Travel expert gives you five fantastic reasons to enjoy a honeymoon in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is emerging as the perfect honeymoon destination for couples who are looking for great weather, a tropical location, and a wide choice of adventure and nature activities. Newlyweds won't even have to pay a fortune for the experience, as it is one of the most affordable destinations with a range of hotels and excursions to suit all budgets.
Getting married can be an expensive event, so when it comes to booking a honeymoon, couples want to be able to combine fantastic weather with an unforgettable experience filled with activities and a memorable location. Costa Rica is becoming an increasingly popular destination for honeymoons, and fortunately, it is more affordable that people think.
The Huffington Post has highlighted some of the reasons that Costa Rica is the ideal honeymoon destination.
Thanks to the wide selection of tour operators and travel agencies, couples can create their honeymoons to suit their budget and preference of activities. Whether it’s a luxury lodge in the rainforest, a beach bungalow or a B&B, there are plenty to choose from. If couples prefer a honeymoon packed with activities such as horse riding or zip-lining, this can be arranged, or if they just want to relax on the beach and wander around at their own pace, there are plenty of affordable choices.
Costa Ricans are generally very warm and friendly, and they’ll often be heard saying “Pura Vida” which means pure life. Many people in the tourism industry and main cities and towns speak English, but it doesn’t hurt to learn a few Spanish words to show you’re making an effort.
Food in Costa Rica is almost always fresh and there’s a wide selection of meat and vegetarian options. Many dishes are served with meat and fish, and plantains like rice and black beans. Fruit is plentiful in Costa Rica, and ranges from guava, granadilla, zapote, sweet lemons and Nispero which is similar to an apricot. Gallo Pinto is a traditional Costa Rican dish made of stir-fried rice and black beans, and it usually accompanies meat, fish or scrambled eggs.
Costa Rica is a tropical country with a rainy season from May to November, and there’s more humidity in destinations near the Cloud Forest. The dry season runs from December to April and during this time there’s plenty of sunshine, blue skies, high temperatures, and the odd shower of rain to keep things fresh.
Nature and adventure
Newlyweds won’t have to choose between adventurous activities and nature spots as Costa Rica offers both. For the thrill-seekers, there’s zip-lining through canopy forests, white-water rafting, ATV rides, and horse riding across beaches. Costa Rica is home to 22 national parks, 12 biological reserves, 10 wildlife reserves, and eight forest reserves. With 25 per cent of country protected, it has an impressive 13,000 plant species, 4,500 butterfly species, 220 species of reptiles and 870 types of birds.
Some of the top nature attractions include Monteverde Cloud Forest with its colourful birds and animals; Tortuguero National Park where you can watch turtles hatch on beaches; Corcovado National Park, the largest park in Costa Rica that is home to jaguars, harpy eagles, and a lowland rainforest; and the Arenal Volcano National Park that boasts the magnificent Arenal Volcano.
Costa Rica is a country in Central America that has a Pacific coast and Caribbean coast. Honeymooners can enjoy the country’s huge choice of white and golden sandy beaches, lush jungles, turquoise lagoons, and historic cities including the capital San Jose with its Spanish colonial architecture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the Caribbean side of the country that has a culture of its own with joyful Reggae Music the beat of the region
- Discover the amazing Sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary in a little bit of paradise with various other animals to see along with fauna in the tropical rainforest setting
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours only as per the itinerary
- Enjoy various other excursions on this tour including a Tortuguero Canals Boat Tour, Boat ride over La Estrella River along with much more
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...