New statistics reveal the Riviera Maya is most popular tourist destination in Mexico
The Riviera Maya is the preferred destination for tourists visiting Mexico, according to new statistics released by the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels. The beautiful region beat popular coastal destinations including Cancun and Los Cabos, and hotel occupancy levels in the Riviera Maya during the first six months of 2016 reached 89 per cent, exceeding the national average.
New statistics reveal that the Riviera Maya region is the preferred destination for tourists travelling to Mexico. According to the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels, the region is now more popular than coastal favourites Cancun and Los Cabos.
In the first six months of this year, occupancy levels in hotels in the Riviera Maya averaged at 89 per cent, beating Cancun's occupancy of 82 per cent. Both areas exceeded the national average for that time of year, as more travellers head to the Yucatan Peninsula where Cancun and the Riviera Maya are located, to soak up the sunshine and natural landscapes.
Rafael Garcia, the President of the Mexican Hotel Association, explained:
"The best-known beaches in the country are full. Colonial cities are being visited by hundreds of foreigners and thousands of Mexicans, and adventure tourism is booming."
In 2015, the International Tourism Organisation ranked Mexico in ninth place for its attractive tourism offerings. The Riviera Maya has grown in popularity with international travellers for the third consecutive year. According to David Rebolledo, the general manager of Best Day travel agency, the increase in visitors to the northern Mexico region is because the exchange rate is still good despite the peso losing its value against the U.S dollar, and Americans have easy and affordable access to flights to Cancun, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
The Riviera Maya sits along the Caribbean coast on the Yucatan Peninsula, and stretches from Puerto Morelos to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. The region boasts some of the Mexico's most stunning tropical landscapes including white sandy beaches, turquoise lagoons and sea, oceanfront golf courses, and thriving nature reserves. The region is home to ancient Mayan ruins including cities and temples and archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, El Rey and Chichen Itza.
Holidaymakers can delve beneath the surface of the sapphire sea to explore the world's second largest barrier reef, and swim, snorkel or scuba dive alongside colourful fish, sea turtles, whale sharks, manta rays, sea horses and dolphins. Visitors can also go cave diving or snorkelling the many underground cenotes.
The region boasts an array of accommodation options from luxury beachfront resort, to traditional lodges in the jungle, and there are plenty of hotels, BandBs, and self-catering options in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Puerto Vallarta. Several global hotel chains operate hotels and oceanfront resorts in the Rivera Maya region, including Hard Rock Hotels, Melia International, Ritz-Carlton, Marriott International, Ramada, and Ibis.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...