Chinese tourist welcomed by officials as the 750,000 visitor to Maldives in 2016
The Maldives has celebrated the arrival of its 750,000th tourist this year. Chinese tourist, Wang Shuai was welcomed by the Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan, and other tourism industry officials as he arrived at the Male International Airport with his family, and he was presented with a commemorative plaque and a Maldives holiday from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
A tourist from China received a unique welcome as he arrived in the Maldives recently, after being announced as the 750,000th tourist arrival in the country so far his year. Wang Shuai, was met by tourism industry officials as he arrived to Male International Airport with his family from Xian.
Mr Shuai was treated to a welcoming ceremony at the airport’s VIP lounge which was attended by the Maldives’ Minister of Tourism, Moosa Zameer Hassan; the Ambassador of China to Maldives Wang Fukang; and industry officials from the Ministry of Tourism and Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC). A commemorative plaque was present to Mr Shuai, as well as a gift of a holiday in the Maldives from the Meeru Island Resort & Spa.
The Visit Maldives Year 2016 (VMY2016) campaign has set a target of 1.5 million tourist arrivals by the end of the year. The nation is hosting a variety of events to attract more international holidaymakers including a Maldives Photography competition and a Surfing competition. The Maldives also partnered with the leading travel industry event ITB, Berlin in Germany, in March, and it was the Official Partner Country.
The VMY2016 is promoting the products and services of the Maldives travel and tourism industry to international markets in a bid to attract more visitors. India is one of the Maldives’ largest source markets, along with China and Europe. In July, 2016, more than 110,430 tourists visited the Maldives, which was an impressive 40 per cent increase compared to visitor numbers in June 2016.
The Maldives is a picturesque archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean located south of Sri Lanka. With 26 coral atolls, the country is made up of hundreds of islands that boast pristine white sandy beaches, aquamarine lagoons, and thriving reefs. The capital of the Maldives is Male with its skyscrapers, mosques, museums, markets and international airport. Other idyllic islands and their luxurious hotels and resorts can be accessed via short boat trips and sea plane flights from Male.
The tropical destination is a hotspot for romantic honeymoons and family breaks, due to its natural landscapes and all-year-round fine weather. There are plenty of opportunities to relax on powder-soft beaches under palm trees, swim in tranquil lagoons, scuba dive or snorkel down to reefs that are teeming with colourful marine life, or take a boat trip and go island hopping.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....