New Delhi emerges as destination for LGBT travellers
New Delhi, the capital of India, is a thriving district in Delhi, and it is becoming an increasing popular destination for LGBT travellers. From guided tours of magnificent historic architecture and Old Delhi, to rides in bumpy rickshaws and shopping at bustling bazaars or high end boutiques, there's something for every holidaymaker in this cultural hub.
New Delhi, the capital of India, is a thriving district in Delhi, and it is becoming an increasing popular destination for LGBT travellers. From guided tours of magnificent historic architecture and Old Delhi, to rides in bumpy rickshaws and shopping at bustling bazaars or high end boutiques, there’s something for every holidaymaker in this cultural hub.
New Delhi is emerging as a hotspot for LGBT travellers, despite homosexuality not being openlu allowed in India. The capital of India is a bustling hub that offers wide range of activities and attractions, from history to shopping. Over recent years, there have been several efforts made by the LGBT community in India to overturn the 165-year-old law that can give 10 years imprisonment for gay sex, and earlier this year the Supreme Court said it would re-examine the law.
In Delhi, there are numerous places where the LGBT community are welcome such as bars and nightclubs including Concord, Nyx, Miraaz and SKyy Lounge. Every November, the streets of Delhi host the Queer Pride Parade which is more of a celebration of the LGBT community, rather than a protest about the current law.
Travellers visiting the vibrant district of New Delhi will find a variety of things to see and do, whether they’re history buffs or foodies.
Getting around New Delhi by foot can be difficult and dangerous due to the heavy and chaotic traffic, but one of the best ways to see the city is by rickshaw or tuk-tuk. Tourists can take a tour of the city’s architecture where they’ll see gems like the Lotus Temple, Humayun’s Tomb, the temples of Akshardham and Laxminarayan, and the India Gate war memorial.
The Rashtrapati Bhavan (presidential residence) is a must-see, and it’s the world’s largest house for a chief of state. The vast 330-acre complex includes Parliament House the Secretariat, and the beautiful Mughal gardens that span 15 acres. Shopping enthusiasts will love the high end, boutique stores, art galleries and gourmet restaurants in Connaught Place, while the walled city of Old Delhi boasts traditional bazaars where they can soak up the aromas, bustling atmosphere, and haggle with vendors.
In Old Delhi, visitors can stand beneath the beautiful entry gates, before heading to the Red Fort, a 17th-century palace fortress.
Some of the city’s most spectacular landmarks include Lotus Temple, the flower-shaped Baha'i House of Worship; Humayun's Tomb, where the Mughal Emperor Humayu lies; Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India; the Chhatarpur Temple complex for Hindu worship; and the Qutb Minar, the tallest brick minaret in the world located in the UNESCO-listed Qutb complex.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Enjoy the highlights of Cochin, Periyar National Park and Alleppey which is on everyones must-visit list for Kerala
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- The Houseboat offers a floating holiday on the backwaters highway with Rainbow Cruises and is perhaps the most enchanting holiday experience in the world
- English speaking guide will be available for sightseeing throughout your once in a life-time trip
- Add on private tours from an extra £99 per person, £300 off the usual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
A magical journey on the fastest train in India - A truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Golden Triangle
Travel through the heart of this wonderful country unearthing many hidden gems and witnessing many of India's most famous landmarks and monuments
- Journey on the fantastic Gatimaan Express, India's first train of it's type that was launched in April 2016
- Enjoy various excursions along the way such as a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, Jeep ride ascending Amber Fort and a Rajasthani feast with a local family, all included
- Travel between New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, with English speaking local guides for sightseeing and excursion tours
Spend your days exploring some of the country's most iconic landmarks and spectacular sights on this tour of a lifetime
- Visit the famous Heritage Village of Pragpur, Home to the famous Kangra School of Paintings
- Travel into the famous Himalayas and you will witness the region's rich heritage, breathtaking views and culture
- During the tour, you will visit some of India's most famous monuments including the Golden Temple, India Gate, Qutub Minar and much more
Discover the enchantment of India and marvel at the splendour of the Golden Triangle in style, then follow in the footsteps of the great sultans on a Tiger Safari
- See the Majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, see the Red Fort and then walk down the bustling streets of Chandni Chowk in Delhi
- Tour includes Horse Carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal and Elephant Ride to the Amber Fort
- Discover Ranthambore National Park's Jungle Safari
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...