Dominican Republic records 3 million tourists in first six months of 2016
The Dominican Republic has recorded more than million visitors in the first half of 2016. The numbers set a new record for the Caribbean island nation, with a total of 3.043 million arrivals visiting between January and June, a 6.5 per cent increase compared to last year. The majority of travellers originated from the United States, Europe and Canada.
The Caribbean nation of the Dominican Republic has welcomed new figures that reveal more than three million travellers visited the country in the first six months of 2016. The tropical nation received a total of 3.043 million arrivals, a 6.5 increase compared to the same period in 2015.
The majority of visitors came from the United States (42.7per cent), Europe (21.4 per cent), and Canada (18.3 per cent). The average age of travellers was between 21 and 35 years old (34.2 per cent), but there was also an increase in travellers aged over 50 years during these six months.
Also, Punta Cana was the busiest airport with 66.5 per cent of all international visitors arriving at the eastern facility. More than 1,773,500 passengers arrived at the airport between January and June, and the country’s seven airports recorded a total of 5,985,883 passengers.
The country’s cruise industry also saw an increase in visitors, with 236,079 cruise arrivals in the first six months. The Department of Cruise Tourism announced that it is expecting to receive 650,000 cruise passengers in the Dominican Republic by the end of the year. Amber Cove Cruise Port in Puerto Plata opened in October, 2015, and since then it has received 305,807 cruise ship passengers.
In addittion, hotel occupancy levels averaged at 80.8 per cent, which was a significant increase compared to its average of 70.1 per cent since 2012. There are several hotel projects currently underway in various regions of the Dominican Republic which will add another 5,213 hotel rooms to the country’s existing total of 70,030. These include the new Luxury Bahia Principe Fantasia Don Pablo Collection in Punta Cana and the Presidential Suites Cabarete in Puerto Plata.
Tourism in the Dominican Republic is growing at a steady rate, and the island nation is a popular destination for families, couples and groups. With stunning natural tropical landscapes, luxury beachfront hotels, and all-year-round sunshine, it has become one of the Caribbean’s most popular holiday spots.
During their stay, holidaymakers can visit the area of Bavaro with is world-class golf course, award-winning beach, and thriving coral reefs, or head to the eastern point of Punta Cana with is family-friendly resorts and beautiful beaches. The country’s natural wonders include the Damajaqua Cascades Waterfall, Catalina Island, Los Haitises National Park, Pico Duarte mountains, and Samana Bay.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Live it up and enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy unlimited luxury, sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...