Silver Airways permitted by U.S DOT to start flights between Florida and Cuba from September
Silver Airways has been given permission from the U.S Department of Transportation to operate flights between South Florida and Cuba. The small air carrier will commence flights to the Caribbean island from 1st September, 2016 to Cuban destinations including Varadero, Santa Clara, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Camaguey, Cienfuego, Holguin, Manzanillo and Santiago.
The U.S. Department of Transportation has granted permission for Silver Airways to operate new flights between Florida in the United States and nine destinations in Cuba. The new schedule to the Caribbean island will start on 1st September, 2016. The small air carrier usually serves destinations in Florida and the Bahamas, but from this autumn, it will be able to offer services to Cuba’s sunny destinations including Santa Clara, Camagüey, Cienfuego, Holguín, Santiago, Cayo Coco, Varadero, Cayo Largo, and Manzanillo.
Silver Airways’ executive vice president of commercial and chief financial officer, Jason Bewley, explained that the company is now waiting for the Cuban authorities to formally authorise the dates for the U.S. flights, but it is already selling flights to customers on its website. Mr Bewley said that even if Cuba’s government increase taxes on the flights, they will still honour the fares they are selling.
Return flights to Santa Clara from Florida, for example, will depart on 8th September, 2016 and return a week later, and start from $313. The Santa Clara flights will operate three times a week from Fort Lauderdale in September, and daily from 13th October. The services to the other eight destinations in Cuba will commence between 13th October and 16th December, and will range from daily to weekly, depending on the route.
Silver Airways is still waiting for approval from the Department of Transport for its service to Havana from airports in West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Key West, and Jacksonville. There are fears that if Silver does not get Havana, it will weaken its secondary cities and for some routes, the operation might not be economically viable. The airline wants to offer the best choices of flights to Cuba for travellers from Florida.
The air carrier’s flights to Cuba will be operated on 22 Saab 340B Plus turbo-prop aircraft with 34 seats. Owned by the Chicago-based Victory park Capital Advisors LLC, Silver Airways is a leading regional airline that operates approximately 170 daily flights to 20 cities within U.S, as well as seven airports in the Bahamas, which is located about 50 miles from the coast of Florida.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...