Silver Airways permitted by U.S DOT to start flights between Florida and Cuba from September
Silver Airways has been given permission from the U.S Department of Transportation to operate flights between South Florida and Cuba. The small air carrier will commence flights to the Caribbean island from 1st September, 2016 to Cuban destinations including Varadero, Santa Clara, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Camaguey, Cienfuego, Holguin, Manzanillo and Santiago.
The U.S. Department of Transportation has granted permission for Silver Airways to operate new flights between Florida in the United States and nine destinations in Cuba. The new schedule to the Caribbean island will start on 1st September, 2016. The small air carrier usually serves destinations in Florida and the Bahamas, but from this autumn, it will be able to offer services to Cuba’s sunny destinations including Santa Clara, Camagüey, Cienfuego, Holguín, Santiago, Cayo Coco, Varadero, Cayo Largo, and Manzanillo.
Silver Airways’ executive vice president of commercial and chief financial officer, Jason Bewley, explained that the company is now waiting for the Cuban authorities to formally authorise the dates for the U.S. flights, but it is already selling flights to customers on its website. Mr Bewley said that even if Cuba’s government increase taxes on the flights, they will still honour the fares they are selling.
Return flights to Santa Clara from Florida, for example, will depart on 8th September, 2016 and return a week later, and start from $313. The Santa Clara flights will operate three times a week from Fort Lauderdale in September, and daily from 13th October. The services to the other eight destinations in Cuba will commence between 13th October and 16th December, and will range from daily to weekly, depending on the route.
Silver Airways is still waiting for approval from the Department of Transport for its service to Havana from airports in West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Key West, and Jacksonville. There are fears that if Silver does not get Havana, it will weaken its secondary cities and for some routes, the operation might not be economically viable. The airline wants to offer the best choices of flights to Cuba for travellers from Florida.
The air carrier’s flights to Cuba will be operated on 22 Saab 340B Plus turbo-prop aircraft with 34 seats. Owned by the Chicago-based Victory park Capital Advisors LLC, Silver Airways is a leading regional airline that operates approximately 170 daily flights to 20 cities within U.S, as well as seven airports in the Bahamas, which is located about 50 miles from the coast of Florida.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...