New statistics reveal the Riviera Maya is most popular tourist destination in Mexico
The Riviera Maya is the preferred destination for tourists visiting Mexico, according to new statistics released by the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels. The beautiful region beat popular coastal destinations including Cancun and Los Cabos, and hotel occupancy levels in the Riviera Maya during the first six months of 2016 reached 89 per cent, exceeding the national average.
New statistics reveal that the Riviera Maya region is the preferred destination for tourists travelling to Mexico. According to the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels, the region is now more popular than coastal favourites Cancun and Los Cabos.
In the first six months of this year, occupancy levels in hotels in the Riviera Maya averaged at 89 per cent, beating Cancun's occupancy of 82 per cent. Both areas exceeded the national average for that time of year, as more travellers head to the Yucatan Peninsula where Cancun and the Riviera Maya are located, to soak up the sunshine and natural landscapes.
Rafael Garcia, the President of the Mexican Hotel Association, explained:
"The best-known beaches in the country are full. Colonial cities are being visited by hundreds of foreigners and thousands of Mexicans, and adventure tourism is booming."
In 2015, the International Tourism Organisation ranked Mexico in ninth place for its attractive tourism offerings. The Riviera Maya has grown in popularity with international travellers for the third consecutive year. According to David Rebolledo, the general manager of Best Day travel agency, the increase in visitors to the northern Mexico region is because the exchange rate is still good despite the peso losing its value against the U.S dollar, and Americans have easy and affordable access to flights to Cancun, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
The Riviera Maya sits along the Caribbean coast on the Yucatan Peninsula, and stretches from Puerto Morelos to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. The region boasts some of the Mexico's most stunning tropical landscapes including white sandy beaches, turquoise lagoons and sea, oceanfront golf courses, and thriving nature reserves. The region is home to ancient Mayan ruins including cities and temples and archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, El Rey and Chichen Itza.
Holidaymakers can delve beneath the surface of the sapphire sea to explore the world's second largest barrier reef, and swim, snorkel or scuba dive alongside colourful fish, sea turtles, whale sharks, manta rays, sea horses and dolphins. Visitors can also go cave diving or snorkelling the many underground cenotes.
The region boasts an array of accommodation options from luxury beachfront resort, to traditional lodges in the jungle, and there are plenty of hotels, BandBs, and self-catering options in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Puerto Vallarta. Several global hotel chains operate hotels and oceanfront resorts in the Rivera Maya region, including Hard Rock Hotels, Melia International, Ritz-Carlton, Marriott International, Ramada, and Ibis.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...