New unique semi-submarine lets guests visit underwater world of Jumeirah Vittaveli Maldives
Guests staying at Jumeirah Vittaveli in the Maldives can now explore its vibrant house reef without having to get wet. The resort is offering trips in a semi-submarine in a partnership with its onsite Best Dives Maldives diving school. The vessel remains above sea level but the bottom section in submerged in the water, and passengers can look out of the huge windows at the marine life below.
Holidaymakers who are keen to explore the underwater world in the Maldives can enjoy a unique way of looking at marine creatures as Jumeirah Vittaveli launches a new semi-submarine. The experience allows guests of the resort to see the underwater world without even having to get wet.
In a partnership with Best Dives Maldives, the resort's onsite scuba diving school, guests will sit in a vessel that remains on the surface of the sea. Its bottom section is submerged 1.3 metres into the water, allowing passengers to see the marine world of the house reefs through huge windows.
Amit Majumder, the General Manager of Jumeirah Vittaveli, said:
"We are happy to partner with Best Dives Maldives on this exclusive new facility for our guests. One of the biggest attractions of the Maldives is its colourful underwater life, and with our new semi-submersible, this world is now open to everyone – even experienced snorkelers and divers will find this new way to explore the marine environment exhilarating."
There will be daily excursions around the colourful reef, and guests can learn about its inhabitants through a guide from the Best Dives team who will educate them on the diverse marine species and the role they play in the underwater ecosystem. Night excursions will also be available, and passengers will get to see the coral reefs feed on plankton, or catch a sighting of a stingray or shark.
The unique vessel can accommodate up to 12 passengers and prices start from US95 for adults and US$45 for accompanied children under 11 years. Children aged five years and under will go for free, making it a fantastic experience for all ages. Night excursions will cost US$ 110 per person.
As well as rides in the semi-submersible vessel, guests can explore the resort's thriving reef and other nearby dive sites using complimentary snorkelling gear, or through scuba diving activities with professional diving instructors. Native marine creatures found in the surrounding Indian Ocean include eels, butterfly fish, snappers, groupers, grey reef sharks, sea turtles, eagle rays and manta rays.
The Jumeirah Vittaveli is located in the South Male Atoll in the Maldives, 20 minutes by boat from the capital Male. The luxury resort has 89 suites and villas with private swimming pools, and access to the white sandy beach or azure lagoon. Facilities at the island resort include the Talise Spa, Talise Fitness centre, Kuda Koli Kid's Club, the five-star PADI dive centre, and multiple indoor and outdoor restaurants and bars.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...