Travel + Leisure lists the Greatest Diving Destinations in the World
Stephen Regenold from Travel + Leisure magazine catches up with scuba diving experts to discover their favourite scuba diving sites in the world. Dan Orr, the CEO of Divers Alert Network, Ken Knezick, president of a Houston-based dive travel company, and Tom Phillipp, a dive-equipment company executive, discuss their top spots, from Wakatobi Marine National Park in Indonesia, to California's Channel Islands.
Scuba diving is an activity that transforms people from their busy lives to the serene underwater world. As more people take up the water sport, Stephen Regenold from Travel + Leisure magazine talks to scuba diving experts about their favourite scuba diving spots.
For Dan Orr, the CEO of Divers Alert Network, an organisation for recreational scuba divers, his underwater adventures have taken him to destinations all over the globe. A recent dive trip took him to the Fathom Five National Marine Park on Lake Huron in Canada, where the waters are full of shipwrecks including the 19th-century wooden-hull schooner, Arabia. The ship sank in a storm more than a hundred years ago, and its anchors, masts and wheel sit upright on the deck, preserved in the chilly water.
When he came up from his dive, Orr said:
“That was one of those truly rare diving experiences that never clouds in your mind.”
Ken Knezick, the president of a dive travel company in Houston, says that some of the best diving adventures can be found in the most remote destinations. In the late 1990’s when he first used to visit the Wakatobi Marine National Park in Indonesia, it would take a three days to get there, including a 22-hour boat trip. Knezick stated:
“Despite that arduous journey, it proved to be one of my best-ever diving experiences.”
The reef system in Wakatobi boasts some of the world’s healthiest and most diverse coral species, and even though the area has become more developed, the dive destination continues to be remote and pristine.
Tom Phillipp, a dive-equipment company executive, wrote a chapter in the book Fifty Places to Dive Before You Die. For him, his favourite scuba diving sites are closer to home in the underwater kelp forests off California’s Channel Islands.
In the book, Phillipp writes:
“You glide through stalks suspended in the middle of the water column, the kelp forming a golden canopy on the surface with rays of light from the sun piercing through.”
According to the Travel + Leisure article, some of the world’s best scuba diving destinations include: Ras Mohammed National Park in Egypt, Raja Ampat in Indonesia, Utila Island in Honduras, Los Islotes, Le Paz in Mexico, the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, Santa Rosalia, Sea of Cortez in Mexico, and Cenote Taj Maja near Playa del Carmen in Mexico.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...