Survey ranks Vietnam the world's 5th happiest country
A new survey acknowledges what residents of Vietnam and visitors alike already know: Vietnam is one of the happiest places on earth. In fact, the survey puts Vietnam at number five on the list of the globe's happiest countries, noted for its strong life expectancy, its ecological footprint and sustainable well-being.
While some western countries are often praised for their own success a new survey points out that locations such as Southeast Asia and Latin America are leading the pack when it comes to the happiest places on the planet. As detailed in a recent article published by Thanh Nien News, a survey designates Vietnam as the world’s 5th happiest country.
The New Economics Foundation, a think tank based in the United Kingdom, puts the Happy Planet Index together every few years. This year’s index places Vietnam as number five out of a list of 140 countries around the world. Specifically, the survey represents the countries ranked via sustainable well being, or rather how residents are utilizing a country’s environmental resources to translate to a longer, happier life.
The 2016 index takes into account the categories of life expectancy, ecological footprint, inequality of outcomes and well being. Offering a 75.5-year life expectancy, this country of around 90 million people maintains high educational enrolment and a small ecological footprint.
It's not surprising that the country is also ranked by travellers as one of TripAdvisor’s top destinations in the world. In addition, while the article points out that Vietnam and Gambia are similar in size of economies, people in Vietnam enjoy a life expectancy of an additional 17 years. When comparing inequality of outcomes, which takes into account a country’s life expectancy scores and inequality in well being, Vietnam outperforms Costa Rica, which ranks this year again as number one on the list.
The rest of the countries representing the top five for 2016 include Mexico, Columbia and Vanuatu in the South Pacific. This is the fourth release of the Happy Planet Index, also compiled in 2006, 2009 and 2012. Four years ago Vietnam took the honour of second place, slightly behind Costa Rica. The other countries in the top ten that year were all located in Central and South America.
Vietnam has changed drastically over the past decade or so, emerging as one of Southeast Asia’s premiere new tourist destinations. Featuring dozens of national parks and World Heritage Sites the country routinely welcomes foreign visitors for holidays in places like the capital city of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam’s largest city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Experience Vietnam’s unique heritage in Hanoi followed by beachfront bliss on Phu Quoc Island
- Private cooking classes at the Le Veranda Resort Phu Quoc
- Intimate beachfront dining on Phu Quoc Island
- Ideal central location in Hanoi
A fantastic value trip, exploring Vietnam's most iconic cities and natural wonders with added downtime to relax on the beach
- English-speaking guides and entrance fees included
- Extend your holiday with a break in Cambodia or on the beaches of Phu Quoc
- Day cruise on Halong Bay with lunch included
Join an adventure through Vietnam’s most memorable sights culminating in a tropical island stay
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches and turquoise waters of Phu Quoc tropical island
- Overnight cruise on a traditionally-designed junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Entrance fees for all included sightseeing, meals as per itinerary and local guides included
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches on a tour through the most remarkable...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...