Travel + Leisure lists the Greatest Diving Destinations in the World
Stephen Regenold from Travel + Leisure magazine catches up with scuba diving experts to discover their favourite scuba diving sites in the world. Dan Orr, the CEO of Divers Alert Network, Ken Knezick, president of a Houston-based dive travel company, and Tom Phillipp, a dive-equipment company executive, discuss their top spots, from Wakatobi Marine National Park in Indonesia, to California's Channel Islands.
Scuba diving is an activity that transforms people from their busy lives to the serene underwater world. As more people take up the water sport, Stephen Regenold from Travel + Leisure magazine talks to scuba diving experts about their favourite scuba diving spots.
For Dan Orr, the CEO of Divers Alert Network, an organisation for recreational scuba divers, his underwater adventures have taken him to destinations all over the globe. A recent dive trip took him to the Fathom Five National Marine Park on Lake Huron in Canada, where the waters are full of shipwrecks including the 19th-century wooden-hull schooner, Arabia. The ship sank in a storm more than a hundred years ago, and its anchors, masts and wheel sit upright on the deck, preserved in the chilly water.
When he came up from his dive, Orr said:
“That was one of those truly rare diving experiences that never clouds in your mind.”
Ken Knezick, the president of a dive travel company in Houston, says that some of the best diving adventures can be found in the most remote destinations. In the late 1990’s when he first used to visit the Wakatobi Marine National Park in Indonesia, it would take a three days to get there, including a 22-hour boat trip. Knezick stated:
“Despite that arduous journey, it proved to be one of my best-ever diving experiences.”
The reef system in Wakatobi boasts some of the world’s healthiest and most diverse coral species, and even though the area has become more developed, the dive destination continues to be remote and pristine.
Tom Phillipp, a dive-equipment company executive, wrote a chapter in the book Fifty Places to Dive Before You Die. For him, his favourite scuba diving sites are closer to home in the underwater kelp forests off California’s Channel Islands.
In the book, Phillipp writes:
“You glide through stalks suspended in the middle of the water column, the kelp forming a golden canopy on the surface with rays of light from the sun piercing through.”
According to the Travel + Leisure article, some of the world’s best scuba diving destinations include: Ras Mohammed National Park in Egypt, Raja Ampat in Indonesia, Utila Island in Honduras, Los Islotes, Le Paz in Mexico, the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, Santa Rosalia, Sea of Cortez in Mexico, and Cenote Taj Maja near Playa del Carmen in Mexico.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...