Five fantastic destinations to enjoy scuba diving in the United Arab Emirates this summer
The United Arab Emirates is made up of seven states that are popular destinations due to all-year-round sunny, hot weather and magnificent natural landscapes. Its crystal-clear waters are now attracting more scuba diving enthusiasts, and Time Out Dubai has highlighted some of the best diving destinations in the Middle Eastern region, from rocky structures to sunken shipwrecks.
When it comes to the world’s best scuba diving destinations, most people think of the Maldives, the Red Sea, and the Caribbean. However, the United Arab Emirates offers a variety of scuba diving sites and crystal-clear waters that are home to a whole new world.
Time Out Dubai has highlighted some of the Middle Eastern region’s best diving sites, recommended by Mohammed Helmy, the course director at Al Boom Diving, A PADI-certified diving hub in the UAE.
Located 45 minutes by boat from the Palm Jumeirah in Dubai, this deep wreck site is perfect for experienced and advanced scuba divers. Divers will get the chance to swim alongside some barracudas, bannerfish, stonefish, scorpionfish, yellow snappers, batfish and small oysters in the waters of the azure Arabian Gulf.
Shaped like an upside down Martini glass, this rock formation in Fujairah offers depths between 10 and 23 metres. If divers go at night, they might catch sightings of sleeping sea turtles and feeding rays, and sometimes the odd leopard shark will put in an appearance.
Also in Fujairah is Sharm Rocks, just off Snoopy Island (named after the cartoon dog), where divers and snorkelers will get to see large parrotfish, and broomtailed wrasse. With depths up to 14 metres, the site is fantastic for open water diving and sightings of reef sharks, rays and turtles are often spotted.
Inchcape is located about ten minutes by boat from Al Aqah in Fujairah, and it’s a hotspot for advanced open water divers with depths of up to 30 feet. Underwater delights include stingrays, pufferfish, and honeycomb eels, and sometimes divers will catch a glimpse of rare mola mola fish darting about in the deep waters.
Described by Mr Helmy as the “perfect for snorkellers, as well as open water divers”, Dibba Rock is located 20 minutes by boat from Al Aqah in Fujairah and was named after Dibba village. With depths between four and 16 metres, divers are almost guaranteed to see turtles, and there are strong numbers of black tip reef sharks.
The temperature of the sea in the United Arab Emirates during the summer months is usually 10 degrees Celsius cooler than the air temperature, making it the perfect place to cool off while delving into the magnificent underwater world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...