Adventurous canadian photographer captures mesmerizing images of Mexico and Ecuador
Carrying his entire life in a 21-foot travel trailer, Canadian photographer Benoit Paille decided to live life "off the grid" three years ago and explore the world with no strings attached. After visiting Mexico and Ecuador, the artist recently revealed some of the amazing and uncanny pictures he took. Exuberating colours and subtle ironies are his trademark.
On the road in his mobile home for three years now, Benoit Paille is an atypical artist, a conscience agitator and a creative genius who is monstrously curious, absent and edgy. This Canadian photographer decided to put aside the luxuries and comforts of his regular day-to-day life in order to explore the world, capture singular moments and sceneries and display them to the public from his individual perspective.
Cultivating a predilection for casual people and locations, kitsch landscapes, fences and strange car parks, Paille is always seeking the unexpected and the unseen. What does he take on his quest? Travelling in his 21-foot camper, the artist takes strictly minimal resources: he obtains energy from a solar panel and carries his most important tools: a camera, a flash drive and coloured gels. Paille jokes that indeed his most luxurious possession is his toaster.
This time, the photographer’s most recent adventures took place in two beautiful Latin American countries, Mexico and Ecuador. With his usual manner of transmuting natural terrains through vivid colours, he portrayed popular destinations like Quintana Roo in Mexico in a completely different light. In each picture of his trip the use of neon pinks, greens and blues become a special kind of signature, a fingerprint evidencing his own existence. His unconventional shoots show the contrast between the wonders of natural beauty and the disruption caused by industrial development.
In Paille’s own words:
“Everybody can shoot a beautiful scenery or sunset, but I’d rather be a pataphysician, (…) apply myself to think about what others don’t. I often see myself like a hyper realist painter, my pictures documenting an altered state of mind.”
In each shot an ironic undertone lets us see a subtle yet harsh critique of today’s society. He denounces the corruption of nature through this blend of natural sites including dazzling beaches, impressive fields and exotic fauna with human touches that transform these blissful sites into synthetic, artificial, marketable destinations filled with terrible pollution and contamination.
This work is the latest project Paille has been developing. Fans of his creations can also observe prior photographs filled with imagination and electricity, like the album “Rainbow Gathering in Quebec” shot in 2015 or “The Kitsch Destruction of Our World”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...