Hunting native streamertail hummingbirds in tropical Jamaica
The hummingbird is the world's smallest bird, and the Caribbean island of Jamaica boasts its very own native species - the streamertail, also known as the "Doctorbird" due to its long bill that looks like a medical instrument. Jan Brierley, a writer from the Express newspaper, recently visited the tropical island to hunt for the famous tiny hummingbirds and explore the country's thriving local wildlife.
Jamaica is famous for its tropical landscapes and laidback lifestyle, but its diverse wildlife is another reason to visit this Caribbean island. The country is home to four native species of the hummingbird, including the beautiful streamertail. Also known as the “Doctorbird” due to its long bill that looks like a 19-century surgical lancet, the streamertails are the national bird of Jamaica.
Red-billed streamertails can be found in the western side of Jamaica, while the black-billed streamertails can usually be seen in the eastern side. Jan Brierley, a writer from the Express newspaper, recently visited Jamaica to search for these beautiful tiny creatures.
During a guided birdwatching tour at Bluefields on the south coast, Jan was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a hummingbird. He wrote:
“A tiny bird darted by, landing on a flower. To my delight it was a red-billed streamertail supping on nectar and just a few yards away from me.”
Due to their size and nifty movements, hummingbirds are incredibly hard to photograph, but professional photographers are available if travellers want to take home a souvenir picture of their birdwatching experience.
Jamaica is home to 29 endemic birds, but visitors can see up to 300 species of birds in the wild across the island any time of the year due to migrating species and birds from other Caribbean islands coming ashore. The hummingbirds are an important part of Jamaica’s ecosystem, and while they might be tiny, they have a big role to play in helping to pollinate the many wild flowers and trees so they can go on to reproduce.
During her visit to the island, Jan stayed at Mockingbird Hill Hotel which is located in Portland’s hills in the north east. Positioned between the soaring Blue Mountains and the azure sea, the 10-room eco-hotel is nestled within 6.5 acres of lush gardens and trees, and is close to the beautiful Frenchman’s Cove beach.
The boutique hotel has a Garden of Wellness where guests can unwind with pampering treatments amid the flora and fauna; Mille Fleurs restaurant with views of Port Antonio and fresh homemade cuisine; and beautiful tropical gardens where hammocks replace standard garden furniture. The gardens offer the perfect place to enjoy birdwatching and tourists can catch sightings of the Black-billed steamertail hummingbird, as well as 72 species of diverse birds. This hotel has been awarded in past years.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...