New statistics reveal the Riviera Maya is most popular tourist destination in Mexico
The Riviera Maya is the preferred destination for tourists visiting Mexico, according to new statistics released by the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels. The beautiful region beat popular coastal destinations including Cancun and Los Cabos, and hotel occupancy levels in the Riviera Maya during the first six months of 2016 reached 89 per cent, exceeding the national average.
New statistics reveal that the Riviera Maya region is the preferred destination for tourists travelling to Mexico. According to the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels, the region is now more popular than coastal favourites Cancun and Los Cabos.
In the first six months of this year, occupancy levels in hotels in the Riviera Maya averaged at 89 per cent, beating Cancun's occupancy of 82 per cent. Both areas exceeded the national average for that time of year, as more travellers head to the Yucatan Peninsula where Cancun and the Riviera Maya are located, to soak up the sunshine and natural landscapes.
Rafael Garcia, the President of the Mexican Hotel Association, explained:
"The best-known beaches in the country are full. Colonial cities are being visited by hundreds of foreigners and thousands of Mexicans, and adventure tourism is booming."
In 2015, the International Tourism Organisation ranked Mexico in ninth place for its attractive tourism offerings. The Riviera Maya has grown in popularity with international travellers for the third consecutive year. According to David Rebolledo, the general manager of Best Day travel agency, the increase in visitors to the northern Mexico region is because the exchange rate is still good despite the peso losing its value against the U.S dollar, and Americans have easy and affordable access to flights to Cancun, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
The Riviera Maya sits along the Caribbean coast on the Yucatan Peninsula, and stretches from Puerto Morelos to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. The region boasts some of the Mexico's most stunning tropical landscapes including white sandy beaches, turquoise lagoons and sea, oceanfront golf courses, and thriving nature reserves. The region is home to ancient Mayan ruins including cities and temples and archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, El Rey and Chichen Itza.
Holidaymakers can delve beneath the surface of the sapphire sea to explore the world's second largest barrier reef, and swim, snorkel or scuba dive alongside colourful fish, sea turtles, whale sharks, manta rays, sea horses and dolphins. Visitors can also go cave diving or snorkelling the many underground cenotes.
The region boasts an array of accommodation options from luxury beachfront resort, to traditional lodges in the jungle, and there are plenty of hotels, BandBs, and self-catering options in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Puerto Vallarta. Several global hotel chains operate hotels and oceanfront resorts in the Rivera Maya region, including Hard Rock Hotels, Melia International, Ritz-Carlton, Marriott International, Ramada, and Ibis.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...