Cancun and Riviera Maya continues to grow as Mexico's most popular tourist destination
New data released by the Mexican government reveals that Cancun and the Riviera Maya is recording a strong growth in tourism. In the first half of 2016, nearly 11 million visitors travelled through Cancun International Airport, which was an eight per cent increase compared to 2015. It has become one of the country’s fastest-growing tourist destinations thanks to its beautiful beaches, ancient Mayan ruins, lush nature reserves and delicious cuisine.
Cancun and the Rivera Maya is the fastest-growing tourist destination in Mexico, according to new data released by the Mexican government. The region’s growth has steadily been increasing for the last ten years.
During the first six months of 2016, the region’s airport, Cancun International, welcomed 11 million visitors, an eight per cent increase compared to the same period last year. Many international tourists are heading to this coastal area on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico to enjoy its beaches, nature parks and culture.
Holidaymakers will find diverse culinary delights that range from local Mexican specialities, to international cuisine including Italian, American, and fresh seafood. Every year, hotels in the region host the popular Cancun Riviera Maya Wine & Food Festival.
As well as miles of pristine coastline and white sand beaches, Cancun and the Rivera Maya boasts a collection of nature reserves and lush landscapes where they can hike or go zip lining. Nature lovers can enjoy the wildlife underwater by scuba diving or snorkelling in the area’s crystal clear, turquoise sea that is home to thousands of vibrant marine species including endangered sea turtles, lemon sharks, whale sharks, and coral reefs.
There’s also a unique underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor. The museum is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature.
The ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids, and 2,000-year-old temples are a hotspot for history lovers. Popular sites include as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza. To discover the region’s culture and heritage, there’s an annual Sacred Mayan Journey that marks the ritual pilgrimage carried out by ancient Mayans.
The Yucatan Peninsula separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea and is a popular tourist destination. On the Caribbean side, the Riviera Maya strip is home to Cancun and its luxury beachfront hotels and vibrant nightlife.
Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves more than 40 years ago, but over the decades, the region has since become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and foodies. Nearby holiday destinations include Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos, and Cancun’s vibrant hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches, and luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and casinos.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...