Chinese tourist welcomed by officials as the 750,000 visitor to Maldives in 2016
The Maldives has celebrated the arrival of its 750,000th tourist this year. Chinese tourist, Wang Shuai was welcomed by the Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan, and other tourism industry officials as he arrived at the Male International Airport with his family, and he was presented with a commemorative plaque and a Maldives holiday from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
A tourist from China received a unique welcome as he arrived in the Maldives recently, after being announced as the 750,000th tourist arrival in the country so far his year. Wang Shuai, was met by tourism industry officials as he arrived to Male International Airport with his family from Xian.
Mr Shuai was treated to a welcoming ceremony at the airport’s VIP lounge which was attended by the Maldives’ Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan; the Ambassador of China to Maldives Wang Fukang; and industry officials from the Ministry of Tourism and Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC). A commemorative plaque was present to Mr Shuai, as well as a gift of a holiday in the Maldives from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
The Visit Maldives Year 2016 (VMY2016) campaign has set a target of 1.5 million tourist arrivals by the end of the year. The nation is hosting a variety of events to attract more international holidaymakers including a Maldives Photography competition and a Surfing competition. The Maldives also partnered with the leading travel industry event ITB, Berlin in Germany, in March, and it was the Official Partner Country.
The VMY2016 is promoting the products and services of the Maldives travel and tourism industry to international markets in a bid to attract more visitors. India is one of the Maldives’ largest source markets, along with China and Europe. In July, 2016, more than 110,430 tourists visited the Maldives, which was an impressive 40 per cent increase compared to visitor numbers in June 2016.
The Maldives is a picturesque archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean located south of Sri Lanka. With 26 coral atolls, the country is made up of hundreds of islands that boast pristine white sandy beaches, aquamarine lagoons, and thriving reefs. The capital of the Maldives is Male with its skyscrapers, mosques, museums, markets and international airport. Other idyllic islands and their luxurious hotels and resorts can be accessed via short boat trips and sea plane flights from Male.
The tropical destination is a hotspot for romantic honeymoons and family breaks, due to its natural landscapes and all-year-round fine weather. There are plenty of opportunities to relax on powder-soft beaches under palm trees, swim in tranquil lagoons, scuba dive or snorkel down to reefs that are teeming with colourful marine life, or take a boat trip and go island hopping.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Surrounded by crystal clear waters and tropical vegetation, Olhuveli Beach and Spa Resort is home away from home.
- Sunset Fishing, Male Sightseeing, a visit to a local island and Snorkelling Safari are just some of the excursions available
- Enjoy spa credit, included excursions, sunset cruises and more with the Emerald Plan, whilst the All Inclusive package offers use of sports facilities for free
- From a kids club and live evening entertainment to the Sun Spa, there is something to cater for the needs of all family members
Combine effortless luxury with the stunning surrounding paradise in the Maldives
- Create lasting memories with a sunset cruise
- Discover the crystal clear waters and marine life through a wide range of water sports activities
- Relax and unwind in the well-appointed luxury villas
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...