Lufthansa sells premium economy seats to New York on Airbnb
German airline Lufthansa is using Airbnb's platform to promote and sell its premium economy cabin for flights linking Frankfurt to New York. With a heading that reads "Luxury Awaits in the Clouds", Lufthansa's new listing on Airbnb advertises the airline's premium economy seats as if it were a lodging, or, as they put it - a luxury home in the sky.
In a move that aims to put the airline’s premium economy service on par with a homely lodging, Lufthansa has posted a listing on popular peer-to-peer accommodation website, Airbnb. It has done so to sell seats on the airline’s premium economy cabin for flights connecting Frankfurt to New York for an attractive return fare of 699 Euros, plus Airbnb’s fee which came to €75 at the time we conducted our search.
Although dates are limited (flight availability starts on 23rd August when we checked) the biggest limitation (and major drawback) on these exclusive premium seat prices is the fact that you have to fly out to New York one day and come back to Frankfurt the next day as the Airbnb platform only allows you to book a “maximum duration of stay” of one night.
With a heading that reads “Luxury Awaits in the Clouds” Lufthansa’s Airbnb listing is indeed quirky and enticing with featured details including four bathrooms, a bed, a common room, TV, air conditioning and Wi-Fi. In the listing’s description, the introductory sentence aptly reads: “Our cabin is not in the woods, but in the sky!”
To this the company adds that personalised food and beverages at 910 kilometres per hour is included as is multimedia entertainment. The extra juicy €699 price tag per passenger also includes return tickets, but, as we said earlier, comes with limitations and very specific travel dates.
Lufthansa’s AirBnB listing is a significant step for the company, especially for an airline that only less than a year ago added the Distribution Cost Charge to bookings made via the global distribution systems. This latest move by Lufthansa might be part of their announced “degrees of freedom in our sales activities” strategy, which was unveiled by Lufthansa’s commercial director, Jens Bischof. Then again, perhaps it’s just a sign of the company testing out different sales channels.
The fact that this new company initiative comes (apparently) without the help of NDC (the highly-regarded IATA standard for how airlines present fares and content across third-party channels) is also noteworthy. Like other airlines, Lufthansa has previously said that their direct connect solution makes it possible for them to use NDC and last March they revealed they were working with a German tour operator on a NDC-based pilot project.
IATA, on the other hand, announced in May that a total of 90 carriers are expected to be using the standard by the year 2020 after carrying out a consultation with 180 airline members. The remaining half said they were working on how to integrate it.
Going back to Lufthansa’s Airbnb venture, we can add that those getting in touch with Lufthansa through Airbnb’s platform, in order to make the most of their special premium economy cabin promotion, can benefit from a quick response rate of 90% within the same day (at the time of checking).
And Lufthansa is not the first airline to jump at the prospect of using Airnnb, either. Two years ago KLM launched a fun promotion on the platform offering a one-off overnight stay onboard a retiring MD-11 aircraft from its fleet.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...