Escape to Sri Lanka's sustainable Tri Hotel on Lake Koggala
When most travellers head to Sri Lanka, it's for the golden-sand beaches and oceanfront accommodation, but one hotel has utilised its unique position on the northern shores of Lake Koggala. Created by British photographer Robert Drummond and his wife, Tri is a small eco-hotel with 10 luxury rooms that have been nestled into the natural landscape, and facilities including a tree-top spa, a pool, and a 360-degree summit viewing deck.
Sri Lanka is renowned for its vast golden sandy beaches sandwiched between lush jungle and turquoise waters.
While many holidaymakers will flock to beachfront accommodation, one small hotel is luring travellers to the shores of the country’s biggest lake. Tri is a small eco-friendly hotel nestled on the northern banks of the vast Lake Koggala that was created by British photographer Robert Drummond and his wife Lara Baumann.
Situated on six area of verdant land and surrounded by greenery and trees, the hotel has just ten luxury stand-alone suites that embrace their natural surroundings throughout the architecture, design and style. Built with nature at the forefront, the sustainable hotel were constructed using natural, local materials including recycled wood and features include living walls, solar hot water, and green roofs on the suites where plants grow.
The central water tower is 40-feet high and boasts two suites at the top and a rooftop terrace where guests can enjoy gourmet food such as lake oysters and beetroot cocktails, as the sun sets over the lake. Tri’s Beach Club and Restaurant on Kabalana Beach is also available to guests.
Visitors can enjoy a refreshing swim in the 21-metre-long swimming pool with decking areas and terraces, read books in the library, play games in the entertainment room, or soak up the stunning views from the 360-degree summit viewing deck. A treetop platform is perched above a bamboo grove and houses a Yoga Shala where guests can take part in unique Quantum Yoga classes taught by co-owner Lara Baumann, or relax with therapies in the treatment rooms and steam cavern.
Tri is located 2.5 hours from Colombo International Airport and 30 minutes from Galle. Koggala Lake is a landing zone and tourists can get flights with Cinnamon Air from Bandaranaike International Airport to the lake’s air base where they will be picked up by the Tri’s boat captain for a short transfer to the hotel.
Guests can enjoy excursions to nearby Galle, a Dutch colonial walled city and UNESCO World heritage Site that is home to 17th-century forts, Galle Lighthouse, the National Museum of Galle and the National Maritime Museum. Other activities in the area include whale watching, kayaking on the lake, visits to temples and trips to the beaches.
Since the end of the 25-year-long civil war in 2011, Sri Lanka has become a thriving tourist destination with eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites and spectacular natural landscapes, from vast beaches to emerald jungles.
A popular tourist route on the Indian Ocean island is the Cultural Triangle where visitors can enjoy the country’s history, heritage and natural beauty. Home to powder-soft sandy beaches and soaring mountains, tourists can explore verdant tea plantations, visit an Elephant Orphanage, and discover the Rock Fortress at Sigiriya.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....