Neon lights and vibrant marketing: the signs of the new Cuba
In the last five years, the Cuban government has allowed the expansion of the private sector in the island, thus enabling people to have more options for improving their life conditions. A myriad of initiatives and a very talented and active bunch of entrepreneurs has emerged in this context, and the development of marketing and advertising strategies is one of the most visible signals of the growth in Cuba's booming private sector.
Cuba´s urban landscape has changed slightly in recent years with the development of the private sector, as new businesses start using diverse promotional strategies that go from putting up shiny signs on the streets to distributing videos and flyers to attract foreign and Cuban customers.
In an article entitled “Marketing in Communist-ruled Cuba: from guerrilla to mainstream?” British news agency Reuters reflects on the fact that with the new governmental reforms that have boosted private entrepreneurship,
“Havana streets that used to be pitch dark at night are lit up by neon signs advertising restaurants or spare rooms in private homes”.
Public spaces in the Caribbean country -which is known around the world as one of the few communist regimes that survived the collapse of the Soviet Union in the 1990s- used to be wrapped by communist and revolutionary propaganda. Posters and murals with the image of Che Guevara, one of the most important leaders in the early days of the Cuban Revolution, were very common in the streets, to the point that they were considered among the most relevant features of local urban landscapes.
But now, market-driven measures aimed at stimulating the Cuban economy and boosting the tourism industry in particular, have introduced some changes, as private restaurants, cafes, bars, barbershops, craft and design shops all flourish along some of the country’s most popular avenues and neighbourhoods. As a direct consequence of booming new businesses popping up everywhere, colourful and ingenious signs have started being displayed alongside them.
However, Reuters points out that international agencies in the advertising industry who are now in the preliminary stages of opening offices in the island are unlikely to make big money during this initial stage of the reforms, as businesses cannot (yet) use official media to promote their offers and most of the Cuban architecture remains free of billboards.
In the meantime, alternative and widely circulating media like "El Paquete" (a system for the distribution of pirated digital contents such as Latin soaps, films and TV shows using mobile technologies, e.g. hard drives) have introduced apps, videos and magazines containing advertisement designed mostly by young Cuban professionals who have found a source of alternative employment in the emerging private sector.
Reuters observes that marketing strategies are new for most of the Cuban entrepreneurs, who never before had to face the challenge of working in a competitive environment as the state-run businesses were predominant before the new reforms for developing the private capital were put in place.
According to Reuters the evolution of advertising in Cuba could provide new jobs for creative minds in the near future:
“Marketing may itself become a revenue earner in a country with a highly educated workforce and low salaries”.
Even though designers and big agencies face a myriad of challenges in the Cuban context such as considerable difficulties for accessing the internet, creativity will push forward a change towards more sophisticated promotional strategies and a stronger presence of advertisements in the public sphere. In the meantime, holidays in Cuba are an excellent opportunity to travel to an advertisement-free world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...