Adventurous canadian photographer captures mesmerizing images of Mexico and Ecuador
Carrying his entire life in a 21-foot travel trailer, Canadian photographer Benoit Paille decided to live life "off the grid" three years ago and explore the world with no strings attached. After visiting Mexico and Ecuador, the artist recently revealed some of the amazing and uncanny pictures he took. Exuberating colours and subtle ironies are his trademark.
On the road in his mobile home for three years now, Benoit Paille is an atypical artist, a conscience agitator and a creative genius who is monstrously curious, absent and edgy. This Canadian photographer decided to put aside the luxuries and comforts of his regular day-to-day life in order to explore the world, capture singular moments and sceneries and display them to the public from his individual perspective.
Cultivating a predilection for casual people and locations, kitsch landscapes, fences and strange car parks, Paille is always seeking the unexpected and the unseen. What does he take on his quest? Travelling in his 21-foot camper, the artist takes strictly minimal resources: he obtains energy from a solar panel and carries his most important tools: a camera, a flash drive and coloured gels. Paille jokes that indeed his most luxurious possession is his toaster.
This time, the photographer’s most recent adventures took place in two beautiful Latin American countries, Mexico and Ecuador. With his usual manner of transmuting natural terrains through vivid colours, he portrayed popular destinations like Quintana Roo in Mexico in a completely different light. In each picture of his trip the use of neon pinks, greens and blues become a special kind of signature, a fingerprint evidencing his own existence. His unconventional shoots show the contrast between the wonders of natural beauty and the disruption caused by industrial development.
In Paille’s own words:
“Everybody can shoot a beautiful scenery or sunset, but I’d rather be a pataphysician, (…) apply myself to think about what others don’t. I often see myself like a hyper realist painter, my pictures documenting an altered state of mind.”
In each shot an ironic undertone lets us see a subtle yet harsh critique of today’s society. He denounces the corruption of nature through this blend of natural sites including dazzling beaches, impressive fields and exotic fauna with human touches that transform these blissful sites into synthetic, artificial, marketable destinations filled with terrible pollution and contamination.
This work is the latest project Paille has been developing. Fans of his creations can also observe prior photographs filled with imagination and electricity, like the album “Rainbow Gathering in Quebec” shot in 2015 or “The Kitsch Destruction of Our World”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...