Singer Katy Perry reflects on her visit to Vietnam
Known worldwide for her bright costumes and theatrical performances, pop singer Katy Perry is showing a different side of her star-worthy persona on the other side of the world. Perry recently returned from a UNICEF trip to Vietnam where she reflects upon the economic disparities and the efforts to help combat some of the most severe issues of poverty.
For fans, American pop singer Katy Perry is most commonly associated with eccentric clothing, elaborate concerts and memorable lyrics, but her latest role took her far from the bright lights and admiring fans she is used to in the United States. Perry recently returned from a trip to Vietnam with UNICEF, where she recounts meeting children and families.
Perry shares her experiences and photographs in Refinery29.com, a fashion, style and beauty website. In it, she writes about the nearly 8,000-mile journey she took to the country’s south central coast. She spent four days in Rural Ninh Thuan Province, described as one of Vietnam’s most impoverished regions.
One of the specific instances that captured her attention was a visit to a rural health centre that helps monitor malnutrition in area children. She describes meeting a young mother and toddler who had recently started coming to the centre. The two and a half year old child weighed only 16.5 pounds when he first arrived, well below that of a healthy child his age. Within two months of seeing healthcare workers the child was gaining weight, jumping and playing.
The third day of her visit brought the singer to the Phuoc Chinh public preschool. A majority of the students belong to the same ethnic minority group. While many of the kids grow up in homes only speaking their local language, the preschool teaches the kids Vietnamese, which Perry remarks is a necessary skill in attending primary school. She hopes schools such as this will make a difference in the future.
That same day she also met with older kids at the Ngo Quyen Lower Secondary School, where the vast majority are also in an ethnic minority. While many of the kids came from families of farmers, she met kids who dream of becoming teachers and doctors. One little girl, who dreams of becoming a musician herself, is pictured with Perry singing a rendition of Perry’s hit “Firework”. The pop star credits UNICEF for investing in the kids and their futures.
Overall, Perry describes her experience as humbling yet she remains grateful she was able to meet the young children. She urges everyone to work together to eventually break the longstanding cycle of poverty by ensuring that all children have an equal opportunity in life from the very beginning.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Join an adventure through Vietnam’s most memorable sights culminating in a tropical island stay
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches and turquoise waters of Phu Quoc tropical island
- Overnight cruise on a traditionally-designed junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Entrance fees for all included sightseeing, meals as per itinerary and local guides included
Experience all the natural beauty and cultural variety of Vietnam on a deluxe tour
- Five-star hotels throughout
- Overnight Halong Bay cruise on a traditionally designed junk boat with meals included
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches of central Vietnam
Experience the best of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure through Indochina
- Expert local guides in each country
- Breakfast included daily and three dinners
- Spend the night on Halong Bay on a traditional Junk boat with meals included
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches on a tour through the most remarkable...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...