Five fantastic destinations to enjoy scuba diving in the United Arab Emirates this summer
The United Arab Emirates is made up of seven states that are popular destinations due to all-year-round sunny, hot weather and magnificent natural landscapes. Its crystal-clear waters are now attracting more scuba diving enthusiasts, and Time Out Dubai has highlighted some of the best diving destinations in the Middle Eastern region, from rocky structures to sunken shipwrecks.
When it comes to the world’s best scuba diving destinations, most people think of the Maldives, the Red Sea, and the Caribbean. However, the United Arab Emirates offers a variety of scuba diving sites and crystal-clear waters that are home to a whole new world.
Time Out Dubai has highlighted some of the Middle Eastern region’s best diving sites, recommended by Mohammed Helmy, the course director at Al Boom Diving, A PADI-certified diving hub in the UAE.
Located 45 minutes by boat from the Palm Jumeirah in Dubai, this deep wreck site is perfect for experienced and advanced scuba divers. Divers will get the chance to swim alongside some barracudas, bannerfish, stonefish, scorpionfish, yellow snappers, batfish and small oysters in the waters of the azure Arabian Gulf.
Shaped like an upside down Martini glass, this rock formation in Fujairah offers depths between 10 and 23 metres. If divers go at night, they might catch sightings of sleeping sea turtles and feeding rays, and sometimes the odd leopard shark will put in an appearance.
Also in Fujairah is Sharm Rocks, just off Snoopy Island (named after the cartoon dog), where divers and snorkelers will get to see large parrotfish, and broomtailed wrasse. With depths up to 14 metres, the site is fantastic for open water diving and sightings of reef sharks, rays and turtles are often spotted.
Inchcape is located about ten minutes by boat from Al Aqah in Fujairah, and it’s a hotspot for advanced open water divers with depths of up to 30 feet. Underwater delights include stingrays, pufferfish, and honeycomb eels, and sometimes divers will catch a glimpse of rare mola mola fish darting about in the deep waters.
Described by Mr Helmy as the “perfect for snorkellers, as well as open water divers”, Dibba Rock is located 20 minutes by boat from Al Aqah in Fujairah and was named after Dibba village. With depths between four and 16 metres, divers are almost guaranteed to see turtles, and there are strong numbers of black tip reef sharks.
The temperature of the sea in the United Arab Emirates during the summer months is usually 10 degrees Celsius cooler than the air temperature, making it the perfect place to cool off while delving into the magnificent underwater world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Exlusive Free Half Board upgrade (book by 11 November 2017)!!!
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Free Half Board
Take in the sights of the Golden Triangle tour where you will feel transported back in time then head for Dubai the world's most futuristic destination
- Complete your stay with a short break in luxurious Dubai
- Enjoy a horse carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal
- Experience a traditional Rajasthani dinner with a local family
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...