Survey ranks Vietnam the world's 5th happiest country
A new survey acknowledges what residents of Vietnam and visitors alike already know: Vietnam is one of the happiest places on earth. In fact, the survey puts Vietnam at number five on the list of the globe's happiest countries, noted for its strong life expectancy, its ecological footprint and sustainable well-being.
While some western countries are often praised for their own success a new survey points out that locations such as Southeast Asia and Latin America are leading the pack when it comes to the happiest places on the planet. As detailed in a recent article published by Thanh Nien News, a survey designates Vietnam as the world’s 5th happiest country.
The New Economics Foundation, a think tank based in the United Kingdom, puts the Happy Planet Index together every few years. This year’s index places Vietnam as number five out of a list of 140 countries around the world. Specifically, the survey represents the countries ranked via sustainable well being, or rather how residents are utilizing a country’s environmental resources to translate to a longer, happier life.
The 2016 index takes into account the categories of life expectancy, ecological footprint, inequality of outcomes and well being. Offering a 75.5-year life expectancy, this country of around 90 million people maintains high educational enrolment and a small ecological footprint.
It's not surprising that the country is also ranked by travellers as one of TripAdvisor’s top destinations in the world. In addition, while the article points out that Vietnam and Gambia are similar in size of economies, people in Vietnam enjoy a life expectancy of an additional 17 years. When comparing inequality of outcomes, which takes into account a country’s life expectancy scores and inequality in well being, Vietnam outperforms Costa Rica, which ranks this year again as number one on the list.
The rest of the countries representing the top five for 2016 include Mexico, Columbia and Vanuatu in the South Pacific. This is the fourth release of the Happy Planet Index, also compiled in 2006, 2009 and 2012. Four years ago Vietnam took the honour of second place, slightly behind Costa Rica. The other countries in the top ten that year were all located in Central and South America.
Vietnam has changed drastically over the past decade or so, emerging as one of Southeast Asia’s premiere new tourist destinations. Featuring dozens of national parks and World Heritage Sites the country routinely welcomes foreign visitors for holidays in places like the capital city of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam’s largest city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
A fantastic value trip, exploring Vietnam's most iconic cities and natural wonders with added downtime to relax on the beach
- English-speaking guides and entrance fees included
- Extend your holiday with a break in Cambodia or on the beaches of Phu Quoc
- Day cruise on Halong Bay with lunch included
Witness the beauty of Vietnam for yourself with its awe-inspiring landscapes and fascinating history before rejuvenating on the beachfront on the idyllic island of Phu Quoc
- Try your hand at haggling in the vibrant Ben Thanh Market
- Watch the world go by as you cruise through the Mekong Delta
- Ideal beachfront break on the tropical island of Phu Quoc to finish
An in-depth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
Discover some of the most amazing and iconic sights in the world on this simply stunning trip through Vietnam, Cambodia...