Travel to India brings traffic growth to Abu Dhabi Airport
Compared to the first semester of 2015, Abu Dhabi Airport has seen a 6.6 per cent increase in passenger traffic this year. Flights to and from India have favoured this growth as Terminal 1, which offers regular trips to Bombay, is precisely the one boasting the most arrivals and departures.
Abu Dhabi International Airport has analysed and compared the first semester of 2016 to the previous year in order to evaluate how air traffic has progressed in this period of time. In doing so, authorities found a significant increase in the number of departures and arrivals, specifically thanks to India travel in Terminal 1.
According to the figures Abu Dhabi Airports released referring to the first half of the present year, total traffic for January to June reached 11,848,359, million passengers. This represents a 6.6 per cent increase from the 11,111,577 in the first six months of 2015. Moreover, the number of people passing through Terminal 1 in particular saw the largest increase, reaching 4,790,469 travellers, a 22 per cent growth from 3,918,322 last year.
Travel to India was an important factor in this growth. Bombay was the most popular destination in June. There was a 26 per cent rise in traffic to the Indian destination compared to the same month last year, with figures up from 55,991 to 70,312. These numbers are a result of Etihad Airways, the UAE’s national carrier, incorporating the Indian city to its A380 service earlier this year in May. Etihad Airways has also unveiled its exclusive First Class Lounge & Spa with 16 different zones at Abu Dhabi airport.
In regards to the positive figures, Abdul Majeed Al Khoori, acting chief executive of Abu Dhabi Airports, said:
“January and March have been the busiest period for Abu Dhabi International Airport in the first half of the year, with passenger traffic crossing two million in both of these months.”
He went on to declare that:
“We are encouraged by the figures from the six months of 2016, which demonstrate continued growth year-on-year. Consistent increases in passenger traffic are to be expected given Abu Dhabi’s status as an international hub for commerce and tourism, as well as being a bustling transit point.”
Dhabi International Airport t, 16.5 nautical miles east of Abu Dhabi city, is the second largest airport in the UAE, serving around 20 million passengers in 2014. With three operational passenger terminals—Terminal 1 (divided into Terminals 1A and 1B), Terminal 2, Terminal 3, Abu Dhabi International Airport is spread over an area of 3,400 hectares (8,500 acres). Its terminal spaces are dominated by Etihad Airways, which is the United Arab Emirates' second largest air carrier after Emirates. 30 airlines offered service to 112 destinations in more than 40 countries with non-stop services to all inhabited continents.
It is no surprise the airport is currently receiving so many arrivals, Abu Dhabi in itself is an exciting and beautiful destination. Opulent venues, beautiful desert landscapes, fantastic shopping all await in UAE’s luxurious capital.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Combine stunning luxury with the entertainment attractions on Yas Island
- Free shuttle service to all attractions on Yas Island
- Click through and upgrade to a room including access to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld inclusive
- free room upgrade to the next category - book before 31st October 2016
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Enjoy golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Free Half Board Included in this amazing offer
Enjoy your stay in Abu Dhabi at Shangri-La Qaryat Al Beri with stunning views of Abu Dhabi's landmark
- Enjoy stunning views of the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque
- Relax on the private beach at the resort and at the luxurious Spa
- exclusively for our customers: free room upgrade on selected dates
- Walking distance to Abu Dhabi's duty free shopping malls and historial area
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Camp
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Get away from all your concerns and enjoy a tranquil 4-day stay at the luxurious Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers whilst you...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...
Facing the Lulu Island and the Arabian Gulf, the stunning Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche is located in the one of the most...
The Beach Rotana Hotel is set on a pristine stretch of white beach on the shores of the Arabian Sea. Located in the...