Silver Airways permitted by U.S DOT to start flights between Florida and Cuba from September
Silver Airways has been given permission from the U.S Department of Transportation to operate flights between South Florida and Cuba. The small air carrier will commence flights to the Caribbean island from 1st September, 2016 to Cuban destinations including Varadero, Santa Clara, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Camaguey, Cienfuego, Holguin, Manzanillo and Santiago.
The U.S. Department of Transportation has granted permission for Silver Airways to operate new flights between Florida in the United States and nine destinations in Cuba. The new schedule to the Caribbean island will start on 1st September, 2016. The small air carrier usually serves destinations in Florida and the Bahamas, but from this autumn, it will be able to offer services to Cuba’s sunny destinations including Santa Clara, Camagüey, Cienfuego, Holguín, Santiago, Cayo Coco, Varadero, Cayo Largo, and Manzanillo.
Silver Airways’ executive vice president of commercial and chief financial officer, Jason Bewley, explained that the company is now waiting for the Cuban authorities to formally authorise the dates for the U.S. flights, but it is already selling flights to customers on its website. Mr Bewley said that even if Cuba’s government increase taxes on the flights, they will still honour the fares they are selling.
Return flights to Santa Clara from Florida, for example, will depart on 8th September, 2016 and return a week later, and start from $313. The Santa Clara flights will operate three times a week from Fort Lauderdale in September, and daily from 13th October. The services to the other eight destinations in Cuba will commence between 13th October and 16th December, and will range from daily to weekly, depending on the route.
Silver Airways is still waiting for approval from the Department of Transport for its service to Havana from airports in West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Key West, and Jacksonville. There are fears that if Silver does not get Havana, it will weaken its secondary cities and for some routes, the operation might not be economically viable. The airline wants to offer the best choices of flights to Cuba for travellers from Florida.
The air carrier’s flights to Cuba will be operated on 22 Saab 340B Plus turbo-prop aircraft with 34 seats. Owned by the Chicago-based Victory park Capital Advisors LLC, Silver Airways is a leading regional airline that operates approximately 170 daily flights to 20 cities within U.S, as well as seven airports in the Bahamas, which is located about 50 miles from the coast of Florida.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...