TripAdvisor reveals Top 10 Tourist attractions in India, with Taj Mahal in the top spot
Leading travel booking website TripAdvisor.com has revealed the top 10 tourist destinations in India. In the website's recent Travelers' Choice Awards, several landmarks were awarded and many of these have been added to the list of Indian attractions, including Siddhivinayak Temple in Mumbai, the famous Taj Mahal, the Qutub Minar, and Amber Fort in Jaipur.
TripAdvisor.com, the world’s leading travel and booking site, has recently revealed the best attractions in India. The company compiled a list of top 10 attractions in India, many of which were listed in the landmarks category of the Travelers' Choice Awards.
In first place is the iconic Taj Mahal, a huge white marble mausoleum that was built to be the final resting place for the favourite wife of the Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan in 1632. Located in the city of Agra on the right bank of the Yamuna River, the huge building sits within 17 hectares of manicured gardens and features symmetric design. It is one of the most popular attractions in the world, and visitors flock to see its changing colours throughout the day from the reflection of the sky.
Listed in second place, Amber Fort has stunning marble and red sandstone architecture attracts thousands of holidaymakers every year. Located on a Jaipur hill, visitor can explore the site on foot or on an elephant, visiting the palaces, courtyards, temples, and alleyways.
The Golden Temple in Amritsar in northern Punjab was ranked in third place of the TripAdvisor list, and is a central place for worship for the Sikhs. Known as the Golden Temple, the gold-domed building opened in 1604 and one of its main features is a tank that encircles the shrine of the Amrit Sarovar with a marble walkway. Many people visit the site to bathe in the waters that are said to have healing powers.
Fourth place was awarded to the Bandra-Worli Sea Link, in Mumbai, an impressive cable-stayed bridge that connects Bandra in western of Mumbai with Worli in South Mumbai. The eight-lane bridge was built over a decade between 2000 and 2010 and cost $250 million to construct. Measuring at 126 metres high, the bridge cut the travel time between the two parts of Mumbai from 60-90 minutes to 6-8 minutes.
Swaminarayan Akshardham in New Delhi was in the list as well. This Hindu place of worship, the magnificent structure and complex was opened in 2005 and is a tribute to Bhagwan Swaminarayan. The Mandir was built using built from intricately carved sandstone and marble, and more than 8,000 global volunteers helped to create it. The complex features courtyards, water features, gardens, exhibitions, and Sahaj Anand, a stunning multimedia water show that has coloured lasers, water jets, underwater flames, videos, music and live actors that perform a story from Kena Upanishad.
The five other winners in the TripAdvisor list include, Agra Fort, Agra; Qutub Minar, New Delhi; Siddhivinayak Temple, Mumbai; Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur; and Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, New Delhi. The winning landmarks in India were decided using an algorithm by TripAdvisor that compiled data from the amount and quality of reviews left by worldwide travellers over the past 12 months.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Enjoy the highlights of Cochin, Periyar National Park and Alleppey which is on everyones must-visit list for Kerala
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- The Houseboat offers a floating holiday on the backwaters highway with Rainbow Cruises and is perhaps the most enchanting holiday experience in the world
- English speaking guide will be available for sightseeing throughout your once in a life-time trip
- Add on private tours from an extra £99 per person, £300 off the usual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
Explore India's famed landmarks and rich culture on an all-encompassing adventure that leaves no stone unturned
- Call now to upgrade to a private tour, including a private car and driver, and personal local guides
- Envisage many world renowned sights including the Taj Mahal with amazing inclusions to experience such as an exclusive Rajasthani Feast
- During the tour you'll be able to enjoy various extras including a bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, a Chambal River Safari and much more
Journey through the heart of India exploring various monuments including The Taj Mahal and The Golden Temple in Amritsar
Go on a holiday of a lifetime visiting many of the must see tourist spots and more secluded parts that will memorable memories
- Visit the Wagah border to experience the amazing "Lowering of the Flag" ceremony a once in a lifetime activity to witness
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and enjoy two fabolous dinners in Amritsar
A magical journey on the fastest train in India - A truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Golden Triangle
Travel through the heart of this wonderful country unearthing many hidden gems and witnessing many of India's most famous landmarks and monuments
- Journey on the fantastic Gatimaan Express, India's first train of it's type that was launched in April 2016
- Enjoy various excursions along the way such as a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, Jeep ride ascending Amber Fort and a Rajasthani feast with a local family, all included
- Travel between New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, with English speaking local guides for sightseeing and excursion tours
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...