New Delhi emerges as destination for LGBT travellers
New Delhi, the capital of India, is a thriving district in Delhi, and it is becoming an increasing popular destination for LGBT travellers. From guided tours of magnificent historic architecture and Old Delhi, to rides in bumpy rickshaws and shopping at bustling bazaars or high end boutiques, there's something for every holidaymaker in this cultural hub.
New Delhi, the capital of India, is a thriving district in Delhi, and it is becoming an increasing popular destination for LGBT travellers. From guided tours of magnificent historic architecture and Old Delhi, to rides in bumpy rickshaws and shopping at bustling bazaars or high end boutiques, there’s something for every holidaymaker in this cultural hub.
New Delhi is emerging as a hotspot for LGBT travellers, despite homosexuality not being openlu allowed in India. The capital of India is a bustling hub that offers wide range of activities and attractions, from history to shopping. Over recent years, there have been several efforts made by the LGBT community in India to overturn the 165-year-old law that can give 10 years imprisonment for gay sex, and earlier this year the Supreme Court said it would re-examine the law.
In Delhi, there are numerous places where the LGBT community are welcome such as bars and nightclubs including Concord, Nyx, Miraaz and SKyy Lounge. Every November, the streets of Delhi host the Queer Pride Parade which is more of a celebration of the LGBT community, rather than a protest about the current law.
Travellers visiting the vibrant district of New Delhi will find a variety of things to see and do, whether they’re history buffs or foodies.
Getting around New Delhi by foot can be difficult and dangerous due to the heavy and chaotic traffic, but one of the best ways to see the city is by rickshaw or tuk-tuk. Tourists can take a tour of the city’s architecture where they’ll see gems like the Lotus Temple, Humayun’s Tomb, the temples of Akshardham and Laxminarayan, and the India Gate war memorial.
The Rashtrapati Bhavan (presidential residence) is a must-see, and it’s the world’s largest house for a chief of state. The vast 330-acre complex includes Parliament House the Secretariat, and the beautiful Mughal gardens that span 15 acres. Shopping enthusiasts will love the high end, boutique stores, art galleries and gourmet restaurants in Connaught Place, while the walled city of Old Delhi boasts traditional bazaars where they can soak up the aromas, bustling atmosphere, and haggle with vendors.
In Old Delhi, visitors can stand beneath the beautiful entry gates, before heading to the Red Fort, a 17th-century palace fortress.
Some of the city’s most spectacular landmarks include Lotus Temple, the flower-shaped Baha'i House of Worship; Humayun's Tomb, where the Mughal Emperor Humayu lies; Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India; the Chhatarpur Temple complex for Hindu worship; and the Qutb Minar, the tallest brick minaret in the world located in the UNESCO-listed Qutb complex.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Enjoy the highlights of Cochin, Periyar National Park and Alleppey which is on everyones must-visit list for Kerala
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Add on private tours from an extra Â£99 per person, Â£300Â off the Âusual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
- Add a 7-night Golden Triangle tour (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) from Â£499 per person
- Add three nights at the beachfront Samudra hotel in Kovalam, with breakfast, from Â£170 more per person including transfers
- Enjoy various extras on the tour including Half day sightseeing of Cochin, Kathakali dance performance, boat ride on Lake Periya and Guided walk through a Spice plantation
- The Houseboat offers a floating holiday on the backwaters highway with Rainbow Cruises and is perhaps the most enchanting holiday experience in the world
- English speaking guide will be available throughout your once in a life-time trip
A magical journey on the fastest train in India - A truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Golden Triangle
Travel through the heart of this wonderful country unearthing many hidden gems and witnessing many of India's most famous landmarks and monuments
- Enjoy various excursions along the way such as a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, Jeep ride ascending Amber Fort and a Rajasthani feast with a local family, all included
- Journey on the fastest train in India, the country's very own 'Bullet Train' that was launched in April 2016
- Travel between New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, with English speaking local guides for sightseeing and excursion tours
Go for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and get a fuller taste of India when you combine culture and village lifestyle traditions.
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- This is a journey through the heart of India to explore the old and new part of Delhi the capital city, the Taj Mahal in Agra and much more
- During the tour you will be staying at fabulous comfortable hotels that are all 4* and above
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Travelling by train, the ever-changing scenery will slowly unfold as you move from city to city on this exciting...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...