Scheduled flights resume from U.S. to Cuba
For the first time in more than a half-century a regularly scheduled commercial flight has taken off from the United States en route to Cuba. The history-making moment is the latest move in relaxing travel restrictions between the two countries, making booking a holiday in Cuba easier and potentially less expensive for travellers.
A JetBlue flight recently secured its place in history as the first scheduled flight in more than 50 years to take off from the United States bound for Cuba. In an article published in The New York Times, author Frances Robles details the excitement surrounding the memorable flight.
The author acknowledges the last time a regularly scheduled flight left the U.S. for Cuba was so long ago the travellers arrived in a propeller plane, making the jet engine plane that landed on the island just days ago significant in itself. This particular flight left Fort Lauderdale headed towards Santa Clara in mid morning, filled with 150 passengers including journalists, dignitaries and an emotional Erik Diaz Olivia, who tearfully explained what it was like to fly home to Cuba after eight years of living abroad.
“I got here at 5 a.m. and was the first to check in; everyone started to cheer! To the people who say these flights don’t help: Yes, it does help. It opens Cuba to the world.”
Not only was this U.S. commercial flight the first of its kind in decades but potentially another step forward in the process of normalizing relations between the two countries. For travellers it means easier service to Cuba and an expected big decrease in the cost of airline tickets to the island. Passenger Orestes Garcia Vasquez, who was headed from Cuba to Florida, echoed those benefits.
“This is a novelty for me, to be able to fly direct without having to travel to a third country. This allows me to save time and money.”
Travel restrictions to Cuba first began to ease in late 2014 when President Barack Obama announced plans to restore diplomatic relations. In response, cruise lines, private jets and now commercial airlines have initiated travel between the two countries. An agreement allows for as many as 90 round-trip flights between the United States and Cuba each day. Six airlines, including JetBlue, have approval to fly to nine different Cuban cities, though not all have released their schedules.
JetBlue, for instance, plans to gradually add more flights over the coming months, headed towards cities like Camaguey and Holguin. Silver Airways, meanwhile, already offers three flights each week to Santa Clara with direct flights to several other Cuban cities starting soon.
Also just announced, eight American commercial airlines now have permission to fly directly to Havana from select cities in the U.S., though American leaders admit the island nation is in need of updates to its airport infrastructure to keep up with the increased flights. There is promise, though, as Cuban officials offer that last year the country’s international airports handled nearly 5,000 U.S. charter flights.
With charter flights passengers were forced to get to the airport four hours before their Cuban flights, wait in long lines and pay high prices for things like luggage fees. With commercial flights, however, travel is expected to improve significantly. Some passengers have already found low fares of just $99 each way. Experts are predicting that many flights between the U.S. and Cuba will not be full either, providing plenty of options for travellers in the near future.
JetBlue intends to add more weekly flights to Cuban destinations over the next couple of months. The airline reminds U.S. residents to bring a valid U.S. passport, health insurance that covers travel to Cuba and to purchase a visa. It should also be noted that American travellers must fall within one of the approved travel categories for visiting Cuba, which for many U.S. citizens means meeting the qualifications of a people-to-people cultural exchange while on the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...