Singer Katy Perry reflects on her visit to Vietnam
Known worldwide for her bright costumes and theatrical performances, pop singer Katy Perry is showing a different side of her star-worthy persona on the other side of the world. Perry recently returned from a UNICEF trip to Vietnam where she reflects upon the economic disparities and the efforts to help combat some of the most severe issues of poverty.
For fans, American pop singer Katy Perry is most commonly associated with eccentric clothing, elaborate concerts and memorable lyrics, but her latest role took her far from the bright lights and admiring fans she is used to in the United States. Perry recently returned from a trip to Vietnam with UNICEF, where she recounts meeting children and families.
Perry shares her experiences and photographs in Refinery29.com, a fashion, style and beauty website. In it, she writes about the nearly 8,000-mile journey she took to the country’s south central coast. She spent four days in Rural Ninh Thuan Province, described as one of Vietnam’s most impoverished regions.
One of the specific instances that captured her attention was a visit to a rural health centre that helps monitor malnutrition in area children. She describes meeting a young mother and toddler who had recently started coming to the centre. The two and a half year old child weighed only 16.5 pounds when he first arrived, well below that of a healthy child his age. Within two months of seeing healthcare workers the child was gaining weight, jumping and playing.
The third day of her visit brought the singer to the Phuoc Chinh public preschool. A majority of the students belong to the same ethnic minority group. While many of the kids grow up in homes only speaking their local language, the preschool teaches the kids Vietnamese, which Perry remarks is a necessary skill in attending primary school. She hopes schools such as this will make a difference in the future.
That same day she also met with older kids at the Ngo Quyen Lower Secondary School, where the vast majority are also in an ethnic minority. While many of the kids came from families of farmers, she met kids who dream of becoming teachers and doctors. One little girl, who dreams of becoming a musician herself, is pictured with Perry singing a rendition of Perry’s hit “Firework”. The pop star credits UNICEF for investing in the kids and their futures.
Overall, Perry describes her experience as humbling yet she remains grateful she was able to meet the young children. She urges everyone to work together to eventually break the longstanding cycle of poverty by ensuring that all children have an equal opportunity in life from the very beginning.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Discover the history of Vietnam in the country’s capital before heading across to the unspoilt beauty of Phu Quoc Island
- Romantic rooftop bar over Hanoi
- Complimentary beach Yoga and Tai Chi on Phu Quoc
- Idyllic romantic retreat
Theme park Excitement for the whole family at vinpearl phu quoc resort and golf
- With over 2000 rare animals representing more than 130 species, Vinpearl Safari is the largest open-range Safari park in Veitnam
- Take advantage of the local tourist markets, where you can test your bartering skills
- Vinpearl Land Phu Quoc, an amazing theme park designed to entertain the whole family
An indepth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...
Discover the beauty of a superb Sandy Beach Non Nuoc Resort Danang, located by the pristine stretch of beach and...