresh seafood. Every year, hotels in the region host the popular Cancun Riviera Maya Wine & Food Festival.
As well as miles of pristine coastline and white sand beaches, Cancun and the Rivera Maya boasts a collection of nature reserves and lush landscapes where they can hike or go zip lining. Nature lovers can enjoy the wildlife underwater by scuba diving or snorkelling in the area’s crystal clear, turquoise sea that is home to thousands of vibrant marine species including endangered sea turtles, lemon sharks, whale sharks, and coral reefs.
There’s also a unique underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor. The museum is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature.
The ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids, and 2,000-year-old temples are a hotspot for history lovers. Popular sites include as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza. To discover the region’s culture and heritage, there’s an annual Sacred Mayan Journey that marks the ritual pilgrimage carried out by ancient Mayans.
The Yucatan Peninsula separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea and is a popular tourist destination. On the Caribbean side, the Riviera Maya strip is home to Cancun and its luxury beachfront hotels and vibrant nightlife.
Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves more than 40 years ago, but over the decades, the region has since become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and foodies. Nearby holiday destinations include Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos, and Cancun’s vibrant hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches, and luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and casinos.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...