Lufthansa sells premium economy seats to New York on Airbnb
German airline Lufthansa is using Airbnb's platform to promote and sell its premium economy cabin for flights linking Frankfurt to New York. With a heading that reads "Luxury Awaits in the Clouds", Lufthansa's new listing on Airbnb advertises the airline's premium economy seats as if it were a lodging, or, as they put it - a luxury home in the sky.
In a move that aims to put the airline’s premium economy service on par with a homely lodging, Lufthansa has posted a listing on popular peer-to-peer accommodation website, Airbnb. It has done so to sell seats on the airline’s premium economy cabin for flights connecting Frankfurt to New York for an attractive return fare of 699 Euros, plus Airbnb’s fee which came to €75 at the time we conducted our search.
Although dates are limited (flight availability starts on 23rd August when we checked) the biggest limitation (and major drawback) on these exclusive premium seat prices is the fact that you have to fly out to New York one day and come back to Frankfurt the next day as the Airbnb platform only allows you to book a “maximum duration of stay” of one night.
With a heading that reads “Luxury Awaits in the Clouds” Lufthansa’s Airbnb listing is indeed quirky and enticing with featured details including four bathrooms, a bed, a common room, TV, air conditioning and Wi-Fi. In the listing’s description, the introductory sentence aptly reads: “Our cabin is not in the woods, but in the sky!”
To this the company adds that personalised food and beverages at 910 kilometres per hour is included as is multimedia entertainment. The extra juicy €699 price tag per passenger also includes return tickets, but, as we said earlier, comes with limitations and very specific travel dates.
Lufthansa’s AirBnB listing is a significant step for the company, especially for an airline that only less than a year ago added the Distribution Cost Charge to bookings made via the global distribution systems. This latest move by Lufthansa might be part of their announced “degrees of freedom in our sales activities” strategy, which was unveiled by Lufthansa’s commercial director, Jens Bischof. Then again, perhaps it’s just a sign of the company testing out different sales channels.
The fact that this new company initiative comes (apparently) without the help of NDC (the highly-regarded IATA standard for how airlines present fares and content across third-party channels) is also noteworthy. Like other airlines, Lufthansa has previously said that their direct connect solution makes it possible for them to use NDC and last March they revealed they were working with a German tour operator on a NDC-based pilot project.
IATA, on the other hand, announced in May that a total of 90 carriers are expected to be using the standard by the year 2020 after carrying out a consultation with 180 airline members. The remaining half said they were working on how to integrate it.
Going back to Lufthansa’s Airbnb venture, we can add that those getting in touch with Lufthansa through Airbnb’s platform, in order to make the most of their special premium economy cabin promotion, can benefit from a quick response rate of 90% within the same day (at the time of checking).
And Lufthansa is not the first airline to jump at the prospect of using Airnnb, either. Two years ago KLM launched a fun promotion on the platform offering a one-off overnight stay onboard a retiring MD-11 aircraft from its fleet.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Enjoy a taste of Thailand with a complimentary cooking class
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...