Travel + Leisure lists the Greatest Diving Destinations in the World
Stephen Regenold from Travel + Leisure magazine catches up with scuba diving experts to discover their favourite scuba diving sites in the world. Dan Orr, the CEO of Divers Alert Network, Ken Knezick, president of a Houston-based dive travel company, and Tom Phillipp, a dive-equipment company executive, discuss their top spots, from Wakatobi Marine National Park in Indonesia, to California's Channel Islands.
Scuba diving is an activity that transforms people from their busy lives to the serene underwater world. As more people take up the water sport, Stephen Regenold from Travel + Leisure magazine talks to scuba diving experts about their favourite scuba diving spots.
For Dan Orr, the CEO of Divers Alert Network, an organisation for recreational scuba divers, his underwater adventures have taken him to destinations all over the globe. A recent dive trip took him to the Fathom Five National Marine Park on Lake Huron in Canada, where the waters are full of shipwrecks including the 19th-century wooden-hull schooner, Arabia. The ship sank in a storm more than a hundred years ago, and its anchors, masts and wheel sit upright on the deck, preserved in the chilly water.
When he came up from his dive, Orr said:
“That was one of those truly rare diving experiences that never clouds in your mind.”
Ken Knezick, the president of a dive travel company in Houston, says that some of the best diving adventures can be found in the most remote destinations. In the late 1990’s when he first used to visit the Wakatobi Marine National Park in Indonesia, it would take a three days to get there, including a 22-hour boat trip. Knezick stated:
“Despite that arduous journey, it proved to be one of my best-ever diving experiences.”
The reef system in Wakatobi boasts some of the world’s healthiest and most diverse coral species, and even though the area has become more developed, the dive destination continues to be remote and pristine.
Tom Phillipp, a dive-equipment company executive, wrote a chapter in the book Fifty Places to Dive Before You Die. For him, his favourite scuba diving sites are closer to home in the underwater kelp forests off California’s Channel Islands.
In the book, Phillipp writes:
“You glide through stalks suspended in the middle of the water column, the kelp forming a golden canopy on the surface with rays of light from the sun piercing through.”
According to the Travel + Leisure article, some of the world’s best scuba diving destinations include: Ras Mohammed National Park in Egypt, Raja Ampat in Indonesia, Utila Island in Honduras, Los Islotes, Le Paz in Mexico, the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, Santa Rosalia, Sea of Cortez in Mexico, and Cenote Taj Maja near Playa del Carmen in Mexico.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...